PDA

View Full Version : Matrix lights...

Gyro
15-06-2016, 06:54 AM
After feeling pretty settled on my spec.......a colleague has said that I "must" add matrix lights.

I've seen the videos and they do look really cool and all that, but seriously are they worth it, do they make a huge difference? I'll have high beam assist.

Having never had them I won't miss them if I don't have them and we don't do much night time driving at all. Just don't want to be a couple of months into ownership and be kicking myself that I didn't order them.

It might come down to either having advanced key or matrix lights....:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::a argh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aar gh4::aargh4:

satyp
15-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Matrix Lights = External Pleasure
(i.e visible to others)
Adv Key = Internal Pleasure
(Nor visible to others)

Hmmmm tough deliberation [emoji50]

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Gyro
15-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Matrix Lights = External Pleasure
(i.e visible to others)
Adv Key = Internal Pleasure
(Nor visible to others)

Hmmmm tough deliberation [emoji50]

Internal pleasure v. external pleasure!

My main issue is the wife. I've already agreed that I won't get the advanced key...but I ordered it anyway and will deal with it later! However I could just order the matrix lights and tell her they are standard!

Why don't women understand how essential it is to have all these extravagant bells and whistles on a car?

srbsq7
15-06-2016, 07:33 AM
I have both but would pick advanced key if I had to lose one.

satyp
15-06-2016, 08:13 AM

My main issue is the wife. I've already agreed that I won't get the advanced key...but I ordered it anyway and will deal with it later! However I could just order the matrix lights and tell her they are standard!

Why don't women understand how essential it is to have all these extravagant bells and whistles on a car?
Had the same issues as you.. Only difference was I wasn't on this forum and kind a blind to what the capabilties of adv key + wasn't too keen with Audi `s pricing of it ... So didn't pick it in the end.. That and trailer assist were my main beef/gripes..

I just saw price of retro fitting the trailer and tow feature in the Audi brochure I think ot was closer 1800 inc vat as opposed to factory order of 1300 inc vat.. I could be wrong..

Bur it's a thought..should you want matrix lights a year down.. Not sure if they would be more..

I see how much at spend on Amazon sometimes over the year and it just paled in comparison to dropping one or two features.. My thinking at the time was one or two holidays less would negate any upfront cost , Also went as far as checking what options add resale value at one point.. Mind you it didn't help much [emoji3] ..

In any case hope this helps and good luck with wives tales [emoji6]

Nemo78
15-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Matrix LEDs are pretty cool. I hadn't spec'd them originally but wife saw the video and said add them....to be fair it'll be ticked if not standard on any future cars [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

srbsq7
15-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Matrix LEDs are pretty cool. I hadn't spec'd them originally but wife saw the video and said add them....to be fair it'll be ticked if not standard on any future cars [emoji1303]

I think you're right. When I saw the video, I also thought it was really cool and added them to the spec. In reality, given the time of year I've only seen them on once and that was a specific drive I did at 11pm just to test they worked!! I didn't have main beam assist on my X5 so pretty much drove with dipped lights all the time, so in winter they should be a good safety addition. Having full beam down the sides of the roads at all times does give much better visibility.

Nemo78
15-06-2016, 09:56 AM
I think you're right. When I saw the video, I also thought it was really cool and added them to the spec. In reality, given the time of year I've only seen them on once and that was a specific drive I did at 11pm just to test they worked!! I didn't have main beam assist on my X5 so pretty much drove with dipped lights all the time, so in winter they should be a good safety addition. Having full beam down the sides of the roads at all times does give much better visibility.

Yeah been lucky as had the original car in October and the real wow moment was as we came off some main A road on to a twisty unlit country B road...literally as we turned the corner the car Matrix LEDs lit up the road amazingly....and then watching as oncoming cars approach the lights go off/on is amazing.

Has anyone noticed the start up procedure of the LEDs? I only noticed it about a month ago parked outside a sainsburys and could see the reflection of each LED come on and go off...sad but I turned the car off and started it again as it was cool [emoji5]

srbsq7
15-06-2016, 10:04 AM
I hadn't but will have to find somewhere to check it out!

satyp
15-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Next Up Audi Matrix “Laser” Lights

Boy will Audi milk these and the tech

Animation
Audi Matrix Laser Lights Animation - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wL3LSV3T4f4)

satyp
15-06-2016, 11:19 AM
LED vs Laser : I swear 👀 the laser will also use some form of LED confusion.com

andyhud007
15-06-2016, 04:36 PM
I think Matrix lights are v.cool, I'm really happy with them. full beam on all the time and it drops the light area of the on-coming car or car in front very well so everything else is lit.... plus they bend the light round the corners well IMO..

