PDA

View Full Version : The WT# Data Usage Thread.

pitch3110
01-06-2016, 07:15 PM
So after my Google map issue over the weekend and the helpful replies, my increase data allowance kicked in nicely and voila all back online again.

However, been using the R over the past two days so Mrs P can get some Q7 miles under her belt, which was nice, jumped in this evening and *** data all gone again......

Now I turned the wifi off so this is not the issue, as a double I reset loads of settings on the 6S so if I did need wifi the phone was not feasting and still the motor is chomping through it.

Now I managed one hell of a PCH on the Q7 which is peanuts, but I reckon the data is going to cost me more than lease at this rate.

So my fellow 4M buddies, what do we think is the killer here???????

Ta
Pitch

Skippy73
01-06-2016, 08:03 PM
So after my Google map issue over the weekend and the helpful replies, my increase data allowance kicked in nicely and voila all back online again.

However, been using the R over the past two days so Mrs P can get some Q7 miles under her belt, which was nice, jumped in this evening and *** data all gone again......

Now I turned the wifi off so this is not the issue, as a double I reset loads of settings on the 6S so if I did need wifi the phone was not feasting and still the motor is chomping through it.

Now I managed one hell of a PCH on the Q7 which is peanuts, but I reckon the data is going to cost me more than lease at this rate.

So my fellow 4M buddies, what do we think is the killer here???????

Ta
Pitch
I have slowed my data down now pitch I am using android which I still let connect to the car via wifi but I spent some time going through the phones settings. No more will the phone auto update apps, news feeds, Facebook, etc I don't have maps displayed or use navigation unless I need to know where I'm going. So it's slowed a little and I will see how it goes over the month. While I'm driving I open connection manager/online settings data usage and leave that on display. You can watch the data climb lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Oh no! I checked mine on Monday and after 9 days and 100 miles I'd done 1gb. 500mb went on day one though.

I think this will be hard to pin down. Probably have to use the data usage meter on the car to measure consumption as you turn off one possible cause at a time.

I went for a 20gb p/m sim from BT Mobile for £20 p/m as all the other deals were for 2gb and I just couldn't be dealing with constantly running out. Also means the kids can use the wifi hotspot.

Nemo78
02-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Some thing is using the data and I'm not sure what...not connected any devices up via wifi after previous data guzzle.

Having been down south for a few days and all new data download for Google Maps I've had a text saying 80% of data used for the sim.

srbsq7
02-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Some thing is using the data and I'm not sure what...not connected any devices up via wifi after previous data guzzle.

Having been down south for a few days and all new data download for Google Maps I've had a text saying 80% of data used for the sim.

I'm thinking the Google Earth view must be real-time and not downloaded. When I was looking in Audi Connect last night, the Google Earth activation is a menu in there.

andyhud007
02-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Strange, I'm not seeing similar issues. I use it for Audi Connect, Google Maps, Traffic, Napster, Aupeo! and wifi and im not chomping through loads.

It hasnt done a recent Map update has it over the air? I'm sure you need to confirm that before it kicks off so probably a red herring.

I have an Samsung S6 Edge+ on Android 6.0.1 btw.

sorry, not much help

dghdgh
03-06-2016, 08:58 AM
I must confess I am really surprised Audi don't take performance data from vehicles, its quite common in the fleet market. As a new model lab testing is fine but real life driving by real life drivers would be invaluable to a manufacture, at least I think so.

jamief
06-06-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking the Google Earth view must be real-time and not downloaded. When I was looking in Audi Connect last night, the Google Earth activation is a menu in there.

The Google Earth satellite view is cached. I know this because I use my phone as a Wifi hotspot for the car to connect to (i.e. the car has no SIM itself). When I don't turn my phone onto hotspot mode, the car still shows previously downloaded satellite views, albeit with a warning about no data connection.

andyhud007
06-06-2016, 04:59 PM
The Google Earth satellite view is cached. I know this because I use my phone as a Wifi hotspot for the car to connect to (i.e. the car has no SIM itself). When I don't turn my phone onto hotspot mode, the car still shows previously downloaded satellite views, albeit with a warning about no data connection.

