PDA

View Full Version : MMI - Media Streaming

jamief
13-06-2016, 09:41 AM
If I plug a USB stick into the Q7 with some movies on it, can I stream this over the inbuilt Wifi to an iPad? I don't think this is possible, but wanted to check.

andyhud007
13-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Doubt it, best to get a wifi enabled Hard drive and stick them on that and stream off that instead.

Skippy73
13-06-2016, 10:01 AM
What you can do however, is get the wifi portable hard drive. As mentioned I use Seagate. You can link that into the cars wifi essentially using the cars as the home hub. Then when am Ipad is in the car it will automatically connect to the cars wifi allowing access the see the seagate portable drive but also access to Internet and Netflix etc. If you connect the seagate directly to the ipad via wifi if the kids want Internet they will have to disconnect from the seagate wifi network and then connect to the cars wifi and visa versa so it's a hassle in through the ipad setting all the time. Better to use the car as the hub just like your home broadband and allow the ipad to see the seagate and Internet from a single connection point.

Hope that is not to confusing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jamief
13-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks, thought as much. I'll just get one of these - HooToo Wireless Hard Drive Companion, Wireless Router, 10400mAh External Battery Pack Travel Charger, Access Point - TripMate Titan: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Wireless-Companion-10400mAh-External/dp/B00VBAE5Y0/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=TXGBPHYBMY25GDKKGRRT)

Nemo78
13-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Skippy what's the data usage on that like?

Skippy73
13-06-2016, 11:44 AM
So only if using Internet for browsing or Netflix etc should data be used. If accessing the wireless hard drive through the cars wifi should use no data at all.

Now I have not set this up yet myself but the theory has to be the same as if you have a wireless hard drive (or time capsule for example) that connects to your home network wifi you can see it from other devices shared on the same network. So the car is the same you are using a network to see the wireless hard drive shared with other devices on the same network.

So no data usage as you are only access content on the wireless hard drive through the cars network.

However you need to control the Ipad settings to avoid unnesscessary data usage like for example apps on the ipad auto updating when connected to a wifi network and other apps that might operate in the background like Facebook etc. Although Facebook would use small amounts of data there are setting like auto playing videos on Facebook or download photos and images automatically. This can be changed to wifi only but that means downloads occur as soon as it's connected to the car. So manual only needs to be selected.

The seagate hard drive in particular gives you good setup info on how to configure the wifi connect directly or via a home network.

I will try this when I get home and confirm it all works.

Q7newbie
13-06-2016, 01:45 PM
So only if using Internet for browsing or Netflix etc should data be used. If accessing the wireless hard drive through the cars wifi should use no data at all.

Now I have not set this up yet myself but the theory has to be the same as if you have a wireless hard drive (or time capsule for example) that connects to your home network wifi you can see it from other devices shared on the same network. So the car is the same you are using a network to see the wireless hard drive shared with other devices on the same network.

So no data usage as you are only access content on the wireless hard drive through the cars network.

However you need to control the Ipad settings to avoid unnesscessary data usage like for example apps on the ipad auto updating when connected to a wifi network and other apps that might operate in the background like Facebook etc. Although Facebook would use small amounts of data there are setting like auto playing videos on Facebook or download photos and images automatically. This can be changed to wifi only but that means downloads occur as soon as it's connected to the car. So manual only needs to be selected.

The seagate hard drive in particular gives you good setup info on how to configure the wifi connect directly or via a home network.

I will try this when I get home and confirm it all works.

Sounds like it should. You're right in saying the Q7 should act like a wireless hub, as thus, any devices on that common network should be able to share files without using any Internet data.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Skippy73
14-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Ok so I have had a good play with my wireless hard drive settings and one of the kids IPads in the car as a test. I drove 1 mile down the road to get away from the house network.

So firstly I was wrong and in fact it is not the car that becomes the hub network but the Seagate wireless hard drive itself. So basically placed the Seagate in the car connected to permanent 12v power and then switched it on. The IPad connects to the Seagate if that is the only network available and launching the app shows the movie content.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160614/a121451adf875d553a6e4436f2be8357.jpg

So now you have an option within the Seagate app to connect to a 2nd network allowing internet on the IPad through the Seagate HDD. After setting this up it works fine and the kids could use Netflix, you tube, now Tv and still have the Seagate app and movies available. So loads of choice.