Oh, and Adv Key is great too.. if not pricey.

maxw
15-06-2016, 04:40 PM
The laser lights look well cool and adding road markings too

i have the matrix lights and the best thing I added very cool and so good for the country roads aswell
i was worried oncoming traffic would keep flashing me but they dont
All my past cars I've always thought the lights are never high enough on normal beam and when you come up to a bend quick your on top of it before you really see it with matrix lights you can clearly see far and wide due to the beam patten

one thing though I do get flashed on duel cartrage ways from on coming traffic
its not due to the dazzle it's more to do with they see the bright light and think or assume your still on main beam as such where normal you see the oncoming head lights on full then you see the on coming beam dip and as they don't see this happen they think your still on main beam so flash you
only time it seem to happen mind is late at night when no traffic about on a duel cartrage way then a Lorry comes the other way
not sure if this happen to other ppl with matrix lights??

the coolest thing is if it's slight mist out at night you can see the beam patten and when you come up behind another car your beam splits into a V type patten around the car in front in fact you even light up the banks and road ahead for the car in front well cool

M

pitch3110
15-06-2016, 04:57 PM
If people are not banging on about using data its piggin adv key......arrrrhhhhh.

Adv Key is the BIGGEST miss I have on my Q7 Scotty so what ever you do don't cross it off

Lights - the LED's on the Q7 are a country mile ahead of the LED's I had on my A6, they are amazing so the standards will not disappoint.

Having said this you are only here once and you cannot take it with you so just dive in mate and have them both, you know it makes sence.

Pitch

Q7newbie
15-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Exactly! Just get both! The one night you have to drive down an A-road or in the heaving rain, those matrix lights will change your life!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Q7newbie
15-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Yeah been lucky as had the original car in October and the real wow moment was as we came off some main A road on to a twisty unlit country B road...literally as we turned the corner the car Matrix LEDs lit up the road amazingly....and then watching as oncoming cars approach the lights go off/on is amazing.

Has anyone noticed the start up procedure of the LEDs? I only noticed it about a month ago parked outside a sainsburys and could see the reflection of each LED come on and go off...sad but I turned the car off and started it again as it was cool [emoji5]

Mate, I noticed it on the very 1st day I got the car (picked it up at night), I was like a kid with a new toy!

Q7newbie
15-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Next Up Audi Matrix “Laser” Lights

Boy will Audi milk these and the tech

Animation
Audi Matrix Laser Lights Animation - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wL3LSV3T4f4)

Laser lights 😍 😍 😍 😍
I had the new R8 for a weekend and it had them fitted. OMG. It pains me to say it, but the difference between laser and LED is bigger than LED and Xenon. The laser lights literally turn night into day. *sigh*

Q7newbie
15-06-2016, 06:14 PM
If people are not banging on about using data its piggin adv key......arrrrhhhhh.

Adv Key is the BIGGEST miss I have on my Q7 Scotty so what ever you do don't cross it off

Lights - the LED's on the Q7 are a country mile ahead of the LED's I had on my A6, they are amazing so the standards will not disappoint.

Having said this you are only here once and you cannot take it with you so just dive in mate and have them both, you know it makes sence.

Pitch
Here, here! Just get them both! Neither will disappoint. And you'll always be better off having them and using them sparingly, rather than not having them and wishing you did.

srbsq7
15-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Maybe Audi need to separate these from the 'options' list and have them under 'family safety' to make it an easier sell to the wife's? They need to sound more mandatory [emoji12]

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Matrix lights added but I feel it's going to cost me twice as much as it may take a Miu Miu handbag or some Jimmy Choos to sweeten the deal...

srbsq7
16-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Matrix lights added but I feel it's going to cost me twice as much as it may take a Miu Miu handbag or some Jimmy Choos to sweeten the deal...

Good move! I just looked back at your spec and I think you've got it all covered! No chance of any regrets or Q7 envy at the lights :D That is going to be an amazing car and can't wait to see the pics.

