PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate confusion

alanwmcc
16-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Hi I currently have a CC which has mechanical boot opening via spring mechanism using drivers door release or keyfob. My wife's GT Golf has to have boot manually opened.
I need to get into boot many times during average day so I'm keen to get my choice on new car correct.
1 On standard GT estate how is the tailgate opened?
2 What function does keyless entry with hands free tailgate opening and electric tailgate cover add for £600
3 Finally how does electric tailgate fit into all this for £370
The configurator allows 2 + 3 to be added ???
Would hugely appreciate anyone with an estate and either of these options to enlighten me.

MattB247
17-06-2016, 06:12 AM
The £600 option means if you have your keys in your pocket and wiggle your foot under the rear bumper (where there's a sensor) it'll open the boot - useful if you have your hands full. The standard electric tailgate means you need to push a button on the fob to open it. Not sure if it closes it electronically too as both options say "electronic opening" not "electronic operation".

If you have neither I think the opening button on the fob / the internal button just releases the catch and have to lift it manually open, although on the saloon it opens with the assistance of springs. Best visit a showroom and have a play with an estate to check that.

alanwmcc
17-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Hi Matt thanks for reply. When you say the tailgate opens with the £600 pound option,do you mean it springs fully open or just it just pop as on standard fit? No local dealers have cars with either extra option fitted unfortunately.

MattB247
17-06-2016, 08:11 AM
I believe it's electrical on the £600 option: look on YouTube, these may help -

Volkswagen Passat Estate - electric tailgate - YouTube (https://youtu.be/hIL6WvPBnSs)

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Carbuyer - YouTube (https://youtu.be/lnPdU2QsKRo)

YawnGumbo
20-06-2016, 01:05 PM
When I was looking at this I was advised the more expensive option was electric opening & closing (with foot wiggle-ability); the cheaper option removed the ability to use your foot, but was still an electric opening and closing, just on the boot release button (in the car) or on the key fob. But yes, neither option means you have to use the VW badge to open the boot, as the button in the car and on the key fob just releases the catch on the boot.