PDA

View Full Version : Paying for Audi Connect...

Kestrel
17-07-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm admittedly a thicko when it comes to tech...any tech.
I'm taking delivery of my new car shortly and am having difficulty understanding exactly how the internet access is paid for.
Do I assume that in order to use `Audi Connect` I have to connect my phone to the car and that's how I pay...in the same way as I would if I was making a call? If so, as I'm on PAYG it could prove rather expensive!
Many thanks.
Mike.

M1tchy
17-07-2016, 10:27 AM
So older cars have a slot in the dash where you put a SIM card (like on my 63 plate) and it's through that that I access Audi connect features.

You can also connect your phone if it supports RSAP - which is something Apple doesn't support.

The newer cars apparently have a bonded SIM card which is in the car from the factory and allows you to use most features but I don't believe you can use it as a wifi hotspot unless you put your own SIM card in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kestrel
17-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Thank you `M1tchy`.
I'm afraid I don't know what RSAP means but my car will have this bonded SIM you refer to.
So, in order to set a destination in the Sat Nav and be guided, do I have to connect my phone to the car and thats how I pay?
Many thanks.
Mike.

zappahey
17-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Mine same without a SIM, so I just popped a PAY SIM in. They can be had quite cheaply on Amazon and eBay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xtremist
18-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I set up my phone as a wifi hotspot and use the inclusive data in the car. Mine doesn't have a SIM card in the slot.

You get 3 months of Audi connect free, i.e. just pay for data, after that Audi don't know how to charge people for the services, so an email to Audi UK and they will extend the service :beerchug:

Splash
29-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Can't answer the second bit, but rSAP just means the car acts as a remote handset i.e. it assumes control of the SIM in your phone and can pull data from it. I think it just spoofs the network into thinking the car is now your handset so has the same network privileges; and the phone temporarily becomes dumb.

If you have a Samsung it's likely you can do this - a bluetooth option will appear. So you can use whatever data allowance to access Audi Connect without buying a separate data SIM. That's how it works in my older tech A6 anyway.

I presume your new car grants a licence to access the nav etc. FOC (just data costs) for "x" months. You just choose how you pay for your data...I think...

Vrs_MAJ
03-08-2016, 09:22 PM
So how do I get my MMI 3G to use my phones WiFi hotspot. I CBA to get another sim lol.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

xtremist
05-08-2016, 10:55 AM
So how do I get my MMI 3G to use my phones WiFi hotspot. I CBA to get another sim lol.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Setup a wifi hotspot on your phone (see your instructions), connect to the wifi hotspot using the MMI (see your instructions). :biggthump

bosduif82
22-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Thank you `M1tchy`.
I'm afraid I don't know what RSAP means but my car will have this bonded SIM you refer to.
So, in order to set a destination in the Sat Nav and be guided, do I have to connect my phone to the car and thats how I pay?
Many thanks.
Mike.

The big advantage you have when using rSAP is that it doesn't just connect your phone to you entertainment system in the car, but the system takes over from the phone. This means MMI doesn't need a wifi hotspot from your phone, but can use the existing data connection from your phone to access the internet.

At least that's the theory. I don't own an android phone (iPhone) and can't test it.

As for the payment, you actually need to pay twice. Once for your data connection with your mobile provider and once with audi to subscribe to the audi connect services.

To be honest, I don't like this business model because it's way to expensive and the features don't warrant the price. I'm not reading news-sites in my car, nor do I twitter or Facebook... The only feature I really like is the Google maps integration, especially with real time traffic and I'm not paying 20€ or more a month just for that.

Kestrel
22-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Thank you for that `bosduif82`.
I am utterly confused by all this.
I have been told by my dealer on more than one occasion that I can use all the features of `Audi Connect` FREE for 3 years (I have specced the Tech Pack) even though I do not have a smart phone.
I have my doubts but we'll see on the 1st when I collect the car and check it out!

bosduif82
22-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Thank you for that `bosduif82`.
I am utterly confused by all this.
I have been told by my dealer on more than one occasion that I can use all the features of `Audi Connect` FREE for 3 years (I have specced the Tech Pack) even though I do not have a smart phone.
I have my doubts but we'll see on the 1st when I collect the car and check it out!