BUT I wanted to know what sort of real world 4G internet speeds was I getting on my devices and will connecting through the Seagate HDD effect those figures.

I am still currently on a PAYG EE 4G data sim so I only get standard 4G speeds at the moment. I am switching to a 16Gb 30day contract shortly that also provides double 4G speeds in some areas.
So I connected my IPad directly to the cars hotspot first and ran a speed test.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160614/2629c9f5b6a65988c5939f7ea3e6cbad.jpg
So 16mbps is not to bad.

But if I connect the iPad to the Seagate and use internet through it and then do a speed test, I found it does effect the results.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160614/8e74330b1f967bdb3b7cb813729f32df.jpg

I have also taken the time to change the settings within the Netflix app so that 1 there is parental controls on what shows our 5 year old daughter can choose. And 2 I also changed the resolution/data settings so any show watched is in lower res and therefore consumes less. You Tube is not as easy to change and once watching a you tube video you can lower the res ,down to even 140p the app can't be set permanently.

So I watched a you tube video for a while and watched the data usage on the MMI connection manager and you tube was using about 8mb per minute at 480p. So that is 2 hours per Gb roughly.

So I would of liked to have a single point of wifi connection for all media apps and HDD on the IPads but I don't want to sacrifice the data speed. So the Seagate will be there stand alone and the kids will have to change the data connection between the car and the HDD.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

srbsq7
14-06-2016, 06:01 PM
I just did a test. Via the car on BT Mobile 8.5mbps down, 14mbps up.

Direct on the phone on EE, 77mbps down and 32mbps up.

Strange result as I thought BT was piggybacking EE. Be interesting to see if the car is a bottleneck and can't exceed a certain threshold?

Q7newbie
14-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Strange result as I thought BT was piggybacking EE. Be interesting to see if the car is a bottleneck and can't exceed a certain threshold?
I doubt its bottlenecked. All piggybacked networks don't get the exact full amount of bandwidth that the main provider has access to. It's basic good business sense. Plus you gotta remember that even if they were granted full a to the ee infrastructure, how it is processed, programmed, encrypted etc would all be determined by BT, their software and it's quality.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
14-06-2016, 06:37 PM
True but shouldn't take that much of a hit given BT are saying this is 4G+. Will try in a different area and flag it with them if still poor.

Definitely not the car wifi itself as that is connect on 11n at 73mpbs when I hook the MacBook to it.

Skippy73
14-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Yeah you only get 4G+ in certain areas. There is a map I think that shows.

But it will be interesting to see what speed I get when I change over to the faster 4G ee contract. I don't believe it's the car causing any restrictions though

jimbg
14-06-2016, 07:46 PM
BT have bought EE, so should not be a problem?

srbsq7
14-06-2016, 08:34 PM
BT Mobile warning - no tethering permitted!!!

Just waiting to speak to supervisor to cancel. They said it was in the terms but just been through what they sent and going back through ordering process and I can't see it.

Going with EE once I've cancelled.

Very angry..... [emoji35]

srbsq7
21-06-2016, 07:19 AM

Switched the car sim over to EE last night. Just did a quick speed test comparison and similar results (both on EE 4G+ SIM's):

iPhone - 103 down / 42 up
Car WiFi - 7 down / 27 up

Via wifi, it did start around 10mbps then tailed off. Has anyone able to get better throughput?

Skippy73
22-06-2016, 11:02 AM
That's a bit poor what area is that? as you see in screen shot earlier mine is 16mbs

srbsq7
22-06-2016, 11:28 AM
That's a bit poor what area is that? as you see in screen shot earlier mine is 16mbs

Signal quality is very good hence why EE iPhone is getting over 100mbps, just strange when connected via car wifi and using Car EE Sim it is so much slower. I tried again yesterday and both iPhone 6S+ and Ipad Air 2 were able to get up to 16-17mbps down. Should be fine for normal use but just a shame there is such a bottleneck for the occasions you do want better throughput.