PDA

View Full Version : B8 Steering wheel compatiblity

rivest
26-06-2016, 09:17 AM
My B8 arriving soon does not come with paddle shifters. Does anyone know if the steering wheel can be switched with, say the Golf GTI Mk7 one?

gamichea
26-06-2016, 07:24 PM
GT spec. B8s with DSG get paddle shifters as standard so maybe you could swap to a B8 GT spec. steering wheel if it can be coded in and you can stomach the cost.

rivest
26-06-2016, 07:53 PM
GT spec. B8s with DSG get paddle shifters as standard so maybe you could swap to a B8 GT spec. steering wheel if it can be coded in and you can stomach the cost.

Any idea where I can get one?

As for coding-wise I believe VCDS should be able to do the job. They claim their betas support the latest MQB models.

gamichea
27-06-2016, 09:25 AM
The first thing I guess you need is a part no. A VW dealer should be able to provide that but they usually need a reg. or VIN number. I have heard of online parts catalogues but have no experience of them. Once you have a part no. an online search for it might throw up potential suppliers.

MattB247
28-06-2016, 06:37 AM
There's a few on ebay

VW Golf MK7 GTE Multi steering wheel with airbag and paddles | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111961064989)

rivest
28-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Check this out: VW R Line Steering Wheel DSG Paddles Multifunction Cruise Control Acc TDI GTI | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222159936910)

I msged the seller to confirm if it works for my car but he told me it only works with B8 Passats that has front radar and Adaptive Cruise Control.

I don't have that option installed. Could it still work?

YawnGumbo
28-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Unless you've gone for a Passat S spec, then you'll get ACC and front radar as standard.

Out of interest, are you purchasing the car brand new? If so then you should probably check you're not about to void your warranty by replacing the steering wheel. Also, do you actually need DSG paddles? Only reason I ask is that most people I've spoken to who have these have advised they use them for about the first week, then after that the novelty wears off and they just leave the car in auto-mode and never worry about the paddles again...!

gamichea
28-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Unless you've gone for a Passat S spec, then you'll get ACC and front radar as standard.

I thought the same earlier but then noticed rivest is located in Singapore so spec. levels may not parallel those in UK.

..... do you actually need DSG paddles? Only reason I ask is that most people I've spoken to who have these have advised they use them for about the first week, then after that the novelty wears off and they just leave the car in auto-mode and never worry about the paddles again...!

Had mine nearly 2 months and still use the paddles, especially when DSG's choice means the car is being trundled along below 1600rpm which happens even though I have set drive in the Mode menu to be more reactive. I prefer this to using DSG sport mode which hangs onto to gears too long for my liking and has me changing up using the paddles.

rivest
29-06-2016, 02:48 AM
Yeah, in my country, both specs Exclusive and R-Line do not come with front radar nor ACC.

Let me put it this way, if all the buttons match up, does that mean the steering wheel should be compatible with a high degree of confidence?

As for voiding the warranty, I can always switch the steering wheel back whenever I go for servicing :)

YawnGumbo
29-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Ah fair enough then. I wonder if the steering wheel will work, but you'd end up with buttons that won't have any function (such as the "mode" button, and distance changing buttons for the ACC).