PDA

View Full Version : LTE Bands

JonoNZ
30-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Hi

Has anyone seen any information on what LTE bands and/or frequencies the 4M Q7 mobile data supports?

Q7newbie
30-06-2016, 01:08 PM
From my understanding, the 4M like any 4G capable device is made with the capability to handle data over any 4G frequency. The only determinant of what frequency it does handle will be the first network provider itself and the bandwidths it works within.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

JonoNZ
30-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Thanks, I was interested on whether it had 700Mhz LTE support as we have a lot of that in NZ on some carriers and may affect which one I go with for the car. It looks like there is also an MIB2+ (vs MIB2) which supports LTE Advanced, it's unclear if the MY17 Q7 gets this or not.

Q7newbie
01-07-2016, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't worry much about LTE Advanced. Contrary to what telecoms marketing departments globally would have you believe, LTE Advanced doesn't actually REALLY exist yet. No ISP has the infrastructure in place let alone the software and I interface needed to deliver LTE ADVANCED. (1 gigabit/second when used while stationary).

Cynical and skeptical me is reluctant to believe that Audi or any other car brand would spend money now "future-proofing" the connectivity abilities of their cars with hardware that's so niche currently, that it'll cost them more than it would if they wait a year or so until LTE Advanced has become more volumatically commonplace.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

JonoNZ
01-07-2016, 01:45 AM
I'm not worried about LTE Advanced, there are only a couple of test sites in NZ, and we're years away from any kind of widespread deployment here. 700Mhz support on the other hand is much more important - that determines whether in some areas coverage exists on a particular carrier or not.

My note about MIB2+ was purely from the point of view that it's interesting that Audi have updated the hardware again already.