PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! BIKE rack

Q7newbie
11-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Hey guys,
I've got my 1st family biking and hill walking holiday planned since becoming a dad my son is 5 and my daughter 9, so they're finally old enough to appreciate the great outdoors and are now proficient enough cyclists to take off the beaten track.
I've hit a snag though: I cant seem to find a rear mounted bike rack that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and doesn't need to be bought directly from Audi.
I can't get roof mounted because I need the roof for a roof box for luggage.

Any help and suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

satyp
11-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Have you looked at

Car Roof Boxes | Bike Racks | Roof Bars - The Roof Box Company (http://www.roofbox.co.uk/)

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

satyp
11-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Just realised..

Can't on the new one☝doh

Audi Q7 (15 on) :It's not possible to fit a rear door fitting bike carrier to this vehicle. (http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/it_s_not_possible_to_fit_a_rear_door_fitting_bike_ carrier_to_this_vehicle/Qx%40w%2C6M4%2CME%7D%40nkCu5P5zqBAFEhMj%60om%60VyS pn0AtE80UF1HVsfAsK8mcM_%60cg2kjBa7nVOeFHxvg.C)

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Assume you haven't got a tow bar either?

Q7newbie
11-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Have you looked at

Car Roof Boxes | Bike Racks | Roof Bars - The Roof Box Company (http://www.roofbox.co.uk/)

Hi, Yeah, I checked on there. They only have roof mounted and towbar mounted solutions. 😔

Q7newbie
11-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Assume you haven't got a tow bar either?
Afraid not! I'm not a caravanner (yet!)

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Tempted? The Practical Caravan Audi Q7 review - YouTube (https://youtu.be/SZthU49Qi0w)

Q7newbie
11-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Tempted? The Practical Caravan Audi Q7 review - YouTube (https://youtu.be/SZthU49Qi0w)
Wow. I am actually! My Mrs has been badgering on about a caravan for a year or so now. But I just saw it as an excuse for her to be even more lazy on rural holidays. And a way to not have to camp out when we go up further north of our home in Renfrewshire for weekend breaks!

Now, the danger will be me wanting the Q7 equivalent in caravans!

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I want to see one hooked up to Gyro's SQ7 [emoji3] it would probably tear it in half pulling away at the lights!

elrao
13-06-2016, 09:24 AM
I ordered the tow bar, purely for a bike rack! Expensive bike rack.

Q7newbie
13-06-2016, 12:51 PM
I ordered the tow bar, purely for a bike rack! Expensive bike rack.
My thoughts exactly. And the cynic in me can't help but believe that Audi purposely made the q7 incompatible with any rear bike rack apart from their tow bar one.

Thakey17
13-06-2016, 01:55 PM
My thoughts exactly. And the cynic in me can't help but believe that Audi purposely made the q7 incompatible with any rear bike rack apart from their tow bar one.

It's not just Audi. Part of my business is bike racks for cars and we are seeing more new cars unable to take rear mounted carriers. The reason for this is as new cars are made to be lighter for efficiency, the boot panels/hinges are no longer strong enough to take the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sm02fly
13-06-2016, 02:41 PM
It's not just Audi. Part of my business is bike racks for cars and we are seeing more new cars unable to take rear mounted carriers. The reason for this is as new cars are made to be lighter for efficiency, the boot panels/hinges are no longer strong enough to take the weight.

I ordered the factory tow bar (electric retractable) with the 'trailer assist'. Has anyone fitted a bike rack to this (clamps over the ball style) and not damaged the trailer assist sensor on the tow ball?

Given the previous thread about ALKO anti-sway hitches damaging the rotating disc on the towball, I am hestitant to use anything other than a standard trailer hitch...

Part of me wishes I had just ordered a ~£300 removable swan neck towbar... this could be a reasonable option for the original poster? I found a 4 bike towball carrier from Halfords for around £200 a few years ago.

JMB7
13-06-2016, 02:54 PM
I used a Thule easyfold 931 rack on my original Q7 about 10 times before it was replaced for other issues. I wasn't aware it could damage the tow bar until I read this thread.

I'm picking up the replacement on Wednesday, will have a look at the bike rack and see if it's likely it will cause damage before using it in anger!

Q7newbie
13-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Ahhh (mental penny succumbs to gravity). Well how crap!
So, since you're the man to ask, is my best option the tow bar set up then?

Q7newbie
13-06-2016, 06:07 PM
I ordered the factory tow bar (electric retractable) with the 'trailer assist'. Has anyone fitted a bike rack to this (clamps over the ball style) and not damaged the trailer assist sensor on the tow ball?

Given the previous thread about ALKO anti-sway hitches damaging the rotating disc on the towball, I am hestitant to use anything other than a standard trailer hitch...

Part of me wishes I had just ordered a ~£300 removable swan neck towbar... this could be a reasonable option for the original poster? I found a 4 bike towball carrier from Halfords for around £200 a few years ago.
Was the set up you found from Halfords generic to fit any tow ball, or was it a particular Q7 specified fit?

Thakey17
13-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Ahhh (mental penny succumbs to gravity). Well how crap!
So, since you're the man to ask, is my best option the tow bar set up then?

