PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder on demand

Truckone
04-06-2016, 08:47 AM
I am looking for 2013 A3 Audi s line 1.4 petrol, how do I know if it has cylinder on demand if it's not advertised, thanks

M1tchy
04-06-2016, 09:00 AM
It's normally on the bigger engines as they can get away with shutting half down without you noticing.

Highly doubt it will be on a 1.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckone
04-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks for that thought I saw somewhere 1.4s had cod but obviously not ��

JamesMo
05-06-2016, 03:18 PM
We have cylinder on demand on a 1.4 golf tsi - it is totally superb, you can't feel the cylinders shutting down or coming back on stream, but u can watch the fuel economy jumping up!

i don't know the engine code, but if you look at the cam cover you will see four black square boxes (2 over each camshaft) above cylinders 2 and 3. These are the actuators that disable the cams and are only present on the ACT engine.

Truckone
05-06-2016, 03:37 PM
We have cylinder on demand on a 1.4 golf tsi - it is totally superb, you can't feel the cylinders shutting down or coming back on stream, but u can watch the fuel economy jumping up!

i don't know the engine code, but if you look at the cam cover you will see four black square boxes (2 over each camshaft) above cylinders 2 and 3. These are the actuators that disable the cams and are only present on the ACT engine.
Excellent will try and have a look when I get chance, appreciate your reply many thanks

MrPaulus
08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
The 1.4 with COD is either 140 or 150bhp. The non COD model has a much lower output.

Bloater
15-06-2016, 12:57 PM
The 1.4 fitted to the cabriolet is COD as it's the one with the higher output, presumably due to the increased weight.

For me personally, the COD is noticeable, trundling down the motorway at 50mph in 6th gear feels quite lumpy, almost as though the revs are too low (they aren't). Just tickle the throttle and all becomes smooth as the rest of the engine starts working. At 70mph it's barely noticeable that half the engine is on strike, other than the label on the dashboard and the fuel economy goes up massively.

I'd have it again, no worries.

wibblyw
22-08-2016, 09:47 AM
At 70mph it's barely noticeable that half the engine is on strike, other than the label on the dashboard and the fuel economy goes up massively.

About to get the 150PS COD myself. I find it amusing to paying all that money for in effect a "700cc two pot engine" when I'm driving it gently ;-)

Fexo
22-08-2016, 01:00 PM
My wife has ordered one, but the delivery keeps going back; it appears that there are supplier problems. It moved from the beginning of September to mid-October but it is now back to 3rd week of September. A pain as the old A4 will need road tax.........

wibblyw
06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
About to get the 150PS COD myself. I find it amusing to paying all that money for in effect a "700cc two pot engine" when I'm driving it gently ;-)

I now have the car & like it a lot. I CAN feel it running on 2 cylinders some of the time/under some conditions, but it's a good compromise in my opinion.

I think it's always the same 2 cylinders that provide the 2 cylinder power, right? I wonder what the long term implications are of that in terms of engine wear/longevity?

Fexo
06-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Another 2-3 weeks for us. Mainly around town and less than 5k/yr so it hopefully won't matter which are used.

Strange to find that they still haven't taken the deposit for it yet (almost 3 months!).

Fexo
07-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Hmm, the build has now gone back and won't start until 3rd October; most disapointed!

k6rff
08-09-2016, 10:46 PM
1.4 cylinder on demand certainly exists. My son just picked up his 66 reg A3 1.4 TFSI sport back which knocks out 150 ps no less

Fexo
24-10-2016, 08:45 AM
We picked up the new car yesterday (3 door) and it was very impressive for 1.4 litres. MMI system is my daughter's new toy, but certainly not impressed by the boot; it looks smaller than my Audi 80 from 25 years ago (which is saying something). Getting her kit bags in there is going to be tough and we might as well not even bother with the sticks. I really don't understand why there is so much space above the spare wheel which could be better utilised.

MrPaulus
24-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Doesn't your boot floor drop down? Just pull it out and put it in the lower position. My A3 did that and I don't think it had any special options.

Fexo
24-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Oh, thank, I'll check it out. I didn't note any way of doing that- maybe a read of the manual is in order!

k6rff
24-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Yep. My son just bought a bog basic A3 sport 1.4 and the boot has two levels. Sound like the dealership slipped up on the handover.

Fexo
24-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks. We were in a rush to find somewhere for lunch and, having had many Audis over the years, rushed the familiarisation with the chap. Unfortunately, both the places we were interested in were booked up so we could have spent more time there. To be honest, it seems a lot better than my 61 reg 5 door which has a very flimsy cover in the boot. At least we didn't have to go out and buy a spare wheel, which I had to do.

Fexo
29-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Very unimpressed! My wife was taking my daughter to training in Gloustershire and the front panel has lit up like a Christmas tree! She's currently in a dealer in Cheltenham, so let's see what happens.

Fexo
30-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Even less impressed. The dealer did a scan then told her to drive off the premises and call Audi assist and let them deal with it! After speaking to them, it was clear that there was going to be considerable problems about getting a spare car within the time frame required (picking up daughter, getting a full car full of stuff for her sister 30 miles away).

After a lot of arguing, a spare A1 was provided.

Worked out in the end, but I would have expected a better response from a dealer (after all, the handbook does say to go to the nearest dealer when these problems occur).

lucy1234
08-04-2022, 10:47 AM
I am looking for 2013 A3 Audi s line 1.4 petrol, how do I know if it has cylinder on demand if it's not advertised, thanks

Hi there, you probably have found a new car by now. There are 2 s-line 1.4 engines. One outputs 123BHP, and the other 148BHP. The 148BHP engine has CoD.