PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing or something else ?

Wokingwedger
06-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Audi A6 C7 94000 miles Multitronic (and the gearbox is just fine thank you)

At approx 25 to 40 mph there is a gentle but distinct whump whump whump realative to road speed. I checked the wheels and tyres (new in Feb), had them check balanced, swapped front to back, noise still there .

Garage weren't sure,but suspected offside front wheel bearing.

Had that changed and the noise is still there, so they suggest maybe the other side !

Hmmmph !

I think it is slightly worse on right hand bends, so maybe weight transfer would suggest nearside. Logical ?

Can the assembled company perhaps suggest what else can be checked please ?

jcdub
06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
I had a Passat cc 2009 which had a front wheel bearing gone. The noise was on the driver's side and nothing could be heard on the passenger side. So I replaced the driver's side bearing and the noise was still there. Anyway after much investigating, I decided to swap out the passenger bearing as a last ditch effort. It worked. So it's possible it's the opposite bearing

Wokingwedger
06-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I guess I have to try that next.

I tried putting it in N and coasting to eliminate at least part of the drive train, but its still there.

It doesn't change when you press the brakes, so not discs.

I guess it has to be either the nearside bearing or CV joint (or what ever type of flexible drive coupling it is).

Anybody with any other thoughts ?

jcdub
06-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Is the sound in it from a cold start or does it come into the car within the first 5-10 minutes?

Wokingwedger
06-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Is the sound in it from a cold start or does it come into the car within the first 5-10 minutes?

Hmm not sure I will check.

On some road surfaces it doesn't appear to do it, and my ear takes a time to pick it out. Other times it is very very noticeable (even to my wife an daughter who don't have any sort of mechanical sympathy or an ear for noises)

istate75
06-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Hmm not sure I will check.

On some road surfaces it doesn't appear to do it, and my ear takes a time to pick it out. Other times it is very very noticeable (even to my wife an daughter who don't have any sort of mechanical sympathy or an ear for noises)

I had something similar on my 2013 multi, and it turned out to be a gearbox flange bearing. Changed and it has completely gone. It was about 4 months ago.

The sound was definitely a whom, whom type sound during gentle/ normal acceleration (i.e. not pushing it) at speeds between 25-40mph 'ish'

Wokingwedger
06-07-2016, 10:48 PM
I had something similar on my 2013 multi, and it turned out to be a gearbox flange bearing. Changed and it has completely gone. It was about 4 months ago.

The sound was definitely a whom, whom type sound during gentle/ normal acceleration (i.e. not pushing it) at speeds between 25-40mph 'ish'

Urgh, thanks for the input, but I seriously hope it's not that, it sounds expensive. Was it ?

Wokingwedger
07-07-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the interest.

The noise is there from cold.

What are thoughts ?

istate75
07-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Urgh, thanks for the input, but I seriously hope it's not that, it sounds expensive. Was it ?

No idea what it cost as it was repaired under warranty (3 weeks before it ran out). They did have the car 2 days though.

robbyg
22-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Any update / News?

burningoil
29-07-2016, 03:49 PM
1.5 yr old a6 2.0 190 se = in for oil service, problems with CV boot joint, re-lubed ? seems OK probbaly wont last.

Wokingwedger
29-07-2016, 04:32 PM
After replacing the offside front bearing with no benefit, the near side was replaced and all is well again.

jcdub
29-07-2016, 11:33 PM
So I was right lol. My passat cc was a ventriloquist too when it can to front wheel bearing noise