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Cheers mate. Can't wait to get behind the wheel and give it a thrash. September seems such a long way off just now though...:biglaugh:

satyp
16-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Lol..Jimmy choos it is then.. [emoji3]

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:53 AM
You can get some pretty good fakes these days :beerchug:

andyhud007
16-06-2016, 10:36 AM
you made the right choice to Add Matrix... !!!

srbsq7
16-06-2016, 11:48 AM
It was a tough decision process. Go with the fully loaded Q7 or compromise for a lower spec SQ7. Ask questions of the forum, before making the correct decision of a fully loaded SQ7! :beerchug:

andyhud007
16-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Agreed, thats my plan now for next 2/2.5 years. Put a stash of cash away (As best I can) and then at that time, hand mine back I have now and order my ultimate SQ7/Whatever the current flavour is at that time with every bell and whistle I want and have it as my 5 year car for me and the growing family...

Not cheap, not probably most cost effective, but hey, thats my choice...

Gyro
16-06-2016, 12:06 PM
LOL yeah I never thought about it like that! Thanks forum for making me see sense...

Gyro
16-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Good plan Andy, and just think, there might be an RSQ7 out when you come to change!!! :biglaugh: Or an SQ8 even...?

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Or something from Agènt Provocatêur...
That way your "apology gift" benefits you too! 😉

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 12:54 PM
SQ8, very likely in the next 3-4 yrs. After all the Q8 is but a certified eventuality. Unless they decide to scrap it. Although I fail to fathom any reason why they'd scrap it considering how well SUV's and pseudo-SUV's are selling.

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 12:55 PM
I heard the Q8 won't be a 7 seater though? More a Uber luxury SUV akin to Bentayga.

Gyro
16-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Isn't it just going to be Audi's equivalent to the BMW X6 / Mercedes GLE Coupe?

t1sh
16-06-2016, 01:02 PM
I love the Matrix lights. Pretty impressive especially when you slow down abs additional lights are turned on. :)

srbsq7
16-06-2016, 01:32 PM

The artist impressions I'd seen on autocar (I think) seemed to suggest it was this.

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 01:40 PM
I don't think so. I think that will be the Q6.

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 01:42 PM
I think the target segment for the Q8 will be North of 100k. Bentayga and Range Rover Autobiography LWB competitor.

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:02 PM
So I casually dropped into conversation with the missus earlier "Audi do these really good matrix lights...blah blah safety at night...watch the video blah blah". She watched the video and said "We have GOT to get these". WIN.

She then casually said to me "I suppose you've just gone ahead and ordered that fancy key anyway? I thought you would do, and not tell me until the car arrived. It's fine though". WIN.

I was dumfoonert. I'll never figure woman out.

t1sh
16-06-2016, 08:06 PM
So I casually dropped into conversation with the missus earlier "Audi do these really good matrix lights...blah blah safety at night...watch the video blah blah". She watched the video and said "We have GOT to get these". WIN.

She then casually said to me "I suppose you've just gone ahead and ordered that fancy key anyway? I thought you would do, and not tell me until the car arrived. It's fine though". WIN.

This is why we love them! :)

I have a saying: if wife is happy then we, men, live longer and happier life! [emoji41]

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:09 PM
This is why we love them! :)

I have a saying: if wife is happy then we, men, live longer and happier life! [emoji41]

Couldn't agree more!!!

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Epic! So does that mean you'll forgo the Agènt Provocatêur and Jimmy Choo's now? Hahaha!

pitch3110
16-06-2016, 08:19 PM

From an oldie, trust me it's not what you say it's how you say it. I am after another high end wrist piece and to prime Mrs P I told her her should wear another one of my my Rolex's which she loves. Bingo, two weeks on I have the green light and she things thinks she has won due to the Chavo brands marketing of wear one of these and you have made it.

You are learning mate or you hung like one.

Ta
Pitch

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Epic! So does that mean you'll forgo the Agènt Provocatêur and Jimmy Choo's now? Hahaha!

No chance, not now! I fancy a new Stratocaster 😂

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 08:30 PM
No chance, not now! I fancy a new Stratocaster 😂
Ooooh, you crafty old thing! Don't you want our wizened input on that too? Some pix of proposed instrument shortlist are needed!

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:30 PM
From an oldie, trust me it's not what you say it's how you say it. I am after another high end wrist piece and to prime Mrs P I told her her should wear another one of my my Rolex's which she loves. Bingo, two weeks on I have the green light and she things thinks she has won due to the Chavo brands marketing of wear one of these and you have made it.

Ta
Pitch

Quality bit of manipulation there Pitch, great stuff!

