PDA

View Full Version : New Q7 S Line Delivered today! A couple of questions

rob_ldn
22-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

I took delivery of my new Q7 this morning and am making a start on the user guide, but it's not the best written thing in the world... can anyone help with a couple of questions.

Apple Carplay
I cannot seem to get this to work, I have plugged in the lead into the usb slot in the armrest but the smartphone menu thing that I have seen on youtube videos does not pop up for me. What am I doing wrong?

SIM card slot
I notice a sim slot in the glove box, whats this for? Is there any reason to get a PAYG sim and shove it in there for data?

Dual screens
I have a virtual cockpit, amazing tech, but it seems that it kind of mirrors whats on the pop up display, what settings do you all prefer?

Handbrake
My old car used to have an auto handbrake, is there any need to use the manual one on the Q7? Don't quite get the point of the (A) button next to the parking brake.

iPhone MMI App
Seems a touch limited, no heating, locking etc that it seems to show on the demo - how do you get this to work?

Thanks!!

srbsq7
23-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Hi Rob,

Welcome - send some pics!

CarPlay - assuming brand new so have the smartphone interface. I might be wrong but I think it only works with one of the two USB ports so try the other one if not done so already. I think the first time the iPhone needs to be not on the lock screen then you can authorise it going forward.

SIM card - you can leverage the data plan on the phone. I prefer to use a dedicated sim for convenience and as it has a much higher limit that means other devices can use the wifi hot spot.

Dual screens - I tend to have north facing view of maps on pop up and direction of travel on virtual cockpit if using NAV. Most of the time, I tend to have media on pop up and smaller dials with car info on VC.

Handbrake - on my X5, I tended to never use handbrake as it didn't auto release when you drove off. I do with Q7 as for some reason have not quite got used to always hitting park button! I do use the auto handbrake as its good at the lights etc

MMI app - annoying that this is so poor when old car built in 2011 had this. Cars built June onwards do get this [emoji35]. Looks like this was missing due to Audi not having a deal with an operator in the uk to provide an embedded sim. I'm hoping Audi enable it for customers with older builds which have purchased a sim but I'm not holding my breath!

I've had my Q7 for a month now and loving it. No car is perfect but this is the closest I've owned yet.

Nemo78
23-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Hi Rob, welcome and congrats on the car.

Going to ask a really silly question here - on the MMI menus do you have the 'Audi Smartphone Interface' option?

I'm presuming it's a My16 car and not a My17 but never say never.

Assuming you do have that...all should work through either port of USBs

Skippy73
23-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Hi Rob,

Congrats on the new car mate you will love it.

Firstly Nemo is correct to get carplay working on the Main Menu of the MMI you can scroll around past Navigation and you should have an option for smart phone interface. If you don't then you don't have carplay. If you have a MY16 then the smart phone interface for carplay was an option that needed to be ticked on order. A lot people misinterptreted the carplay and missed the option.
If you do have a smartphone interface option on the MMI then have a look in the settings menu on your phone because there is a carplay option which can be disabled.

The sim card slot is for a data sim not a standard phone sim that will allow you to maintain constant connection for Google earth maps, online data traffic etc plus it will turn the car into its own Wi-Fi hotspot. So your phone and kids ipads etc can connect and get 4G data from the aerial on the roof. This is better then perhaps using the data on your phone through the car. Most of us on here use the sim slot some on contract some Pay as you go. There is a thread discussing best deals etc so dig about.

The VC and pop up MMI can display the same thing but it is also handy because they can display different thing. So I leave the pop up on music generally but if I'm using navigation it is on the VC. So my wife and/or passenger or me can choose music without losing sight of navigation directions etc.

Remember that if you switch the car off and get out the car will engage into P automatically. I just flick the parking brake on out of habit. The (A) button I leave on and it will remember this setting each time you use the car. It just applies a soft brake whenever stopping at lights etc so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake in traffic. When it's time to go touch the accelerator and your off.

Enjoy your new car

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nemo78
23-06-2016, 08:31 AM
The (A) button I leave on and it will remember this setting each time you use the car. It just applies a soft brake whenever stopping at lights etc so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake in traffic. When it's time to go touch the accelerator and your off.

This one intrigues me as I completely agree with everything you say Skippy (as this is how it's worked in my previous Audis) BUT..I've never used it on either Q as I've found the car holds itself it once I come off the foot brake and hence need to use accelerator to move.

I know the car can detect and hold itself on a hill but it's for me doing it on normal roads too...maybe another issue I have [emoji23]

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Firstly Nemo is correct to get carplay working on the Main Menu of the MMI you can scroll around past Navigation and you should have an option for smart phone interface. If you don't then you don't have carplay. If you have a MY16 then the smart phone interface for carplay was an option that needed to be ticked on order. A lot people misinterptreted the carplay and missed the option.
If you do have a smartphone interface option on the MMI then have a look in the settings menu on your phone because there is a carplay option which can be disabled.

Thanks for the quick reply everyone! I don't know what build my car is, but I know it was built at the beginning of May, and got into the UK at the end of May. In the menus, I don't have a option for 'smart phone interface', so I am guessing it does not pop up when you plug one in and I don't have that option?

Is there any way to get it added? Assuming just software?

Thanks for info on other questions, not sure I will bother with the sim as have tonnes of data on my phone, already got it to share its connection with the car over wifi, but google maps with sat view is not very easy to use in London.

Skippy73
23-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Yeah I never switch mine off I love it in the Q. Everytime I come to a stop on flat road or whatever the green (P) comes on in the dash and the car is held and I take my foot off the brake and relax 😉 engine also switches on from the stop start. As soon as it's time to move I touch the accelerator and I'm off works fine. You can feather the brake when stopping too so the (A) brake or stop start doesn't work you just need to feather the pedal ever so gently to stop the car and it won't work good for crawling in traffic but it takes practice to find the spot.

