PDA

View Full Version : NEW Q7 272PS - Are the factory supplied Pirelli Scorpion Verde 20" (285/45 R20's) - Actually Run-Flats?

satyp
07-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Not sure I'm asking the right question? but as Audi now only optionally supply the the spare wheel at the expense of losing part of the 3rd row seats.

Are the new tyres RUN FLATS? have Audi supplied "Pirelli's" they always been RUN FLAT?

satyp
07-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Not sure I'm asking the right question? but as Audi now only optionally supply the the spare wheel at the expense of losing part of the 3rd row seats.

Are the new tyres RUN FLATS? have Audi supplied "Pirelli's" they always been RUN FLAT?

link seems to sugest that All Perellis's are - maybe I have understood it wrong :-0
https://www.national.co.uk/information/run-flat-tyres

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Almost certain mine are not run-flats as I've got the repair foam canister and pump under the boot floor. I do recall reading some other markets are using run flats - US might be one??

satyp
07-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Seriously I think most premium manufacture should just supply this by default now atleast in certain car configurations and all territories round the world.. It's not like the roads are getting any better either

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Nemo78
07-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Don't believe our tyres are run flats but could well be mistaken...

I have the tyre gunk and pump in the boot

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Seriously I think most premium manufacture should just supply this by default now atleast in certain car configurations and all territories round the world.. It's not like the roads are getting any better either

No!! I don't want them. 4 1/2 years of X5 ownership on run flats and I don't want them ever again. Cost too much (approx 1/3 extra) and ride quality is terrible.

satyp
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Cost more than ride quality?

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 03:39 PM
For me, ride quality was the key driver for this car. That's why I didn't upgrade to 21" and went for air suspension. Any car with run flats was ruled out.

satyp
07-06-2016, 03:42 PM
No!! I don't want them. 4 1/2 years of X5 ownership on run flats and I don't want them ever again. Cost too much (approx 1/3 extra) and ride quality is terrible.
Discounting Ride quality... As I've never had them.. I think the manufacturing cost currently is more of “ I will charge more cause I can..” I'm sure if the was a requirement to have this on my govt for example equalities of scale would kick in and see it come down anyway as they'll need to sell cars..

I'm not sure why consumers with BMW have to put up with them if RIDE QUALITY is also a joke..

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 04:26 PM
If you look on the xdrivers forum, you'll see quite a few people ditch the run flats when they replace the tires.

satyp
07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
If you look on the xdrivers forum, you'll see quite a few people ditch the run flats when they replace the tires.
Interesting Stuff.. So Run Flats appear to another FAD..

Wonder what tick boxes & requirements they are fullfilling.. if consumers don't want them they'll have to me a manufacture led cost cutting based initiative to research and produce these at higher cost obviously..

Also Wonder whats taken up the room of the last spare wheel in the 4M.. Other than the BOSE amplifier which is still way smaller and lighter than the spare wheel..

Q7newbie
08-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Run-flats are <very bad>. As already stated, they are unjustifiably expensive, any reputable tyre centre refuse to repair even the tiniest puncture on them (talking from experience after owning an E60 M5) and the ride is as horrid as you guys have said, and then some.
As for their "safety" advantages of blow outs at high speed: I beg to differ. Having had 2 blows out at 70+mph on run flats and normal tyres. The resulting swerve, skid, fear and damage were literally the same.

If they were so amazing, the entire car world woulda jumped on the bandwagon ages ago.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
08-06-2016, 09:58 AM
My wife's X1 had a puncture last year that meant the tyre would deflate in approx 15 minutes. I was able to drive down to the tyre shop on it at speeds up to 40mph but it didn't feel pleasant.

The last fast puncture / blow out either of us had was 20 years ago so overkill in my opinion.

I imagine the electronics these days on the Q7 would keep the car stable if you suffered a puncture?

satyp
08-06-2016, 10:21 AM
It's good 👍 to have take on this.. As had a massive hiccup about not having a spare tyre on this Q7.. Having on the last one esp in the lakes (district) trips felt like havinga safety net..

But like SRB said.. I've not had a puncture in the 3yr at least not in the last Q7..

Let's see how my “pot-luck” holds up in the new one 👀 ☝