PDA

View Full Version : Strange rear lights issue.

JMB7
12-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Month old 4m Q7.
Twice now I've gotten a warning in the mmi regarding a vehicle lights malfunction and today I seemed to have narrowed it down.

With the engine running and lights on or in auto mode but on if the boot is opened the main rear light clusters on the boot go off and do not come back on once the boot closes. This affects all the main brake lights, indicators and running lights.
This occurs every time the boot is opened with the engine running and lights on, but has only ever given an error twice.....so God knows how many times I've driven without the main rear indicators and brake lights not functioning. (The smaller ones in the bumper trim aren't affected fortunately).

Just wondered if anyone else's does this?
Booked in next Thursday which is the earliest emergency appointment they had.

srbsq7
12-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Will check tonight. Good job you spotted it - not one to find out the hard way!

Nemo78
12-07-2016, 01:23 PM
I'll check later for you as srbsq7 says good spot!

andyhud007
12-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Strange one... I'll try mine also

Nemo78
12-07-2016, 05:44 PM
All seems fine - just tested with engine on and lights in auto..as opening boot lights go off and bottom bumper lights on....

On shutting bottoms go off and boot lights come on

JMB7
12-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Cheers Nemo, obviously a fault on mine. The rear bumper ones stay on when boot closes and boot ones stay off. Quite dangerous.
Hope it's an easy fix as I really don't want to have to argue with Audi UK for months again!

satyp
12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Barely seen car since it's arrival ..hoping to get Xtra time called on it on Sunday as no swimming for the kids... I'm making notes on checks I can post differences on..

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

srbsq7
12-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Hi JMB, mine comes back on okay. There was a brief pause of 1-2 seconds but they did come back on.

JMB7
12-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Cheers, some further information from Nemo regarding hearing of an alignment issue causing similar made me check a few things.
Adjusted the three rear child seats so the boot protector fitted slightly further in, didn't seem to help. Then I had a feel of the rubber stops on the inside of the boot and twisted one slightly as it felt loose. The mmi always showed boot as fully closed so it must have just been missing a contact for the lights.

It now seems to function as it should with the lights coming on a few seconds after boot closure. God knows how long I've been driving with it like this as the warning only showed twice but once I found the issue it happened on each opening of the boot.

Feel better driving it now but still going to get the dealer to check it although they probably won't be able to reproduce it now. Free clean at least.

srbsq7
12-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Great that you've found the cause and fixed it.

People behind you must have thought you were one of those whiplash fraudsters (in a very nice car?!?)