PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Pro SD indexing issue

MattB247
20-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Hi, having a problem with mp3's on my new Passat. I bought a 256gb SDXC card and blanket copied about 37000 tracks to it in about 1800 folders but when I inserted it in the car it came up with an error saying indexing maximum reached.
Reading through the manual it seems to imply that you can't have more than 1000 elements in a given path, with a maximum of 30,000 audio tracks, so I stripped out a load of stuff I didn't want and broke it down into folders under root, meaning I had around 27000 files in multiple directories, none of which had more than 1000 elements (MP3 files, folders, playlists) in them. Put it into the car and I still get the same error after leaving it for 10 minutes to index.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

scottjc
06-07-2016, 09:23 PM
You can't have more than 999 folders in each section on the sd card.

I have a 512gb card and set it up in categories with folders and subfolders to make it easier to access. Number of folders in each level is limited to 999.

MattB247
06-07-2016, 09:43 PM
I've set it up with 25 folders at top level with no more than 950 tracks in the biggest folder, if I go over about 10750 tracks I get the indexing error whereby the folders show but there aren't any tracks shown in them. A few people in Golf forums are having the same sort of problem with the same Nav Pro unit, I've raised it with VW technical but I don't expect a quick answer.

MattB247
25-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Scott - how many files in total do you have on your card, and do they all display correctly? I can't get more than 10 folders with 999 tracks on my 256gb card - as soon as I add more it comes up with the indexing limit reached error. I've had a meeting with VW technical and they have no idea why it doesn't work.

scottjc
26-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Scott - how many files in total do you have on your card, and do they all display correctly? I can't get more than 10 folders with 999 tracks on my 256gb card - as soon as I add more it comes up with the indexing limit reached error. I've had a meeting with VW technical and they have no idea why it doesn't work.

I have a 512gb sdxc card and have pretty much filled it. The largest folder has about 1300 files in it. My understanding is that it's only the number of folders that is restricted to 999, not the number of files. They may be limited to a larger number but I haven't found it.
The other thing I have learned over time is that I will only use Sandisk cards. I have had problems with smaller unbranded cards, such as Tesco et al.

MattB247
26-07-2016, 09:23 PM
I've had issues with cheap cards in the past so I avoid those too, I'm using a Transcend SDXC Class 3 which is a decent enough brand for UHS camera work at 30mb/sec so it should be absolutely fine for a slow device that doesn't write to it at all. It works fine in every PC I've tried it in, can't see a reason why it wouldn't work as a dumb storage device. May see if I can pick up a cheap Sandisk and try that.

scottjc
26-07-2016, 09:27 PM
I've had issues with cheap cards in the past so I avoid those too, I'm using a Transcend SDXC Class 3 which is a decent enough brand for UHS camera work at 30mb/sec so it should be absolutely fine for a slow device that doesn't write to it at all. It works fine in every PC I've tried it in, can't see a reason why it wouldn't work as a dumb storage device. May see if I can pick up a cheap Sandisk and try that.

Good luck...