As long as you buy a reputable brand then you can't go wrong. Any good brand will have a website where you can check if it is suitable for your car. I also think that how you carry bikes is totally personal preference. For me personally I will go with the roof option. It gives a lot more flexibility. If I'm taking one bike, only fit one rack, no need to be lugging around the big 3 bike carrier at the back of the car. If two or three, fit as needed. Also no electrics needed, trailer board (lights/number plate). Just watch the height restrictions on certain car parks!!!!!!!!! I've seen people totally strip their load driving in to these without thinking.

sm02fly
13-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Was the set up you found from Halfords generic to fit any tow ball, or was it a particular Q7 specified fit?

generic- used it previously on a Passat. Just clamps over (completely encloses) the towball and tightened with a spanner on the top to give a good fit. It's this that I am worried about damaging the rotating disc sensor used by the tow assist...

Q7newbie
13-06-2016, 11:35 PM
As long as you buy a reputable brand then you can't go wrong. Any good brand will have a website where you can check if it is suitable for your car. I also think that how you carry bikes is totally personal preference. For me personally I will go with the roof option. It gives a lot more flexibility. If I'm taking one bike, only fit one rack, no need to be lugging around the big 3 bike carrier at the back of the car. If two or three, fit as needed. Also no electrics needed, trailer board (lights/number plate). Just watch the height restrictions on certain car parks!!!!!!!!! I've seen people totally strip their load driving in to these without thinking.
Thanks for that.
I couldn't ever go with the roof option because the only time I'd ever have the bikes would be for a outdoor break that would necessitate my having the roof box for luggage and camping gear. So my only option will always have to be the tow bar prep.

EssexGonzo
18-06-2016, 07:48 PM
My own view is that Audi have done you a favour by ruling out the rear mounted rack.

I carry decent bikes a lot and would never, ever contemplate mounting bikes on a tailgate for a whole number of reasons. Main one is that they're just not stable over bumps. Others include not secure from theft, bikes could be damaged if rammed from behind, road grime and salt is not good for the bikes, bikes can easily scratch the car......etc. On top of that, exhaust heat is apparently an issue with larger engines in a traffic jam. A mate had a C5 RS6 many years ago and the heat generated in a jam melted plastic toe clips and various other bits. That maybe just a V8 problem though........:naughty:

Have you considered bikes on the roof plus one of these...? Thule EasyBase BackUp Box 900 - 900 (https://roofracks.co.uk/thule-easybase-backup-box-900/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4pO7BRDl9ePazKzr1LYBEiQAHLJdRxM4Xab xnU-ci2R3MlDVUjsTphwfowQgl6g3RCINdvYaAqqY8P8HAQ) I'm seeing more and more of them. You'd still need a towbar but if you do this regularly, it may be worth it.

Or maybe you need a bigger car than a Q7........:rolleyes::biggthump:biglaugh:

Q7newbie
19-06-2016, 03:48 AM
My own view is that Audi have done you a favour by ruling out the rear mounted rack.

I carry decent bikes a lot and would never, ever contemplate mounting bikes on a tailgate for a whole number of reasons. Main one is that they're just not stable over bumps. Others include not secure from theft, bikes could be damaged if rammed from behind, road grime and salt is not good for the bikes, bikes can easily scratch the car......etc. On top of that, exhaust heat is apparently an issue with larger engines in a traffic jam. A mate had a C5 RS6 many years ago and the heat generated in a jam melted plastic toe clips and various other bits. That maybe just a V8 problem though........:naughty:

Have you considered bikes on the roof plus one of these...? Thule EasyBase BackUp Box 900 - 900 (https://roofracks.co.uk/thule-easybase-backup-box-900/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4pO7BRDl9ePazKzr1LYBEiQAHLJdRxM4Xab xnU-ci2R3MlDVUjsTphwfowQgl6g3RCINdvYaAqqY8P8HAQ) I'm seeing more and more of them. You'd still need a towbar but if you do this regularly, it may be worth it.

Or maybe you need a bigger car than a Q7........:rolleyes::biggthump:biglaugh:
Welk, thanks for that. Luckily I'm not an avid enough cyclist to own or carry any bikes worth any more than the cost of maybe two Q7 tyres!
I have a few questions for your expert self:
does this exhaust heat problem nor affect bikes are rear cargo even if they are towbar mounted?
Do these kind of rear cargo solutions allow got access to the boot while the cargo is in place, or do you have to remove the bikes or box first?

Finally, that link is great. I've never seen that mind if cargo solution for a car before. Thanks!

EssexGonzo
19-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't think it does allow the tailgate to be opened whilst fitted but I can think of two ways around this: 1) on the journey put any required stuff just behind the seats or in the box itself and 2) when you get to your destination, take the box and rack off and stow them somewhere. The video makes it look like a 10 minute job max, looks pretty simple.

On the heat side of things I would have though Thule would make it fit for purpose which includes being waterproof and resisting exhaust heat. Whereas I wouldn't expect a bike manufacturer to worry about such things. And a modern diesel is so much more thermally efficient than a 90's V8 (or even a 2015 V8 which I have!) so I'd imagine that nowhere near as much fire and brimstone comes out of the exhaust.