PDA

View Full Version : Question Dual Mass Flywheel problems

Harnell
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I am advised that there was a problem affecting the Dual Mass flywheel on older Skoda's/ Volkswagens that caused them to fail with alarming regularity resulting in a costly gearbox replacement and engine rebuild, but that this problem has been largely fixed on the newer models. I am thinking of buying a 2013 (new shape) Skoda Octavia with 92,000 miles on the clock, 6 speed manual 2.0l diesel (elegance spec). One owner form new, (Volkswagen finance rep), so I am guessing most of those miles are motorway driving. Went to see it yesterday and it sounds sound as a bell, no excessive vibration through the clutch pedal when idling or driving. Any comments?

zollaf
10-07-2016, 01:05 PM
lol, if you leave any dmf once it starts rattling its head off then it can break and come out through the bellhousing, thus costing you large sums of dosh. this applies to any car, not just vag. there is no alarming regularity to it though, nor was there. its just people being tight and not doing jobs that need to be done.

garryboy mk4
12-07-2016, 01:23 AM
The DMF should never have to be replaced. It should not be a wear and tear item and should last the lifespan of the car. The clutch plate should be the wear and tear item that gets replaced. They are just such a poor design and really not up to the job they are designed for.
The whole DMF concept is unnecessary especially in petrol engines. The research and development for refinement should have gone into increased dampening in the clutch itself and leaving the Flywheel solid and then designing the other components to work with the solid flywheel ie stronger input shaft and gearbox

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk