PDA

View Full Version : Is Advance Key worth it?

Jonh1969
20-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Evening!

So the car is ordered for September delivery. Black Sline 272, i normally keep my cars for 10 years so i do load them up with extras

So I'e ordered most things but haven't ordered night vision, 4 wheel steering or advance key

I'm happy not having night vision and also 4 wheel steer (but please shout if you think I've made a mistake)

My question is advance key. I haven't ordered but everyone here seems to rave about it ..... am I missing something?

Dealer says order gets fixed in stone tomorrow .... so any and all views welcome!

thanks

Jonathan

Nemo78
20-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Go for it...allows hands free boot opening as well with the kick motion under bumper...

Also gives you the electric boot cover ok not a necessity but a nice to have.

If I was specing now, then is tick the box.

The other two - don't need I don't think..

andyhud007
20-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Get it. It's worth it. I'd never have a car without it now.

srbsq7
20-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Agree, it makes sense over 3 years, over 10 it's a no brainer...

Gyro
21-06-2016, 05:58 AM
Just been through the same headache with my order - ended up adding it in on the advice of some on here and now the car's ordered I'm glad I did. Same with the matrix lights.

@Pitch - I'm surprised you've not been all over this thread mate 😆😆😆

pitch3110
21-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Cheers Gyro what are trying to say buddy, have I mentioned this in the past????? Never??????

Alright, thinking about it I, which one of you has set up this second user account just to rub more salt.......

OP, even if it means selling a kidney do it.....

i will ill say no more

ta
Pitch

Gyro
22-06-2016, 07:58 AM
:biglaugh:

MarkLambers
17-07-2016, 07:10 PM
What is it about the Advanced Key that makes it such a high priority option (apart from the cool name)? I'm having this debate now with my wife and also with the dealer. Even the staff at the dealer say the Advanced Key doesn't give you that much benefit....?

El-Cap
17-07-2016, 07:39 PM
I always think that having keyless start without keyless entry is just - strange. I mean the very idea that you need to get the key out of your pocket to open the door to only then out it back in your pocket because you don't need it to start the car
Is very peculiar! Anyway I have keyless entry on the Passat and the A7 which not only means the key stays in my pocket but also it means my personal settings are saved so if someone else drives the car everything is back where I want it. On the A7 it also comes with hands free boot opening.

maxw
17-07-2016, 09:41 PM
I always think that having keyless start without keyless entry is just - strange. I mean the very idea that you need to get the key out of your pocket to open the door to only then out it back in your pocket because you don't need it to start the car
Is very peculiar! Anyway I have keyless entry on the Passat and the A7 which not only means the key stays in my pocket but also it means my personal settings are saved so if someone else drives the car everything is back where I want it. On the A7 it also comes with hands free boot opening.

I had keyless entry on my last car and now on me Q7 and would never be with out it
like above stores your settings but you come out of a shop or out your house with ya hands full or forget to get ya keys out your pocket when it's throwing it down with rain
and for me I have a even bigger reason you try and get your keys out your pocket when your sat in a wheel chair spec wearing jeans

what a life saver keyless is for me
not only that wave ya foot under the bumper and boot either opens or shuts again use full if you just unloaded your boot with ya hands full

just my thought but every one is different

M

andyhud007
17-07-2016, 10:19 PM
+1 what max said.

I've had it on last 3 cars now. Never even considered an option I wouldn't have now.

Bathurst
19-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Hi All, I know this is a bit of an old thread but I am trading in my current 4M Q7 for a 2019 model due in a few weeks which has the C+S pack on it that contains the Advanced Key. This will be my first car with keyless entry and I am a bit concerned about the security aspects of this given the number of car thefts on the rise related to keyless entry/start. Do you have any tips (do I need a signal blocker pouch), are Audi's affected by this tech or is ii mainly BMW/Mercedes?

andyhud007
21-02-2019, 12:10 AM
Hi All, I know this is a bit of an old thread but I am trading in my current 4M Q7 for a 2019 model due in a few weeks which has the C+S pack on it that contains the Advanced Key. This will be my first car with keyless entry and I am a bit concerned about the security aspects of this given the number of car thefts on the rise related to keyless entry/start. Do you have any tips (do I need a signal blocker pouch), are Audi's affected by this tech or is ii mainly BMW/Mercedes?

