PDA

View Full Version : SQ7 - talk me out of it

A7_UFO
29-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Morning all

Haven't been on for a while, after taking ownership of our 272 S Line 6wks ago. We're loving the car....but I'd really like an SQ7! Has anyone driven one? I know the dealership would tear my arms and legs off, but I'm interested in walking in with £20k and doing a PX deal. I'm really hoping the difference in performance is marginal (I obviously know it's not) and that you're all going to say "Simon, don't be an idiot" and "stick with what you've got".

Opinions welcome.

elrao
29-06-2016, 08:58 AM
To be honest, I think you would probably need more than £20k, unless your car is exceptionally well specced and going for a basic SQ7!

I considered it and it was going to be about £20k difference on top of what I am paying new for my Q7 (although that assumes little / no discount offered on an SQ7, compared to 10% seeming standard on a regular Q7).

For me it came down to whether we wanted one car that did it all, or one large luxury cruiser (the 272 Q7) and one fast run-around that still had space for the kids (RS3). I've got an RS3, waiting for the Q7...

A7_UFO
29-06-2016, 09:25 AM
We're a one car family, as I get the train to work everyday
So I can afford to have a unpractical practical family car.

zollaf
29-06-2016, 09:26 AM
i think you are best off taking one out for a testdrive myself. you will probably hate it anyway..

Nemo78
29-06-2016, 09:27 AM
My dealers are currently offering 0% discount on the SQ7...and have sold a couple - not that I asked about swapping. I haven't actually checked broker sites for discounts.

I'm going to be honest hang on and don't do it. But I maybe being biased having had several problems with my Qs, it just worries me on what early bugs the SQ may have...it may not have any.

Depreciation on your current Q will be a little more than you expect it to be. Mine was £15k at the 6 month mark appreciate yours is only 6wks old.

Hang on, let them come out, test drive it, then maybe just maybe pull the trigger to buy if you really really want one.

Gyro
29-06-2016, 09:30 AM
There's no harm in speaking to the dealer and seeing what they say, like elrao says, the specs of both cars will have an impact. Bear in mind you get VC, S suspension, leather, and reversing camera standard with the SQ7. If you go nuts with the option you may find it's more than £20k...I started off with not much and it ballooned to about £12k worth of options in the end. Also, my build week is looking like December (TBC), so there may be a longer time for you to save up some extra pennies :biglaugh:

Flippant comment alert: you only live once and you can't take it with you...!

srbsq7
29-06-2016, 10:21 AM
If I didn't have a Q7 yet and was considering ordering from scratch, I would be tempted by the SQ7 with a lower spec. That said, having had mine for 5 weeks, I am very happy with the overall performance. It's such a comfortable car i've found it's altered my driving style. When I have given it full throttle, it's plenty quick enough but that has been rare compared to previous car. It's a lot of money to be handing over to Audi in such a short period of time. Perhaps targeting a swap in 18 months would be a sweet spot and help ensure no new-model issues and perhaps better discounts?

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 10:26 AM
When I spoke to my dealer to swap mine with the SAME spec as I have in the Q7 now to a factory order SQ7 with the addition of Power Door Closure, I would need to throw in another £23,000 deposit to keep the same monthly instalments

Nah, I'll stick with mine for 2/3 years while I save up for a big deposit on an Sq7 then.

A7_UFO
29-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Spoke to the dealer. He didn't even mention financials and said he won't be getting a SQ7 in until the end of the year.

elrao
29-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Yeah, so they will price your car as a PX based on age when the new car arrives, so even if only £15k off RRP (call it £45k on £60k) you are probably going to need more like £30k to get an SQ7 if there are no discounts

A7_UFO
29-06-2016, 01:03 PM
yep....on that basis it won't be viable. It's not as though the 272 is 'bad' enough/SQ7 good enough to warrant such a short term hit.

A7_UFO
05-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Car Brokers | New Car Brokers | UK Car Broker (Www.ukcarbroker.co.uk) is offering Sept delivery for £65k plus options. I don't know much about the optional packages, but a lot is standard on the sq7.