I concur, it is cached. If your data runs out and your SIM is not connected to the internet you still see google maps, but the "quality" of the image of the map is poorer (if that makes sense), its more blurry basically. At least, thats how it worked in my motor.

srbsq7
06-06-2016, 07:06 PM
I concur, it is cached. If your data runs out and your SIM is not connected to the internet you still see google maps, but the "quality" of the image of the map is poorer (if that makes sense), its more blurry basically. At least, thats how it worked in my motor.

Still could mean it's drawing a lot of data though if you are covering new areas frequently and perhaps getting the car to auto zoom so it's constantly pulling new data down if data connection is available.

pitch3110
06-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Good points gents and yes Andy mine does look all blurry.

Perhaps the killer for my data was the 200 mile trip to York with Google Earth running constantly.

srbsq7
06-06-2016, 09:34 PM
Just check my data usage after a couple of hundred miles this weekend driving with Google Earth on both screens, VC doing direction of travel and zooming and data usage only gone up to 1.35gb so perhaps .35 for this trip. Not much. Had wifi hotspot on too so 2 phones would have been hooked up too.

Skippy73
07-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Has anyone considered doing a Three contract data plan at the moment. We are all carefully monitoring our data usage and I currently have a pay as you go 90days/6Gb EE sim in my car. But I have noticed that Three are doing half price for first 6mths with unlimited data. So that's 11.50mth for 6mths then 23.00mth for last 6mths. Works out at 17.25mth. But for unlimited data it means I don't have to worry. I can let the kids happily watch Netflix or you tube on their Ipads etc without worry of the data usage.

andyhud007
07-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Skippy, thats not bad when you do the maths.... I assume you need to sign up for 12 months?

Gyro
07-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I was looking at the Three deals this morning - unlimited data would be good as you say.

I am still unclear on how Audi Connect works though! I wil be having the tech pack with "embedded SIM" that comes with "3 year subscription" - does this subscription cover me for data or do I need an extra SIM card? Do you sign into the car's SIM/new SIM hotspot like you would with any normal WiFi such as in your house - I assume it automatically connects every time you get in? Can more than one device be signed into it at once? I think I read that you can have up to eight devices?

If the embedded SIM doesn't cover you for data and you don't buy a new SIM...I assume it defaults to your mobile phone to create the hotspot...?

Also does this work in conjunction with the Audi Phonebox? All I Can see that this does is allow two phones to be connected at once and has WiFi...not sure if this integrates/supplements with Audi Connect at all?

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions but this has been bugging me for a while so thought I'd get it written down. Dealer has said that the embedded SIM covers data but he's not sure how much...but Audi Connect option on its own is only £350, which is just under a tenner a month over three years. Seems too good to be true for unlimited data!

Thank very much in advance...sorry for all the questions, feel like I've been all take and no give since I signed up :Blush2:

andyhud007
07-06-2016, 09:14 AM
I was looking at the Three deals this morning - unlimited data would be good as you say.

I am still unclear on how Audi Connect works though! I wil be having the tech pack with "embedded SIM" that comes with "3 year subscription" - does this subscription cover me for data or do I need an extra SIM card? Do you sign into the car's SIM/new SIM hotspot like you would with any normal WiFi such as in your house - I assume it automatically connects every time you get in? Can more than one device be signed into it at once? I think I read that you can have up to eight devices?

If the embedded SIM doesn't cover you for data and you don't buy a new SIM...I assume it defaults to your mobile phone to create the hotspot...?

Also does this work in conjunction with the Audi Phonebox? All I Can see that this does is allow two phones to be connected at once and has WiFi...not sure if this integrates/supplements with Audi Connect at all?

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions but this has been bugging me for a while so thought I'd get it written down. Dealer has said that the embedded SIM covers data but he's not sure how much...but Audi Connect option on its own is only £350, which is just under a tenner a month over three years. Seems too good to be true for unlimited data!

Thank very much in advance...sorry for all the questions, feel like I've been all take and no give since I signed up :Blush2:

Hey Gyro,

Truth is I dont think we really know yet but I'll try my best to answer.