I dont have anything to say Audi's arent affected (new ones at that), but I dont have anything to say they are affected either.

Keep the key in an RFID protection pouch when at home... other than that, not much else you can do. I've only heard about it in the news around Mercs and BMWs...

Retom
21-02-2019, 01:46 AM
I dont have anything to say Audi's arent affected (new ones at that), but I dont have anything to say they are affected either.

Keep the key in an RFID protection pouch when at home... other than that, not much else you can do. I've only heard about it in the news around Mercs and BMWs...

See this: keyless.com.pl
It is in Polish but Google translator will do the job. Also videos are self explanatory.

potz1024
21-02-2019, 10:08 AM

From what I've read elsewhere, pretty much all cars with keyless entry are effected. There was a test done by Which i think, the cars which took the most time to clone/amplify the signal for were Jaguar Land Rover. There is a large discussion over on the Volvo XC90 forum, one owner had it XC60 driven off the driveway recently by thieves amplifying the key signal from within the house.

Best suggestion I've seen to date is for manufacturers to start putting motion detectors into keys. If they key hasn't moved for say 30s, shut it down. Your key will always be able to detect motion before it is required to unlock the car (i.e. you are moving as you approach the car). Once in the car, the key could be programmed not to 'go to sleep', to allow it more time to be stationary in a bag lets say before the engine is started.

:wq

Scott K
21-02-2019, 10:46 AM
I know of a few guys on different forums who have had the ghost immobiliser fitted. Would be worth looking into if you had serious concerns.

Bathurst
22-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses, I will certainly take a look at keyless.com.pl and invest in a couple of signal blocker pouches. We live in relatively low crime area however there have been instances of break-in's over the last 15 years but not keyless thefts. It is a bit frustrating the car manufacturers don't do more to secure the technology.

Do you get the ability to wave your foot under the boot to open hands free as part of the advanced key in the UK?

Nemo78
22-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Do you get the ability to wave your foot under the boot to open hands free as part of the advanced key in the UK?[/COLOR]

You do indeedy

Bathurst
22-02-2019, 06:39 PM
You do indeedy

Great, thanks!

srbsq7
22-02-2019, 07:21 PM
If you try it, it’s more of an in / out kick under the centre of the bumper and then wait. You see a lot of reviews where they complain it’s unreliable but they’re either wagging their foot side to side or being impatient and repeating the kicking motion. They didn’t RTFM [emoji3]

Works every time if you do it properly!

Nemo78
22-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Works every time if you do it properly!

[emoji23]

Retom
22-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses, I will certainly take a look at keyless.com.pl and invest in a couple of signal blocker pouches. We live in relatively low crime area however there have been instances of break-in's over the last 15 years but not keyless thefts. It is a bit frustrating the car manufacturers don't do more to secure the technology.

Do you get the ability to wave your foot under the boot to open hands free as part of the advanced key in the UK?

Keyless protector is a kind of battery cover which is switching off the power when the key is not in use (see below). To open the car and start the engine you have just to tap twice your pocket with the key. It activates the key for 3 minutes. When you leave the car you have to do nothing. The keyless protector will switch off the battery supply automatically 15-20 meters from your car. It is really very smart, patented solution. No need of any RFID protection since the key at home is simply not active.
You can see how it works on the video on their web page.

srbsq7
22-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Interesting. Seems legit and a couple of positive reviews on Amazon. £144 seems a fair bit for what it is.

I like Potz1024’s idea that the key shuts down when outside the car and not moving. You’d think this wouldn’t be that hard to do? Would work better for me as I don’t always have my key in my pocket.

Still in two minds about this. As much as I don’t want the car to disappear off the drive, I’d prefer that to someone taking the keys by force.

I suspect the answer is more likely that all cars in the future will be online and traceable, so no one would ever steal it.