PDA

View Full Version : Numerous Newbie Questions!

DarrenQ7
01-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi - I've just picked up a gorgeous 2012 Q7 SLine Plus.

The titanium 21" wheels are stunning - but holy crap I think they have a magnetic pull towards any kerb. I'm unlucky in that I have to go through two width restrictions and a narrow car park entrance to get to work - so I've managed to catch 3 of them already. Gutted is not the work - as they were perfect when I picked it up as the garage had had them refurbed! Getting them referred might be a yearly occurrence at this rate !!

My questions are mainly around the MMI and AMI.

1. Firstly can anyone tell me if I have the most up-to date version of the MMI software :

2. When playing with the car I turned on the WLAN - and now everytime I start the car it asks me to connect a phone or sim. I can't see how to turn this back off again -is there a setting somewhere?
3. However on that topic - I have an iPhone - so SIM Access Profile is a no go for me. Having done research I seem to believe that if I purchased a data SIM for the front panel, I could no longer use my phone over bluetooth to make and receive calls? Is there any software/firmware update that can help with that?
4. The car didn't come with any AMI cables - so do I have to get the official Audi ones - or will the ones on eBay do just a good a job?
5. Is there a way to program the mirrors so that they auto fold when I lock the car - and the passenger one gives me kerb view when I select reverse. Unfortunately it didn't come with the memory pack, where I think these things are standard - but I was wondering if they could be turned on with some computer magic!?

I think that's it for now - no doubt there will be more questions shortly!!

Thanks in advance
Darren

Q7newbie
01-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Aloha Darren! Welcome to motoring nirvana (I exaggerate).

So, about the WLAN. you can have a data Sim in the front slot which will give you Google Earth and make your a car a hotpot and give you live traffic updates etc. AND still be able to use your phone via Bluetooth.

The settings to make this happen are all in your telephone settings sub-menues. Unfortunately, the menu layouts are quite convoluted to put it politely!

If you dont want to use the WLAN module, you can turn it off. It's literally the final option in the WLAN/WiFi Settings. It's called the "data module".

I've no experience with the fleabay AMI cables. But I'd advise getting a real one. Depending on what device you want it for, I actually have a few unused spare ones kicking about. So PM me and I could hook you up at a bargain as I no longer need them for the 4M Q7.

In regards to kerb view for passenger side mirror, that's a 2mins job via VCDS. depending on where you're located in the UK, there's loads of great guys around who can sort that for you (in exchange for pint or so usually!).

I hope that helps, but if anything else crops up, ask away!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DarrenQ7
04-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Q7Newbie (I'll PM you about the cables cheers) - you've already solved one of my issues by telling me how to turn off the WLAN module!! I couldn't find it myself for the life of me! Doesn't help that the MMI 'manual' I have must have been written for an older version of firmware, as half the time it's completely different to what's on the screen!!

I'm in Berkshire - so if anyone knows a friendly guy with VCDS let me know. I had a Merc ML before and all these little things that it did as standard aren't standard on the Audi. However, having said that the engine and gearbox of the Q7 are silky smooth - and make the ML sound like a tractor :p

I thought I'd need a later version of the MMI firmware to have both the front SIM working as data and bluetooth on the phone for calls - but if that's not the case it saves me one job to sort out. Now just got to find a decent data SIM package!

Cheers
Darren

andyhud007
04-07-2016, 05:14 PM
We are looking to have a Q7 Meet toward end of September by the looks of things (check Sticky thread at top of Q7 forum). I'll be there with VCDS and everything else if you want stuff done if you come along

Andy

DarrenQ7
04-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Cheers Andy - do we know where it will be yet - or is that a touchy subject :o !

andyhud007
04-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Not 100% yet mate, but I think the last place was Milton Keynes(ish).... but its not decided 100% yet, we are just trying to nail a date first.

satyp
04-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi

On Data Front

@Darren I think after reading the threads here and online you'l find that EE - DATA ONLY (for the 4L series esp. Dependent usage pattern of course) offer the best value on the BIG Four (If is still that after all the merging and acquisitions going round of late ) - .

On the 4M, I bought a three data only (PAYG) 12GB for £24 (12 month valid) via mymemory as initial trial as I also want to see what the EUROPE tariffs on the car will be like when if the come out for Audi Connect.

As a fallback I managed to find a loophole with existing three PAYM customers to benefit form the new 30GB hot spotting on the unlimited tariffs for £23pm, So think I will just stick to that dependent how it's over the year. Of the other PAYG MVNO's - I find Giffgaff offered good deals but a lot conditions that keep changing with regards to hot spot limits etc

Hope it helps..

satyp
04-07-2016, 07:14 PM
ON VCDS abd VCDing etc

Still waitinggggggg for the new q still in any case

I've been an Audi Owner for over 7 and a Q7 for the last 3 and after joining here I've certainly heard a lot more on that SUBJECT on here and more recently with the NEW Q too. I know it applies to more vehicles.

However, I just wanted to ask anyone here if there a BIG learning curve to get into it, not hardcore but at least beginner level, for someone who has the odd weekend to themselves, - any thoughts?

Cheers

JMB7
04-07-2016, 08:05 PM
I bought the cheaper OBDeleven device, haven't done any coding before but following various guides, including Andy's I was able to quickly turn off the seatbelt chime, enable the needle sweep and lap timer. Very easy.
One thing with this device is that it cannot access some of the more interesting modules yet. I really want to make the button press time required to open the boot much longer as i keep opening it accidentally with keys in pocket but its not possible with OBDeleven.

Considering VCDS but its a big investment for something I probably wouldn't use very often.

andyhud007
04-07-2016, 09:48 PM
I second JMB7s comments. Vcds (and vag com) are both deep in their functionality (you can remap an engine with vag com for example) and I use them but have done for years so the investment for me is a no brainer but if you want to just to simple coding changes then odbeleven serves the purpose well by the sounds of things.

satyp
04-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Is the outlay bag /vcds app £300 upwards .. I guess OBDeleven seems like a good start to test the learning curve waters..

Years of experience as Andy has sounds a bit daunting for me :-0

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

andyhud007
05-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Yeah. You are looking at 300quid for vcds and 250 ish for vag com. Odbeleven seems a good middle ground and you can do it all on your phone.

satyp
05-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Nice one Andy cheers s

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

DarrenQ7
05-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Back on the SIM front again - does the car work with 4G or is it limited to 3G? Just working out if network coverage / speed is an issue. If it's 3G only then it's not so much of a worry.

Cheers
Darren

andyhud007
05-07-2016, 03:40 PM
4G LTE mate.

Edit: My Bad. thats new Q7. Not sure on 4L version.

Q7newbie
05-07-2016, 06:37 PM
The 4L will only work upto 3G. But even then, it has 6 attenae lines integrated into the car, so the actual network quality is always as good as possible for wherever you are.
Network wise, I've always had a Three Sim simply because they're the best balance of cheapness and network coverage for me. Three aren't the rubbish also-ran network of years gone.
Ultimately, you'll find one that works for you I'm sure!

Q7newbie
05-07-2016, 06:40 PM
As for tweaking your beloved, with Jesus-esq wizards like Andy amongst us, you could actually even forgo buying any gear, and simply make it to a meet and flutter your eyelashes sweetly! He's a sucker for Blondes........
And brunettes.......

And red heads too it seems! 😜