1. Audi Connect connects over Data whether your tethered phone data or the sim (or now I guess the embedded sim). We are not clear if there is still a SIM card slot in the glove box for those cars that will get the embedded sim, my personal guess is yes there will be, but we just dont know yet.
2. Yes the Wifi Hotspot in the car you connect to like a normal wifi and security code. As long as wifi is on your phone it will auto connect.
3. Yes, more than 1 device can connect to the cars Wifi hotspot. Not sure if the max is 8, not tried, but sounds plausible.
4. My understanding is the Embedded SIM will cover Audi Connect and SOS services and remote lock/unlock. I doubt it will support normal Wifi devices over the hotspot browsing youtube, but again, we just dont know, its nothing more than a guess right now.
5. What do you mean in conjunction with Audi PhoneBox? The PhoneBox is a wireless charging box and antenna boost for your phone, it doesnt do anything in terms of "data". At least not to my knowledge. Happy to be corrected.
6. You can connect two phones, via Bluetooth, to the car if you have Audi PhoneBox (I dont understand why you need PhoneBox for 2 devices via Bluetooth but there you go). If you dont have phonebox then I guess only 1 device at a time to your car.
7. PhoneBox doesnt have "Wifi" like a home wifi it just uses the car Wifi to boost your antenna signal.

thats my thoughts and what I know... I'm sure the guys will correct me if they think different

Andy

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 09:28 AM
I managed to find this article again posted on Audi UK. Looks like you do get unlimited data for 3 months then you have to pay: Audi Connect SIM – online without borders (https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/audi-connect-sim-online-without-borders.html)

I guess the question is how much and what mobile partner delivers the UK coverage for Cubic Telecom?

I opted for BT Telecom who use EE's infrastructure. I believe they still have by far the best 4G coverage. Having a BT landline meant the £25 p/m cost dropped to £20 for 20Gb data p/m.

srbsq7
07-06-2016, 09:39 AM
I managed to find this article again posted on Audi UK. Looks like you do get unlimited data for 3 months then you have to pay: Audi Connect SIM – online without borders (https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/audi-connect-sim-online-without-borders.html)

I guess the question is how much and what mobile partner delivers the UK coverage for Cubic Telecom?

I opted for BT Telecom who use EE's infrastructure. I believe they still have by far the best 4G coverage. Having a BT landline meant the £25 p/m cost dropped to £20 for 20Gb data p/m.

Sorry - BT Mobile not BT Telecom

Skippy73
07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm glad I got the MY16 car now as I want to be able to have my own sim. To me 17.25 a mth on 12 mth contract for unlimited data is a no brainer. It does say you can use your allowance in over 18 countries. I'm going to look into that bit and see because if the data includes roaming aboard then I'm totally in.

Gyro
07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Hmmmm...so maybe the 3-year subscription with the "embedded SIM" DOES have unlimited data for the three years then? Does the MY17 not have a separate SIM slot then? Why don't salesmen have this info!?

Anyway, I was looking at unlimited data plans earlier, and be cautious with the unlimited data SIMs, some operators still cap the amount of data you can use whilst "tethering", I'm not sure if this applies to sticking your SIM in a car? For instance, check this from Three's website: PricePlan Details (http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/PricePlan_Details?content_aid=1400624204948)

"On our All-you-can-eat data plans, you can use up to 30GB of your data each month to create a Personal Hotspot within the UK."

Not sure what other operators' rules are...

Skippy73
07-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm...so maybe the 3-year subscription with the "embedded SIM" DOES have unlimited data for the three years then? Does the MY17 not have a separate SIM slot then? Why don't salesmen have this info!?

Anyway, I was looking at unlimited data plans earlier, and be cautious with the unlimited data SIMs, some operators still cap the amount of data you can use whilst "tethering", I'm not sure if this applies to sticking your SIM in a car? For instance, check this from Three's website: PricePlan Details (http://www.three.co.uk/_standalone/PricePlan_Details?content_aid=1400624204948)

"On our All-you-can-eat data plans, you can use up to 30GB of your data each month to create a Personal Hotspot within the UK."

Not sure what other operators' rules are...
Hi yes I saw this also. So this would apply only to the wifi hotspot. So the devices in the car. Basically it means the kids would have only 30Gb a mth. But general car data like goggle maps and traffic etc. Is not tethering. There is not another device linked to the car consuming data. Just like your phone you can browse the Web or use apps watch you tube what ever but if you tether you phones data to a laptop 30Gb limit would kick in. That's what it means and I'm happy with that. Means I will always have unlimited data for audi connect services but kids or wife using devices in the car would be 30Gb which I think for weekend trips and holidays is plenty.

