PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Q7 Control Unit Replacement

mcakir
11-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

I decided to buy Q7 S-Line from a local dealer already in the showroom. They could not deliver the car on the delivery date. They said there is a problem with cameras, they tried to upgrade the software but it did not work. They told me they might need to replace the control unit. This all process frustrated me, the only reason for buying a brand new car is not to have this type of bad experience. Such a big disappointment. And now probably they will offer a car with already the most important part replaced. Anyone can advise me what sort of action I can take? Thanks.

satyp
11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi

Sorry to hear this..

The new Consumer Rights Act 2015 have put in place a sort of tiered system to help with issues like this..

It has a big focus on car purchases esp , finance.. Etc, considering this can be huge investments for a lot of folk

Theres 6month reject in the 1st 6th months.. walk away in the 1st 30 days.. You don't have to buy

Depending on you exact circumstances and together with Motorcodes and SMMT you have a lot of protection.. A quick search should set you in the right direction. I wouldn't worry about the delear intimidating you to keep the car should that be the case..

Hope it helps

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

mcakir
11-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice.

The dealer will probably claim that they fixed the faulty part (albeit an important part which almost makes the car secondhand) makebefore the delivery. Do I still have the right to reject under the Consumer Rights Act? Thanks.

satyp
11-06-2016, 03:05 PM
It's a little tricky.. Potentially they just want to rid the car. Maybe seek further advice via Motorcodes as well

The way I see it how did the car develop this fault even before you've received it. Is this not meant to have been checked as part of their 150 point QC checks, whilst the car is in the lot.

As far as your concerned you are accepting something that was not as described. Depending on how strongly you feel and if they are able to possibly offer you 2 additional years of warranty.

Don`t accept the car whilst the ball is still in your court. Try put\maintain any or all of this dialogue via written communication if ain't already doing so..

satyp
11-06-2016, 03:10 PM
I think delays with orders etc can considered acceptable as it's outside thier control if the car is coming from factory. It is not unusual also for factory delivered car do develop faults either. Nature of the beast unfortunately.

What is unusual is the car was already in the showroom. The seller should have had a full list if checks already carried out on the car as they are required to. You have a right to ask for it and it should be available electronically

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 03:14 PM
After reading about some of the issues the guys have had that Audi agreed to replace the whole car, I'd be a bit nervous and inclined to reject it unless they could be very specific about what the issue was, the known fault it related to etc

Replacing the part doesn't worry me too much as long as it's not just them 'troubleshooting'.

satyp
11-06-2016, 03:53 PM
This may help..
New car rights: Can I reject my car? | Carbuyer (http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/your-new-car-rights)

Good 👍 luck

Nemo78
11-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Hi there,

Have you taken delivery of the car or was the delay to delivery to allow them to fix the control unit which somehow they picked up via the PDI?

The link above (I haven't read) but presume is all about the new Consumer Rights Act?

It's not uncommon at all for new cars to come with a few problems (trust me I know) and there are numerous Qs out there which have various issues and again numerous Qs which are absolutely fine.

If you haven't taken delivery I guess you could have a calm conversation about the exact problem and whether you want to walk away / have a new car ordered?

If it's fixed...great, and don't worry the consumer rights act works for you. If outside the first 30 days you need to give one opportunity to fix and if that fails then you can enter the rejection conversation.

If the fix hasn't been fixed and the issue reoccurs within the 6 months then again you can probably enter rejection conversation.

Good Luck with it all and keep us posted.

Edit: the one biggie is that they've been honest with you from the start...if all pre delivery they could've fixed and not mentioned just saying we have a delay. If they'd have PDId a few days earlier you may have been non the wiser...

mcakir
11-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Hi,

I have not taken the delivery yet, they are still trying to work out what causes the problem. They contacted the factory to figure out how to solve it, if the factory says the control unit needs to be replaced. Then the delivery will be delayed for that part to arrive and installed. What is worrying me is that it is a very important part of the car, it would be a repaired car even before I drive it. You don`t expect such a thing when you buy a brand new car. Trouble free start is the whole purpose of buying a brand new car instead of second hand at half price. I feel cheated.

The car was already in the showroom (they told me it arrived less than week when I agreed to buy, and now it appear it was in the showroom more than 3 months and also moved from another dealer), they told me PDIs are not done yet. But it turns out that PDI was done months ago. They knew the car has a problem and did not tell me. Now they are trying to cheat me that the fault appeared when they tried to upgrade the map version. I lost faith in the dealer and the company. Audi does not have any control on these type dealers?

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 11:47 PM
From your last post, doesn't sound like they're being straight with you. If I were in your position I would be inclined to go with my gut feeling and reject it.

