PDA

View Full Version : Spotify through MMI

SlopeyDodds
28-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Hi,
Just taken delivery of new Q7 today and am suffering from information overload at the moment !!
What I'm trying to do is to play downloaded offline music from Spotify on my Samsung S4 controlling it thru the MMI,
At the moment I can play via bluetooth, but got to select albums etc on my phone.
I have registered on the"my audi" website and have a pin number, do i need to set up audi connect for this to work?
I have the Technology pack.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pete

Nemo78
28-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Hello, Welcome and Congrats!!

From memory through MMI unless you have Audi Smartphone Interface you'd need to Bluetooth stream it selecting your phone from the Media option.

Now this is what I can't remember as its been ages since I've tried...you need to open Spotify on your phone and select what you want - hit play and it should stream through.

If you're using Smartphone Interface then (can only speak for Apple CarPlay) you get the app option on MMI screen which lets you click through and select playlists etc

This is all from memory and I can't confirm as don't have the car - hopefully one of the other helpful folk will jump in [emoji1360]

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Nemo is right. To get Spotify in the MMI "screen" in the car you need the Audi SmartPhone Interface otherwise your only option is to stream via Bluetooth and yes you have to choose stuff on your phone to play

Its why I went to Napster which is built into the MMI. Its just as good in my (very personal opinion) and I can control everything through the MMI

Granted - Doesn't answer why Spotify integration (without Audi Smartphone Interface) isn't in the MMI but thats a different convo.

SlopeyDodds
29-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Many thanks for your replies, I was under the impression "smart phone interface" was part of the technology package
which I have ?
Would I need to set up Audi connect before it would work ?
I registered on the "my Audi" website and was given an 8 digit pin to enter into the MMI,
but also have the key fob with a coating on to rub off to reveal a different 10 digit vehicle code,
getting a bit confused, doesn't take much !!
Will have to look intoN apster if this is a no go, thanks again for all your help.

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 10:24 AM
only the newer cars have the Audi SmartPhone Interface (Android Auto and Apple Car Play). You'll know if you put the respective app on your phone and plug it into the USB port in the centre armrest. If you see the Android/Apple menu item appear in the MMI then you have it.

It does NOT come with tech pack.

The numbers on your key fob can be scratched off (we have all done it) but it cant be used in the UK market (yet), so its actually pointless.

You can register in MyAudi though for sending map destinations to your car, twitter, POI updates, News/RSS feeds etc... Thats what the 8 Digit Pin from the website is for. The one you scratched off on your keys isnt used in the UK sadly.

srbsq7
29-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Many thanks for your replies, I was under the impression "smart phone interface" was part of the technology package
which I have ?
Would I need to set up Audi connect before it would work ?
I registered on the "my Audi" website and was given an 8 digit pin to enter into the MMI,
but also have the key fob with a coating on to rub off to reveal a different 10 digit vehicle code,
getting a bit confused, doesn't take much !!
Will have to look intoN apster if this is a no go, thanks again for all your help.

Unfortunately it sat outside the tech pack. Tech Pack was:
- Virtual Cockpit
- Audi Connect
- Head Up Display
- Phone Box
- High-beam assist

The smartphone interface was a £350 option until MY17. :(

Nemo78
29-06-2016, 10:40 AM
The easiest way to know whether or not you have Smartphone Interface is looking at the menu options in the car...somewhere between Navigation and Audi Connect I think it is you'll see Audi Smartphone Interface...if it's not there then unfortunately you won't have it

SlopeyDodds
29-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Ok I think the car is "MY16" so musn't have it.
The salesman yesterday was surprised it wasn't working thru the mmi, and says i must need a lead, which he didn't have
so has ordered one, but i don't somehow think thats going to sort it!!
Thanks again for all your help

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 11:30 AM
I think your right, its nothing to do with lead, just a normal USB cable for your phone would work.

More like it isnt there sadly.

We are working on finding out if it can be retrofitted as its only software, but it looks like its locked to VIN's of cars...

wolek76
29-06-2016, 02:51 PM
only the newer cars have the Audi SmartPhone Interface (Android Auto and Apple Car Play). You'll know if you put the respective app on your phone and plug it into the USB port in the centre armrest. If you see the Android/Apple menu item appear in the MMI then you have it.

It does NOT come with tech pack.

The numbers on your key fob can be scratched off (we have all done it) but it cant be used in the UK market (yet), so its actually pointless.

You can register in MyAudi though for sending map destinations to your car, twitter, POI updates, News/RSS feeds etc... Thats what the 8 Digit Pin from the website is for. The one you scratched off on your keys isnt used in the UK sadly.

I must disagree with you Andy on this one.
I took a replacement Q7 last Saturday and I got the remote unlocking business to work!
It was stupidly complicated and it took me a few attempts to get this going.
The scratch business in the plastic key fob is to verify whether you are the right person. And you only do it once you have been verified by my/your audi.com business.
Here is a screenshot from my AudiMMI app:

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Always happy to be corrected! Guess it's now possible on the newer cars then perhaps?

wolek76
29-06-2016, 03:04 PM
It must be.
I had to let go of the old Q7 because it wasn't as specified by me (I think the dealer thought i wouldn't notice???)
After a week of fonecalls/emails they agreed to build me a new one and take the old one as PX (it wasnt that easy but thats the nearest description of what happened)
So I had the old one for a 3 month extended 'test drive' :D
Now, the new one must be a newer build as it does have a smartphone interface (not sure I like that, yet) (and I did not tick that while building)
sadly I do not know my build week number
the order was sent to audi on 5th may, and the car was ready for me on 24th june...
edit:
just realised...
it was 5th april..., it did take almost 3 months
silly me :)

Nemo78
29-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Wolek you must have one the first few MY17 cars I'm guessing.

