PDA

View Full Version : Ticking / Clicking noise from passenger side

rob_ldn
01-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

A week into having the car and I love it. Just keep on noticing a odd noise from the passenger side, seems like something electrical... best way to describe the noise is... imagine a very old rotary telephone, where you had to turn the dial round for the number you wanted and it would then rotate back round to zero; that noise, over and over again.

It happens every once in a while. Thinking it may be a hard drive..? Either way, its quite loud and a little annoying.

Any idea what this is?

Nemo78
01-07-2016, 11:38 AM
There is a thread here somewhere on this it's either MMI unit, or key we all have various reasons but key seems to be the one

rob_ldn
01-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Key??

Big_D_80
01-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Here's a link to a video showing the problem... New 2016 Audi Q7 Problem Clicking Ticking Noise Keyless Go Antenna - YouTube (https://youtu.be/MEBT7B9dRNY)
Someone else from Japan uploaded a similar video to youtube and there are discussions in US forums about it. Its a worldwide problem with the key antenna, and its personally driving me insane!
I've had 2 new Q7s - both had the same issue and I've the problem logged with Audi UK for about 6 months now. Most new Q7's appear to have the same issue and I think its a major fault with the car.
I would recommend you complain hard to your dealer and Audi UK and let's get them to sort an update fix for this.
The clicking noise comes from underneath the plastic key tray in the centre console and the tapping sound corresponds to the LED flicking on the key. The car is constantly looking for the key within the car every time you pull off or randomly at low speeds.

rob_ldn
01-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Yes! Thats the noise! I tried opening the glove box to see if it was coming from inside that, but it was not. So its coming from the cup holder area? I find it bloody annoying!

Should I just raise this with the dealer?

"The clicking noise comes from underneath the plastic key tray in the centre console and the tapping sound corresponds to the LED flicking on the key."

I didn't even know the key had an LED until just now! :biglaugh:

Big_D_80
01-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes! Thats the noise! I tried opening the glove box to see if it was coming from inside that, but it was not. So its coming from the cup holder area? I find it bloody annoying!

Should I just raise this with the dealer?

"The clicking noise comes from underneath the plastic key tray in the centre console and the tapping sound corresponds to the LED flicking on the key."

I didn't even know the key had an LED until just now! :biglaugh:

Id definitely mention it to the dealer. The only way this will get sorted is if enough people complain about it so they prioritise a fix. It is unbelievably annoying and spoils my enjoyment of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_D_80
01-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Some more links regarding the problem:
Ticking noise from lower console - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/ticking-noise-lower-console-2901874/)

Audi Q7 problem-20160420 ticking noise in key box/New Audi Q7/Audi Q7 2016 - YouTube (https://youtu.be/mZ8jN3tOlJI)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srbsq7
01-07-2016, 01:07 PM
I was wondering whether it was limited to the standard key (as opposed to advanced) but pretty sure Andy has the issue and the Adv Key. Strange, I don't have it so it must be resolvable.

andyhud007
01-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Correct Sir, I did hear it with Adv Key but I'm past caring now...

andyhud007
01-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Just incase anyone missed it there is an official UK TPI to fix this. Just ask your dealer if you have the issue. They will find it on their system (I dont have the exact TPI number sadly)

Andy

rob_ldn
01-11-2016, 11:35 PM
I have the issue and asked multiple times and they did not have an update, they even had the car for a day and said they could not replicate.

srbsq7
02-11-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm sure either on here or audiworld, that someone recently posted an article which explained how to make the noise happen? It was something strange like pushing a button several times?

srbsq7
02-11-2016, 12:07 AM
Here you go ( from noxqzs)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161101/74b770111964144076f9a4ca4a375618.png

andyhud007
02-11-2016, 09:44 AM
SrbSq7's TSB report as I understand from my dealer is the US version of the issue.

When I go pick my car up today I'll ask them for the TSB number for the UK version. That way any dealer can look it up specifically by that TSB number. No excuses then.

The fix definitely works.

andyhud007
02-11-2016, 02:08 PM
For those of you with dealers struggling to find the TPI related to this issue the number you need to give them is: TPI 2043248/2 (UK Cars only). This is a warranty fix so FOC.

Cheers

Andy