This is a "big" purchase and you should be excited / happy / looking forward to taking delivery.

Don't give up on the car though, just consider starting again.

srbsq7
11-06-2016, 11:53 PM
Should add, I've had a couple of minor issues with my new build - microphone not working and trim on driver side rear door. Slightly annoying but I've yet to be 100% happy with any new car and certainly hasn't damaged my impression of the car.

Nemo78
12-06-2016, 02:31 AM
Walk away now...if you can.

If you've got these thoughts and issues now as srbsq7 says your last post doesn't sound great.

Now what I don't know is and I assuming here (and that could be a big problem) so far I guess you're tied in with a deposit and nothing else? If so is it still an official rejection or just changed my mind? I'd argue (not literally argue if you know what I mean) that you don't want to have the car they are offering as something as major as the ECU needing to be changed pre delivery doesn't bode well.

See how they react with that?

I have to say overall the Q7 is a great car but this mk2 has been blighted with several issues.

By the way Audi UK don't really care as they will tell dealer to fix the car and will tell them what the fix is which at times is trial and error. But it's probably worth logging your problem and desire to not take delivery with them (just so they have it on record)

My final bit of advice is that have a look at what you stand to lose if all you're sitting is deposit payment with the order invoice you have...is it just the deposit if you walk away now? Could you get dealers to agree to switch this deposit to a new order of Q7? Downside being having to wait longer for the new car.

Maybe if possible grab some quick legal advice to understand exactly where you stand legally and go from there as I'm for one not a legal beagle but it really helped me knowing what I could and couldn't do when I was entering rejection conversations.

andyhud007
12-06-2016, 07:50 AM
I agree. It sounds like they haven't been straight with you and sounds like salesman BS to get you to buy it. (1 week old when actually 3 months etc).

I'd walk in with my consumer rights act document, say your not taking they vehicle, get your deposit back and walk away. Find another (better) dealer to deal with. It's not worth it on such a big investment

satyp
12-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Walk away now...if you can.

If you've got these thoughts and issues now as srbsq7 says your last post doesn't sound great.

Now what I don't know is and I assuming here (and that could be a big problem) so far I guess you're tied in with a deposit and nothing else? If so is it still an official rejection or just changed my mind? I'd argue (not literally argue if you know what I mean) that you don't want to have the car they are offering as something as major as the ECU needing to be changed pre delivery doesn't bode well.

See how they react with that?

I have to say overall the Q7 is a great car but this mk2 has been blighted with several issues.

By the way Audi UK don't really care as they will tell dealer to fix the car and will tell them what the fix is which at times is trial and error. But it's probably worth logging your problem and desire to not take delivery with them (just so they have it on record)

My final bit of advice is that have a look at what you stand to lose if all you're sitting is deposit payment with the order invoice you have...is it just the deposit if you walk away now? Could you get dealers to agree to switch this deposit to a new order of Q7? Downside being having to wait longer for the new car.

Maybe if possible grab some quick legal advice to understand exactly where you stand legally and go from there as I'm for one not a legal beagle but it really helped me knowing what I could and couldn't do when I was entering rejection conversations.
Hey Nemo

Can I ask if ended up loosing any deposit on the car.. and if translated to the swap? Thanks

Nemo78
12-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Hey Nemo

Can I ask if ended up loosing any deposit on the car.. and if translated to the swap? Thanks

Hey Satyp, do you mean on my car or for OP?

JMB7
12-06-2016, 08:01 AM
I'd walk away and buy from another dealer also.

My original Q7 had issues and one of the 'solutions' was to replace the mmi control unit. This didn't solve the issue and then it was a battle with Audi UK to get a replacement car. Luckily with the dealers backing they finally agreed to replace it and it's due for collection next week. (Although order tracker suddenly went from arrived in UK to order cancelled, hopefully a glitch).

I wouldn't want to go through that again or wish it on anyone else!

satyp
12-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Hey Satyp, do you mean on my car or for OP?
Yeah sorry, assumed you might have had a deposit on the last purchase before dealer swapped you to new one? If that's indeed how it went down....

Nemo78
12-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Yeah sorry, assumed you might have had a deposit on the last purchase before dealer swapped you to new one? If that's indeed how it went down....

Ah right, no...

I had my car and various issues became apparent within 24/48 hours and in to first three months...when the car went back in again at around the 3 month mark it was with them for over a week and not everything was unfortunately fixed / awaiting details from AUK.

So I entered the rejection conversation and have to say my dealers were absolutely fantastic and supported me all the way.

Therefore they ordered me a replacement car (whilst I was allowed to keep the original one) and I got the replacement a couple of months or so ago

satyp
12-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Ah right, no...