I'm interested to find out if it includes abroad as it seems to indicate

Skippy73
07-06-2016, 08:43 PM
So it turns out the unlimited data plans are for phones only. They are not a broadband sim. Apparently they are different.

satyp
07-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Have used Three before on UNLIMITED data..

Unlimited Data for phone
Tethering is capped on the Three network to 4Gb or 6GB on unlimited data plan as if 2012 or slightly after..

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

satyp
07-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Or maybe 30GB now I stand corrected

Gyro
08-06-2016, 09:37 AM
OK, so I've just seen this in the small print at the back of the MY17 brochure. Basically the embedded SIM covers all of your Google maps etc. but it won't act as a hot spot. I thought it was to good to be true at the price! If you stick a SIM card in yourself, it will bypass the embedded SIM for Google maps etc.

If you just stick with the embedded SIM, then does the tethering default to your mobile phone? The wife and I both have 5GB per month data allowance...having said that, Skippy I reckon your plan is the best, plug in the unlimited data SIM and just forget about it. As you say, 30 GB should be enough for tethering, and you still have the unlimited portion to use for Google maps etc...

srbsq7
08-06-2016, 09:46 AM
OK, so I've just seen this in the small print at the back of the MY17 brochure. Basically the embedded SIM covers all of your Google maps etc. but it won't act as a hot spot. I thought it was to good to be true at the price! If you stick a SIM card in yourself, it will bypass the embedded SIM for Google maps etc.

If you just stick with the embedded SIM, then does the tethering default to your mobile phone? The wife and I both have 5GB per month data allowance...having said that, Skippy I reckon your plan is the best, plug in the unlimited data SIM and just forget about it. As you say, 30 GB should be enough for tethering, and you still have the unlimited portion to use for Google maps etc...

Just make sure you check 3G and 4G coverage for your area.

For me, it had to be EE based so went for BT mobile

andyhud007
08-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Just make sure you check 3G and 4G coverage for your area.

For me, it had to be EE based so went for BT mobile

Good find in the small print!!!

Interesting, so there is a SIM slot still for your own SIM Card as well as the "embedded Sim" which you clearly cant get at as its going to be locked away inside the dashboard somewhere

Cheeky that if you insert your own SIM its all diverted to that one...

The only thing I'd say is the small print doesnt clearly state whether Napster services (built into the MMI) will pull the music over the embedded system or a tethered device/own sim. I know mine pulls it over the sim card I have in the glove box for example. I wonder if that falls under "Audi Connect Infotainment Services"

satyp
08-06-2016, 11:27 AM
So anyone ever paid for the optional 36month subscription after the trial?.. I take that's what included in the tech pack.. I swear I've read it all before still can't stay on top of it..

srbsq7
08-06-2016, 11:27 AM
This is encouraging: "The deal with Audi will see Cubic leverage this existing partnership with EE to enable 4G in-car connectivity for Audi’s UK connected fleet, something which Barry Napier, CEO of Cubic Telecom described as ‘win-win’ for all three parties." At least the underlying provider is the one with the best 4G coverage.

It will be interesting to see what their data plans are like in comparison.

Gyro
08-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Good find in the small print!!!

Interesting, so there is a SIM slot still for your own SIM Card as well as the "embedded Sim" which you clearly cant get at as its going to be locked away inside the dashboard somewhere

Cheeky that if you insert your own SIM its all diverted to that one...

The only thing I'd say is the small print doesnt clearly state whether Napster services (built into the MMI) will pull the music over the embedded system or a tethered device/own sim. I know mine pulls it over the sim card I have in the glove box for example. I wonder if that falls under "Audi Connect Infotainment Services"

Good point. I will probably just rely on the Bluetooth streaming for music though...got it all downloaded and stored on my iPhone. The only issue I can think of personally is kids watching iPads. We don't do many long journeys so I'm hoping that the 5 GB allowance on our mobiles can sustain any YouTube watching etc. during short journeys. I'm with EE and the good thing about them is that you can't go over your data allowance, if it runs out you get a prompt to buy more. Might be better off relying on this rather than spending £20 or £30 per month on a SIM...

andyhud007
08-06-2016, 11:47 AM
So anyone ever paid for the optional 36month subscription after the trial?.. I take that's what included in the tech pack.. I swear I've read it all before still can't stay on top of it..

