PDA

View Full Version : Question Remap PCP finance

HazGTD
12-07-2016, 07:58 AM
I've researched quite a lot but I seeing different answers? I want to remap my VW Golf GTD, apparently people have done it and took it into the dealer for a service and they haven't found it, also they have told their dealer about the remap and they didn't mind as long as map was taken off before they give car back? I'm thinking about ringing up my dealer and asking? Any of you done it?

Sorry if I posted in wrong place in new here

Guest 2
12-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Modifying a car when in warranty is a big no-no. Even if the map is removed the computer can still pick it up and will void your engine warranty.

This isn't advised as with most PCP plans, most people don't pay the final ownership payment so technically the car isn't yours to modify in the first place.

HazGTD
12-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Yeah I see, I'll ring my dealership up and see if I'm aloud, thanks

Guest 2
12-07-2016, 08:18 AM
You won't be as the finance company still own the car until you pay the optional ownership payment plus as advised, remapping or modifying when in warranty is a big no-no.

HazGTD
12-07-2016, 08:21 AM
So how come I've read in other forums that people have remapped and told there dealer and they said it's fine, I've even seen people trade their car in with a map on for another car? My mate had a mini with an exhaust and lowered and he traded it in and he was on PCP

zollaf
12-07-2016, 08:23 AM
if you read it on a forum then it must be true.

Guest 2
12-07-2016, 08:24 AM
You take the risk.

There have been cases where the car has been taken off the driver due to modifications and they've been pads to pay the remaining balance of the term and have no car.

What you're basically doing is driving a rental car until you decide whether to own it or not. It's not your car to modify nor take it away from the standard manufacturer specification until it's outside of warranty and/or you own it.

HazGTD
12-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Don't get cocky lool obviously I'm not that stupid but just saying that people have obviously done it on a PCP deal and their dealer been fine with it

HazGTD
12-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Rang dealer and the woman said that as long as the map is taken off before end of the agreement it will be okay

Eshrules
12-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Rang dealer and the woman said that as long as the map is taken off before end of the agreement it will be okay

Which dealership was this, just out of interest?

zollaf
12-07-2016, 10:29 AM
i would want it in writing.

rowdy-999
12-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Some info i found online. It's fine until something goes wrong:

This morning, Seat UK formally confirmed that the car's warranty on the ECU and Engine is void. They are not prepared to investigate the matter any further, believing the REVO code, and that alone is the cause of the ECU's inability to communicate with the rest of the car, and VAGCOM. Furthermore, they have cancelled the breakdown assistance for the vehicle too, as it has been substantially altered outside of the original spec. They said that any further breakdown on the car is highly unlikley going to be atributed to the OE hardware in the car, and is due to the engine running outside of the recommended spec.

The vehice is under a contracted finance agreement also, and they also believe I have broken the terms of that contract, and have demanded payment in full within 28 days for the outstanding balance, or the goods returned to them in original condition (fair wear and tear excluded).

Yep-I'm sure the dealer will be fine with it.

B5NUT
16-07-2016, 09:16 AM
OP I take it you have not heard of TD1 code, I would read this before remapping your car. Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc... - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492)

VW have become intolerant of people mapping their cars then expect VW to cover the warranty on the engine/gearbox/drivetrain if things go wrong.

Also it's not the dealers that will refuse the warranty work it's VW themselves. So I would take what ever you hear over the phone with a pinch of salt, even if you got it in writing from the dealer, you need it it writing from VW Germany (And you will never get that).