I had my car and various issues became apparent within 24/48 hours and in to first three months...when the car went back in again at around the 3 month mark it was with them for over a week and not everything was unfortunately fixed / awaiting details from AUK.

So I entered the rejection conversation and have to say my dealers were absolutely fantastic and supported me all the way.

Therefore they ordered me a replacement car (whilst I was allowed to keep the original one) and I got the replacement a couple of months or so ago
I've put a real “hefty” deposit on this new Q , against my better judgement [emoji33] , but had compelling reason to this time..

..so just hoping for the best but trying to stay prepared for the worst, if you know what I mean..[emoji3]

...Should anything happened other than a write off which again I hope will be covered by the GAP inc deposit..

I wasn't sure what happens in reality with a DEPOSIT when you actually reject as I only ever had to consider it and never really go through with it thankfully.

All this reject talk [emoji33] always get the mind racing..

Nemo78
12-06-2016, 09:17 AM
I've put a real “hefty” deposit on this new Q , against my better judgement [emoji33] , but had compelling reason to this time..

..so just hoping for the best but trying to stay prepared for the worst, if you know what I mean..[emoji3]

...Should anything happened other than a write off which again I hope will be covered by the GAP inc deposit..

I wasn't sure what happens in reality with a DEPOSIT when you actually reject as I only ever had to consider it and never really go through with it thankfully.

All this reject talk [emoji33] always get the mind racing..

It'll be fine don't worry....I've just been unlucky and I'm sure if you look at the actual numbers of Q7s that have issues vs those which are fine I'll be in the minority with JMB7.

So 'enjoy' the wait and count down those days glued to the tracker!

mcakir
12-06-2016, 09:45 AM
I put down a small deposit but I signed the financing documents the day before the agreed delivery date which was last week. They were not able to deliver on the agreed delivery date.

Should I escalate the issue to the factory at this stage or keep the conversations at the dealer level?

Nemo78
12-06-2016, 09:57 AM
I put down a small deposit but I signed the financing documents the day before the agreed delivery date which was last week. They were not able to deliver on the agreed delivery date.

Should I escalate the issue to the factory at this stage or keep the conversations at the dealer level?

It's all dealer level so raise with them

satyp
12-06-2016, 10:17 AM
It'll be fine don't worry....I've just been unlucky and I'm sure if you look at the actual numbers of Q7s that have issues vs those which are fine I'll be in the minority with JMB7.

So 'enjoy' the wait and count down those days glued to the tracker!
Thanks nemo..

Anxiously waiting and staying positive too..

(But easy to delve into “Wrath from mrs et all territory” for not investing in bricks and mortar instead, when reading about some experiences with folk and Audi [emoji50])

Anticipating 1 week in QC as below from yesterday and possibly 2 wks from then me-thinks..

So not long now

Just trying to confirm dates with long detail re Gtechniq seal and rim protection

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/df009f2604ac9b78e5054cfa5b1eed95.jpg

satyp
12-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Dealer would be my 1st thought..

srbsq7
12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks nemo..

Anxiously waiting and staying positive too..

(But easy to delve into “Wrath from mrs et all territory” for not investing in bricks and mortar instead, when reading about some experiences with folk and Audi [emoji50])

Anticipating 1 week in QC as below from yesterday and possibly 2 wks from then me-thinks..

So not long now

Just trying to confirm dates with long detail re Gtechniq seal and rim protection

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/df009f2604ac9b78e5054cfa5b1eed95.jpg

Excellent news, not long now.

I'd install the MarineTraffic app now so you can track the African Highway & EMS Highway [emoji28]. What boat is my car on is almost as frustrating as checking the tracker each morning!

satyp
12-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Excellent news, not long now.

I'd install the MarineTraffic app now so you can track the African Highway & EMS Highway [emoji28]. What boat is my car on is almost as frustrating as checking the tracker each morning!
Wow.. No way didn't know that's actually possible to do with the order.. Will install in the eve.. After kids swimming etc.. Nice one!![emoji3]

B5NUT
12-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm about to go through a car rejection, my dealer has been unable to fix a few faults on my new A6, so starting tomorrow I'm in discussion to reject the car. Dealers have been fantastic so far, and they know I'm fed up with the car going in for repairs.

If it's a single fault and they can fix it then OK, but make sure your not buying into a lemon.

mcakir
12-06-2016, 03:19 PM
It is a single fault but at the most important part: Engine control unit.

Nemo78
14-06-2016, 07:04 PM
mcakir - how have you got on with this?

mcakir
14-06-2016, 08:04 PM
I sent an email to the dealer that I lost the faith in the car and requested to have another car or a full refund. Still waiting for their reply. I never thought I would experience such a dreadful process when buying a new car from Audi!!!