PDA

View Full Version : Reversing light keeps failing

daffs
03-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Is it just me, I've had my a4 b8 for about 6 years and I keep getting "left reversing light failure" warning about every 18 months.
I change bulbs and that sometimes fixes it, when it doesn't I change the cluster holder and that fixes it until the next time!
Had it changed under warranty once, that's how long this has been going on.
No other issues, except the usual - fuel cap solenoid, passenger door mechanism.

Any suggestions before I take it in as the bulb change hasn't worked. It's always the left (near) side.
Thanks

mhurer
05-07-2016, 06:33 AM
Mine will fail about once a year.

Having experienced something very similar with my Passat, which I could not find a permanent fix for, I just fiddle around with the bulb and wires and it solves the problem for around another 12 months.

Costs nothing, and something I can leave with given it happens so infrequently.

Could be something to do with the contacts in the connection to the cluster holder that just needs a clean.

ru55
18-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Is it just me, I've had my a4 b8 for about 6 years and I keep getting "left reversing light failure" warning about every 18 months.
I change bulbs and that sometimes fixes it, when it doesn't I change the cluster holder and that fixes it until the next time!
Had it changed under warranty once, that's how long this has been going on.
No other issues, except the usual - fuel cap solenoid, passenger door mechanism.

Any suggestions before I take it in as the bulb change hasn't worked. It's always the left (near) side.
Thanks

Can I ask what you did with the passenger lock as I am finally thinking about doing something on this. So far it has been intermittent over the last 3 years and car is now 8 years old. Battery has been dodgy for last 4 plus years so I suspect that will be next. A periodic charge has been enough to let it limp on!

Alan02
18-09-2016, 09:28 PM
It could be a wiring issue elsewhere rather than at the lamp. Have you checked a wiring diagram to trace back? It could also be central electrics issue.