It could be correct, and be included in your country when you spec the tech pack.
I don't have the tech pack and got 3 month trial.

Enjoy the car!
I've had mine for 5 days, and I find myself just waiting for new opportunities to drive it. I'm actually excited to finish my holiday next Monday, so I can start commuting again :)

JasonMullins
24-01-2017, 07:50 PM
OK, I've just been round this loop with my new Audi A3 Cabrio (which has the new MMI as per the new A4, etc).

So, bonded sim in the glove compartment. 3 months free Audi Connect that gave me the online services - most usefully Google traffic overlaid on the sat nav map, plus other services like nearest petrol and prices, stations, train times, etc. This does NOT give me a WiFi hotspot except to connect phones to the car to play music over WiFi.

With my iPhone I can use Apple CarPlay which gives me Apple features (Apple Maps and Nav, Siri, Audible, and other apps). Data for this comes off my Phone. The CarPlay and MMI are different systems that do not really connect. I assume that the Android version of Car Play will be much the same.

My 3 months free trial ran out so I followed the links from MyAudi and purchased a 12 month 10GB extension, but it turned out that this is for WiFi only, so now I have a full WiFi hotspot that I don't need!

I queried this with Audi and they don't show a great deal of knowledge around the MMI Connect data and so they just comped my another year. Apparently you have to order MMI Connect data through parts...

Now all fine and the data is back.

No idea what it should have cost. I feel that my dealer and I are learning this together! Any questions, just ask - I've learn't a lot about the MMI Connect system and I like it!

J

jds68
25-01-2017, 12:04 AM
I've learn't a lot about the MMI Connect system and I like it!

My favourite part is being able to send destinations from Google Maps on my pc to the car so they just appear in the sat nav...just so convenient!

JasonMullins
25-01-2017, 12:56 PM
My 3 months free trial ran out so I followed the links from MyAudi and purchased a 12 month 10GB extension, but it turned out that this is for WiFi only, so now I have a full WiFi hotspot that I don't need!

I queried this with Audi and they don't show a great deal of knowledge around the MMI Connect data and so they just comped my another year. Apparently you have to order MMI Connect data through parts...

In fact I just got another email from my friendly Audi rep and he has no idea what this should cost. I guess that they're just comping customers until Audi figures it out! All good for us..

J

Old Nick
26-01-2017, 11:32 AM
The dealer is correct - When the 3 years is up on my car, I will not be renewing at £10/month.

noscream
31-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Simplest way is to buy a PAYG sim or a cheap PAY MONTHLY, for about £5 / month (12x £5 = £60 a year) you can get a SIM with around 1-2Gb of DATA / month.

The car uses 300MB / month (yes mega byte) so 1-2Gb is alot. You also get your car to have a PHONE Number from that sim if your phone ever dies.....
I use a "ID" SIM (car phone warehouse) which was on a deal £5 for 2GB / month.... I still connect my phone for ANDROID AUTO & HANDS FREE car kit facility.

The SIM in the car gets you the ability to download DATA from AUDI CONNECT services which is the bit you got for FREE (3 months trial or 3 years for TECH PACK USERS).
you still need the SIM for the DATA transfer, LOOK at the SIM as a ISP (INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER) and AUDI CONNECT as a low grade google web site...

The best bit is ANDROID AUTO or APPLE CAR PLAY, plug your phone into the USB port with a USB cable and 10 seconds latter it's in the main menu.....
I stream music, pod casts, radio stations from USA, around the UK, Spotify, Tune in , deezer... it's so good..

Then there is "ok Google" and google maps.....
Car is so dame good...
I miss by A6 for size but that's all, the A4 is far sexier.....