Got an Omega PO at the moment but I really fancy a Sea Dweller Deepsea, but that got torpedoed a few months back although I can have one for my 40th apparently. There's a three year waiting list apparently (the James Cameron one) so it'll tie in quite nicely for when I hit the big 4-0. Really fancy a Panerai too.......wives must really hate these forums!!!!

Gyro
16-06-2016, 08:53 PM

Ta
Pitch

Ooooh, you crafty old thing! Don't you want our wizened input on that too? Some pix of proposed instrument shortlist are needed!

Would love one of these bad boys:

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/15020411320687

Got a standard American Strat from 90s but I fancy a newer model. I would love a Les Paul custom but there's no way I can justify it for mostly home use.

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Would love one of these bad boys:

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/15020411320687

Got a standard American Strat from 90s but I fancy a newer model. I would love a Les Paul custom but there's no way I can justify it for mostly home use.
Oh my. Even with my limited knowledge of Instrum, the reputation and almost cult love and respect for the Strat is major.

Besides cars, my other love and indulgences are Timepieces, Motorbikes and shoes! *hangs head in shame about the shoes*.

pitch3110
16-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Great stuff Gyro, watches, pens, jackets, jeans and shoes, don't get me started, I am a right tart.

JC's are lovely and you will drop one easy enough trust me. Every collection should have a number of SS Rolex's, a Panerai, a Jaeger LeCoultre and of course a Patek so get collecting its lovely. Keep the PO, I had one, sold it, regretted it and am about to add another, like I really need another timepiece.

Anyway bit bonus of the option list and i am pleased the adv key is staying pal, good move, it is a must, as i keep going on and on and on and on about on several threads.........

Looking forward to a ride in the SQ when we pop up to see family the other side of the border and I start stalking you......be afraid .....

Ta
Pitch

Nemo78
16-06-2016, 10:27 PM

Totally unpredictable aren't they these ladies [emoji5]

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Quality bit of manipulation there Pitch, great stuff!

Got an Omega PO at the moment but I really fancy a Sea Dweller Deepsea, but that got torpedoed a few months back although I can have one for my 40th apparently. There's a three year waiting list apparently (the James Cameron one) so it'll tie in quite nicely for when I hit the big 4-0. Really fancy a Panerai too.......wives must really hate these forums!!!!
They do! It's like Facebook for geeks!
An Omega buddy. I've got Seamaster Coaxial chronograph 44mm.
Also have a few Timex and Suunto's that are more befitting of my day to day work and activity life.
My pride and joy though is an AP Royal Oak! Got my eye on an R. Mille one day though!!!

Q7newbie
16-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Two popular watch brands I'm incapable of liking are Tag Heuer and Rolex (don't shoot me and don't judge me!). I know Rolex are an amazing brand. But it's like how I can't find a way to like BMW. even though I know they make some of the world's greatest driving machines!

Am I broken?

pitch3110
16-06-2016, 11:44 PM
Two popular watch brands I'm incapable of liking are Tag Heuer and Rolex (don't shoot me and don't judge me!). I know Rolex are an amazing brand. But it's like how I can't find a way to like BMW. even though I know they make some of the world's greatest driving machines!

Am I broken?

im with you all the way on Rolex. I absolutely detest the brand, how it is received, and the brashness but I do have a few because I appreciate the time pieces although I hardly ever wear them.

Pitch

Q7newbie
17-06-2016, 12:08 PM
im with you all the way on Rolex. I absolutely detest the brand, how it is received, and the brashness but I do have a few because I appreciate the time pieces although I hardly ever wear them.

Pitch
Yeah, I think it's the marketing and perception around them that has driven to dislike them.

Gyro
17-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Great stuff Gyro, watches, pens, jackets, jeans and shoes, don't get me started, I am a right tart.

JC's are lovely and you will drop one easy enough trust me. Every collection should have a number of SS Rolex's, a Panerai, a Jaeger LeCoultre and of course a Patek so get collecting its lovely. Keep the PO, I had one, sold it, regretted it and am about to add another, like I really need another timepiece.

Anyway bit bonus of the option list and i am pleased the adv key is staying pal, good move, it is a must, as i keep going on and on and on and on about on several threads.........

Looking forward to a ride in the SQ when we pop up to see family the other side of the border and I start stalking you......be afraid .....

Ta
Pitch

You sound like a tart right enough mate LOL, fair play. I don't worry to much about my clothes to be honest - at 6'8" it's quite difficult to get trendy stuff to fit me. I did manage to find Levi's in the States a few months ago plus the RL big and tall outlet was amazing. £130 here for a zip up hoodie...$29 each over there! Pens...I have a Cross pen that I stole off someone from Schlumberger when I worked in Ghana :D.