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Also, here is a pic of the dog, LOVING all the space he gets in the new car! He used to travel in the passenger seat, which was a little dangerous, especially as he sometimes blocked the view to the mirror, and also made the place dirty. Boot box is from BootBuddy, with carpet tiles stuck on.

Skippy73
23-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply everyone! I don't know what build my car is, but I know it was built at the beginning of May, and got into the UK at the end of May. In the menus, I don't have a option for 'smart phone interface', so I am guessing it does not pop up when you plug one in and I don't have that option?

Is there any way to get it added? Assuming just software?

Thanks for info on other questions, not sure I will bother with the sim as have tonnes of data on my phone, already got it to share its connection with the car over wifi, but google maps with sat view is not very easy to use in London.
Yeah sounds like you don't have the smartphone interface. But you should still get access to your music through the MMI the usual audi way.

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 08:50 AM
:zx11: It was supposed to be standard... is there no way to get this added? (is it even worth bothering to fight for?)

What does MY16 or MY17 mean? How do I find out what mine is?

Nemo78
23-06-2016, 08:58 AM
:zx11: It was supposed to be standard... is there no way to get this added? (is it even worth bothering to fight for?)

What does MY16 or MY17 mean? How do I find out what mine is?

So at the moment we don't actually know whether or not there will be any retrofit available for Smartphone Interface.

With your build week being early May it would have been pre Week22 and therefore a MY16 car.

Any car made from Week 22 is My17 plus carries the Smartphone Interface as standard

Is it worth fighting for...people have on this forum have and I think one was lucky enough to get a replacement car. The main thing is was it discussed with your sales person at the time of ordering - what was said at that time?

I know Andyhud007 thinks there maybe some luck in getting this via a firmware update but nothing is confirmed and Audi at times even if possible may not allow cars to be 'upgraded' to therefore have it...

Is it a show stopper for you? That'll determine whether you fight for it or not...

satyp
23-06-2016, 09:04 AM
I know it's called “smartphone” interface.. But does the device need to be a phone.. Or can it be any smart device i.e ipad mini etc (without sim) etc.. If you have smartphone option i gather s
Carplay etc will still work.. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Skippy73
23-06-2016, 09:14 AM
MY16 and MY17 is the model year so every year Audi come out with a new model year that will have slight changes and enhancements from year to year. MY17 from built week 22 now has the smartphone interface as standard along with a few other items. MY16 it was an option only. I have it and it works with andriod auto or carplay and as I have an andriod phone I use the smart phone interface for andriod auto and I love it. Spotify, tunein and my storage music all accessed easily plus what's app messages and text messages notifications and read out. OK google (Barbara I call her) is the equivalent to Siri and it's great in the car and doing loads of take while driving.

If you can get it do it.

anemeth
23-06-2016, 09:14 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/blackpost/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by rob_ldn http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/blackpost/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1018608#post1018608) :zx11: It was supposed to be standard... is there no way to get this added? (is it even worth bothering to fight for?)

What does MY16 or MY17 mean? How do I find out what mine is?http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/blackpost/misc/quote_icon.png

If the 10th character of your VIN number is H, that should be MY17.

srbsq7
23-06-2016, 09:50 AM
I know it's called “smartphone” interface.. But does the device need to be a phone.. Or can it be any smart device i.e ipad mini etc (without sim) etc.. If you have smartphone option i gather s
Carplay etc will still work.. Thanks

I pretty sure carplay is only included in iOS for iPhone. The menu under general is missing on the iPad.

satyp
23-06-2016, 10:35 AM
I pretty sure carplay is only included in iOS for iPhone. The menu under general is missing on the iPad.
Aargh doh.. Interedtibg2..

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Spoke to Audi - turns out it is a MY16 car, not 17, so this is not on it and was not selected, partly as I did not know it needed to be as I was advised it was standard! If anyone finds w ay to get this added after production, please let me know!

pitch3110
23-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Welcome and enjoy the forum. Its a haven of knowledge and I have to go a long way back to find such a good bunch on this forum as we have in the Q7 section at present

Tell me, did you spec advanced key and what is your data budget??

Ta
Pitch

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 01:56 PM
I am just going though other posts on the forum now, lots of useful info!

I did not get the advanced key, kind of regretting it, but the option was too expensive for something that was standard on my last car. When I got into the car last night I was SO impressed with the lighting, I didn't get the extra spec, just whatever came with the S-Line, but looks so cool! Is the only difference that its multi-colour with the extra lighting pack? I had this on my last car, and after playing with it a few times, never bothered changing the colour again.

Looking at 3, you can get a sim for £30 with 12gb on it that lasts 12 months. Seems good enough, as I will not be using the cars wifi, but want to get the car a data connection. However, still unsure, what does giving the car a data connection do, apart from google earth?

satyp
23-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Sepang Q7 available for immediate pickup apparently - Looks like a decent spec

Bradford Audi | Sytner Group Limited (http://www.sytner.co.uk/audi/new-offers/immediate-delivery/bradford-audi/#Q7)

Chris Jerman
23-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Getting data will allow Audi connect to work ,and the best thing is being able to send destinations from Google maps on your home computer to your car ,great when planning a trip the night before ,such a step up from old Q7 that didn't even take full postcodes ! Can also do online searches from the car . The rest of audi connect like news and weather etc is okay but maybe not warrant a data connection alone

rob_ldn
23-06-2016, 05:22 PM
It also seems that it allows it to get live traffic too, I have paired my phone with the car so the car uses the iPhone personal hotspot and the traffic icon on the pop up screen changes from 'TMC' to 'Online'.

Makes sense to get a in car sim then.