Not ever paid for it, but I have it as you say as part of "tech pack". My license in the MMI says expires in 2019 at some point

pitch3110
08-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Has anyone considered doing a Three contract data plan at the moment. We are all carefully monitoring our data usage and I currently have a pay as you go 90days/6Gb EE sim in my car. But I have noticed that Three are doing half price for first 6mths with unlimited data. So that's 11.50mth for 6mths then 23.00mth for last 6mths. Works out at 17.25mth. But for unlimited data it means I don't have to worry. I can let the kids happily watch Netflix or you tube on their Ipads etc without worry of the data usage.

Skip,

I just grabbed one of the EE 90 day/6GB SIM's today but online is not coming up on the centre screen although it showing bars and 3G. Did you stick the SIM in a tablet to get it going??

Ta
Pitch

srbsq7
08-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Skip,

I just grabbed one of the EE 90 day/6GB SIM's today but online is not coming up on the centre screen although it showing bars and 3G. Did you stick the SIM in a tablet to get it going??

Ta
Pitch

I had to activate my BT sim online first.

Is there anything in connection manager that pulls down the carrier settings?

satyp
08-06-2016, 06:22 PM
My Memory also doing this 12gb 12month (no expiry) SIM data only sims for 25 pounds currently for anyone needs a quick no fuss no expiring data for short holidays

3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Preloaded with 12GB of Data £24.99 - Free Delivery (http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Preloaded-with-12GB-of-Data)

pitch3110
08-06-2016, 07:36 PM
I had to activate my BT sim online first.

Is there anything in connection manager that pulls down the carrier settings?

It seems to have all the correct APN settings and seems to finding the network but ONLINE is not showing up just the TRPRO or whatever it is.

May just take a few hours to kick itself in.

Ta
Pitch

pitch3110
08-06-2016, 07:38 PM
My Memory also doing this 12gb 12month (no expiry) SIM data only sims for 25 pounds currently for anyone needs a quick no fuss no expiring data for short holidays

3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Preloaded with 12GB of Data £24.99 - Free Delivery (http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Preloaded-with-12GB-of-Data)

Thanks for this. Is this working in your Q7??

Pitch

srbsq7
08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Pitch,

Can we start a sweepstake on how long your 90 day 6gb SIM will last?

I'll go for 72 hours. [emoji12]

satyp
08-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for this. Is this working in your Q7??

Pitch
Hi Pitch

The SIM was ready to go out of the 📦 box.. plug and play on tablet etc.. Unfortunately waiting on my my new Q7 still another month appx..

Are you having issue with general SIM card data “access” itself or it does it just not 👎 work in the Audi SIM module? Guess you've already tried it in the phone..

On the old q7 it was just a matter of selecting the correct SIM profile. .. Sorry unfortunately can't help on new q7 as no hands on :-0

pitch3110
08-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Pitch,

Can we start a sweepstake on how long your 90 day 6gb SIM will last?

I'll go for 72 hours. [emoji12]

Lov it, If I get 72 hours on the bounce I will be made up ������

i have ordered the 3 above also so that should hopefully see me through to Saturday week at a push with 18 big ones FFS.

Pitch

pitch3110
08-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Hi Pitch

The SIM was ready to go out of the  box.. plug and play on tablet etc.. Unfortunately waiting on my my new Q7 still another month appx..

Are you having issue with general SIM card data “access” itself or it does it just not  work in the Audi SIM module? Guess you've already tried it in the phone..

On the old q7 it was just a matter of selecting the correct SIM profile. .. Sorry unfortunately can't help on new q7 as no hands on :-0

I fear it may just not work in the Q7 but let's see what Skip says and if his is cooler the Kool and the Gang.

I have ordered the 3 also so will see if it's any good.

Cheers

pitch

pitch3110
11-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Well a few days in with the 4GEE LTE SIM and all is good.