You're welcome to a hurl in the SQ7...we could then go and get smashed in the village pub :beerchug:

I'd no idea about the disdain for Rolexes! Maybe a £9.99 Casio will suffice and I'll splash the cash on a monster ABT upgrade instead!!!

srbsq7
17-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I think it's the marketing and perception around them that has driven to dislike them.

My Rolex is gathering dust. I bought it about 13 years ago as I liked the look of it. However, for telling the time it was rubbish. I reckon it gained a couple of minutes per week. Rolex looked at it but didn't really improve it. Then stopped working and cost me £400 to get it fixed!

For the last year, I've gone with the Apple Watch. I think I'd find it difficult to move away from a smart watch now. Apart from the other benefits, it tells the time!!

Q7newbie
17-06-2016, 07:37 PM
My Rolex is gathering dust. I bought it about 13 years ago as I liked the look of it. However, for telling the time it was rubbish. I reckon it gained a couple of minutes per week. Rolex looked at it but didn't really improve it. Then stopped working and cost me £400 to get it fixed!

For the last year, I've gone with the Apple Watch. I think I'd find it difficult to move away from a smart watch now. Apart from the other benefits, it tells the time!!
Well, I'm I separable from my Suunto's, Casio Pro Treks and Timex's too. Their just the perfect blend of functional, reliable, with a touch of class. I like Suunto especially because it's one of those watch brands that kinda catches the eye of others that know what they're all about.

Hence my support for folks into Panerai, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet etc. They are like RS6'S AND Sq7's! Beasts that fly Below the radar.

pitch3110
18-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Hence my support for folks into Panerai, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet etc. They are like RS6'S AND Sq7's! Beasts that fly Below the radar.

This!!!! Agree totally.

I work in a sector where folk would recognise and frown at Rolex. I like the fact where I can wear something twice the value and generally the majority of the public would not have a clue of the quality I am wearing, the timepieces do not shout one bit.

Your fitst mentioned above is on the wrist this morning. Lov it

Scotty - I thought the ABT was a gimmy and the rest of ya can we talk about Q7's again you tarts.

pitch

Q7newbie
18-06-2016, 04:35 PM
We can get back to Q7s if you upload your Paner'!

srbsq7
18-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Very nice watches. Not heard of them before but probably because they way above my price bracket - unless I trade the car in for it.

Q7newbie
18-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Not all them! You'd be pleasantly surprised to find out that there are alot great, boutique size watches out there that are on par and even better than Rolex et al in terms of build, beauty, movement intricacy and accuracy.
A good few notable homegrown (British brands too).

Papereyes
18-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Bit of an iwc fan myself but agree it's nice to have a nice watch with a nice q7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pitch3110
19-06-2016, 12:52 PM
We can get back to Q7s if you upload your Paner'!

Been glamping this weekend and PB would not load but home now and here goes.

PAM312, 1950's case, in house movement and all important sandwich dial.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/pitch3110/Watches/FEBDCBDE-EA55-4A67-A136-225E74712C65.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/user/pitch3110/media/Watches/FEBDCBDE-EA55-4A67-A136-225E74712C65.jpg.html)

pitch3110
19-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Bit of an iwc fan myself but agree it's nice to have a nice watch with a nice q7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here goes squire. Nice 3741 Pilot Chrono. A real real oddball with Jaeger LeCoultre Quartz yes Quartz movement. A rarity.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/pitch3110/Watches/102C0569-A071-4501-B98C-199435F0B084.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/user/pitch3110/media/Watches/102C0569-A071-4501-B98C-199435F0B084.jpg.html)

El-Cap
19-06-2016, 07:05 PM
We should start a watch thread - used to have one on the Jaguar forum I was a member of and it was very informative! ( not that I have such wonderful watches but one can be aspirational!)

srbsq7
06-07-2016, 06:34 PM
I love the Matrix lights. Pretty impressive especially when you slow down abs additional lights are turned on. :)

Last night was the first time I've driven at night for real (not test).

Noticed this as I was approaching a junction - very cool - as was the start up procedure which I saw in the reflection of a shop window !

Nemo78
06-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Great video posted in A6 forum earlier

I just found this video which explains how they work quite well. It's a Hella video for Audi lights, so I'm guessing that Hella make them for Wipac.

https://youtu.be/xYSix5r38qY