PDA

View Full Version : Xenon / LED Bulb replacements for Passat Estate GT

splashmattuk
21-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Afternoon All

I have read the previous thread in DRL replacements etc, but I am looking at replacing all to the front end white some form of 'white' light bulbs.

I understand if I install LED's these would need to error free versions (ie Canbus chipped / enabled), is there anything in relation to the Xenon's I need to be aware of?, Are these just swap outs?

And does anyone have the complete list, wattage's and fittings for this, I have looked in the manual to no avail, lots of pictures of what to remove but nothing about replacements.......

Believe the full set would be

2 x Day Time running lights (H8's?)
2 x FOG lights (H8's?)
2 x High beam headlights
2 x Dipped beam headlights
2 x Side lights

Matthew​

Garfie101
28-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Hi Matthew.

I have changed the drl and sidelight bulbs on mine to give the white look when on drl and sidelight setting. I don't have led headlights though so have to put up with the yellow look on auto or headlight setting.

The drl's are a W21W 582 wedge bulb and I went with 7440 Twenty20 Cree LED 12V 582 Canbus Wedge Bulb as these were recommended. 7440 Can-bus Super Bright 360 Degree 582 6 Cree LED wedge bulbs (http://www.hids4u.co.uk/7440-Twenty20-Cree-LED-12V-582-Canbus-Wedge-Bulb.html)

The sidelights are traditional W5W 501 wedge bulbs so I just picked up a set of canbus led bulbs from ebay. Be careful when you change these as they are in a holder deep inside the headlight which you pull out with a long plastic tab that is part of the bulb holder. You give this a sharp pull and the holder and bulb come out with the wires attached too. On one of mine this tab snapped off when I pulled it so I have carefully pull the wires now to get it out and must ideally replace the whole holder now.

Fog light bulbs are indeed H8 but I didn't change these as I thought it would look odd without changing the headlight bulbs too, plus I didn't want to lose the fade on/off of these when they come on as cornering lights which I believe you when you change to led.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Guy

Solly92
24-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Finally a post with correct info! Thank you

Crasher
25-11-2022, 12:54 PM
Remember that since this post was made seven years ago, the MOT rules have changed and fitting LED bulbs is now illegal and an MOT failure on car built after 1986

Ste81
26-11-2022, 03:43 AM
Depends where you take it. Hehe

Crasher
26-11-2022, 02:30 PM
True, but it shouldn’t and once video monitoring comes in… Also if you had an accident the cars construction certificate is invalid and you know how insurance companies like to wiggle out of claims. An interesting and rather stupid one I read in a VW notice is that using one of the many headlight cover restoration products also invalidates the headlights type approval, bit daft.