Also guessing you have the embedded sim which allows all of the above...

wolek76
29-06-2016, 03:25 PM
yes, there is an embedded sim, and it works, but for the time being I am using the sim I had on the old one (untill it runs out of GB's or minutes)
then I will have a closer look at the embeded one

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Been thinking, I thought the remote unlock etc only works if you have the embedded SIM, however, as we know from the small print if you put your own sim in the glove box all that then goes over your own SIM and the embedded SIM is not used (at least as far as we know)

If that is the case, then one can't help thinking that those of us on early cars without the embedded SIM it should be possible (maybe???) to enable this stuff. I know ive seen a lot of emergency calls/roadside settings in the system when I've been looking around.. That and changing the overhead panel to include the extra buttons (and no doubt another wiring loom)

srbsq7
29-06-2016, 07:34 PM
I would settle for having the remote unlock working and having the auto SOS in the event of a crash even if SOS button retrofit is a step too far.

Nemo78
29-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Been thinking, I thought the remote unlock etc only works if you have the embedded SIM, however, as we know from the small print if you put your own sim in the glove box all that then goes over your own SIM and the embedded SIM is not used (at least as far as we know)

If that is the case, then one can't help thinking that those of us on early cars without the embedded SIM it should be possible (maybe???) to enable this stuff. I know ive seen a lot of emergency calls/roadside settings in the system when I've been looking around.. That and changing the overhead panel to include the extra buttons (and no doubt another wiring loom)

See I agree...second thing is how does the app know as on my app I still only see the original 3 options. Now I can't remember if when setting the app up we paired it up and it knew what menus to show.

wolek76
29-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I might be wrong but I think it's VIN dependant.
There was a stage where I had two Q7's in it and if I chose the old one I only had three screens (blue, yellow, white)
But when I went for the new one another screen appeared (red) with locking/unlocking and other car options...

andyhud007
29-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Yup, I only have Maps/Media and Settings or something like that. No red screen

I bet because its things like Lock/Unlock it needs to "call home" to Audi HQ to work.. which means us without out will hit a brick wall no matter what retrofitting/coding we try...

Just a hunch...

wolek76
29-06-2016, 08:31 PM
And on another note...
Even though I am not using esim but my own one it still works.
So I believe as long as the car has got a constant network connection it will work. Which points me to "only a software update required to get it going".
BTW this must be the latest software

ragebe
07-07-2016, 02:13 PM

It does NOT come with tech pack....

I read somehwere that ASI was fitted to cars from Week26 onwards in 2015. (It's not coming up in my car :()

Edited to add: The nice salesman at Shrewsbury Audi told me it was fitted to my car but he only knew how to make it work with Apple devices and not Android ones.

My car is about 3-months old.

andyhud007
07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Mine is after that and it definitely isn't there. I know enough to know it's not a hardware addition , it's all software... But will they retro apply it to older cars??? Will they heck....

ragebe
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Mine is after that and it definitely isn't there. I know enough to know it's not a hardware addition , it's all software... But will they retro apply it to older cars??? Will they heck....
So we'll have to await Ross-Tech updating VCDS to work with 4M before doing a retro-upgrade?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

maxw
07-07-2016, 07:59 PM
When I took my car in for what ment to off been a software update
there was a list of fixes that service guy read out

most was train times flight times most was time fixes

but one thing that was on the list of updates was remote locking using the app

but after the update no software code change fight and train times still hour out
and no remote locking

so I hope in next update it seems that should get remote locking via app (well fingers crossed hey)

and looking above we know know there is a later software version now but who knows if it's model and build specific

M

srbsq7
07-07-2016, 08:15 PM
When I took my car in for what ment to off been a software update
there was a list of fixes that service guy read out

most was train times flight times most was time fixes

but one thing that was on the list of updates was remote locking using the app

but after the update no software code change fight and train times still hour out
and no remote locking

so I hope in next update it seems that should get remote locking via app (well fingers crossed hey)

and looking above we know know there is a later software version now but who knows if it's model and build specific

M

Fingers crossed too. Would like that feature.

Hopefully Tesla's over the air upgrades will encourage the other manufacturers that they need to offer this in the future.

andyhud007
07-07-2016, 08:23 PM
So we'll have to await Ross-Tech updating VCDS to work with 4M before doing a retro-upgrade?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Ross-Tech VCDS with Hex-Net already supports 4M already. See my coding sticky at the top of the Q7 forum

However, that wont fix it. The firmware for AMI is VIN protected and so unless someone can bypass that, produce the firmware, find a way to upload it into MMI its a no-go. VCDS or no VCDS. If anything, it would be VCP that would do it, VCDS doesnt have firmware upload capabilities.

andyhud007
07-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Fingers crossed too. Would like that feature.

Hopefully Tesla's over the air upgrades will encourage the other manufacturers that they need to offer this in the future.
+1

Interesting to see if it becomes available for the my16 cars we have... Fingers crossed.