I Have stopped the Audi apps on 6S still using Google Earth mapping on VC + using connect and only use 50ish MB.

So so all in all pretty happy and boy is the EE LTE quick when using connect.

Ta
Pitch

Skippy73
12-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Well a few days in with the 4GEE LTE SIM and all is good.

I Have stopped the Audi apps on 6S still using Google Earth mapping on VC + using connect and only use 50ish MB.

So so all in all pretty happy and boy is the EE LTE quick when using connect.

Ta
Pitch

I have just read a few recent messages on this thread and some how missed them all. He tread on this topic got split a little also being discussed on the 4M find topic post, apologies.

So did you get the 6Gb for 90 days PAYG EE in the end Pitch? Not bad for £13 or so. But I found once you use that up the top up cost is not as good. So you won't be able to top up with another 6gb for 90 days.

I'm just using mine up and as stated on the 4M finds tread I will buy the 30day rolling EE 16Gb £22mth contract. Plus it's double speed 4G even of that of the EE 4G PATG.

At least the 6Gb should give you a solid 2 months to more accurately calculate your usage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pitch3110
12-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Hi Skip.

Yes the "finds" thread did go a bit OT hence why I posted back up on here but regardless of where this is being discussed all info is very useful to folk I am sure.

Yes, quite right, I have an O2 data 1GB plan which has been fine for many years now until DataGate during the last BH weekend. I thought I would purchase the 4GEE PAYG so I could have a real play of what was going on and indeed things do seem to have settled down. You assisted greatly with the setting up of this and in the interim I also purchase the 3 PAYG data SIM which will be with me shortly to try.

So, in conclusion data usage is now minimal with maps and connect and I will switch apps back on next week to see what happens.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Ta
Pitch

pitch3110
07-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Well my EE LTE SIM is over a month old and still going strong and using buggar all data. I am running GE all the time using connect and using nothing. So, what the hell was going on a month ago????

I also purchased the 12GB 3G card which okay lasts a year, my O2 SIM which I have also used in the past two Audi's and with the EE its Data city......

If anyone is in Suffolk and wants to hook up to nick some wifi let me know.

All good with everyone else???

Ta
Pitch

srbsq7
07-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Well my EE LTE SIM is over a month old and still going strong and using buggar all data. I am running GE all the time using connect and using nothing. So, what the hell was going on a month ago????

I also purchased the 12GB 3G card which okay lasts a year, my O2 SIM which I have also used in the past two Audi's and with the EE its Data city......

If anyone is in Suffolk and wants to hook up to nick some wifi let me know.

All good with everyone else???

Ta
Pitch

I thought 16GB p/m would be more than enough. Appears it is....just!

Nemo78
07-07-2016, 11:32 PM
I thought 16GB p/m would be more than enough. Appears it is....just!

There's something strange going on...I'm fairly convinced it's Google Maps reason being (could just be my car...with the sort of luck I've been having...) when data sim is in and full of data the google maps work fine.

As soon as data has expired I get nothing but standard maps. Now I thought the Google maps were cached / they defo are in the A6 so for me my data usage is hammered when Google maps are being used.

Well that's my theory so far...[emoji23]

srbsq7
07-07-2016, 11:38 PM
I do have google maps on a lot. Also did an over the air map update which in total was about 1gb. Still a lot of data.

Q7newbie
08-07-2016, 05:56 PM
There's something strange going on...I'm fairly convinced it's Google Maps reason being (could just be my car...with the sort of luck I've been having...) when data sim is in and full of data the google maps work fine.

As soon as data has expired I get nothing but standard maps. Now I thought the Google maps were cached / they defo are in the A6 so for me my data usage is hammered when Google maps are being used.

Google Earth does cache, but it's only caches the basic over layer, ie at minimum zoom. When you use it for actual navigation, it doesn't seem to change the actual entire route data. Which is stupid really, as that means, you will have to in theory download the map and route data of the same route every time you use that navigation route. I'm sure there's some advantage to this for MMI performance as it keeps the RAM and cache less cluttered, but it does little for data useage.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Skippy73
08-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Wow 16GB that is full on, we're kids streaming Netflix or something as part of that?

srbsq7
08-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Not really!