PDA

View Full Version : SE Business Estate (15 Plate) - Radio Reception Issues

Mike Kearns
31-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Hi all,

I have recently bought a used (15 plate) SE Business Estate and have some issues with poor radio reception. The unit is a Discover Nav (Gen 2).

DAB reception is very hit and miss and drops out regularly.
AM picks up nothing whatsoever.
FM picks up 2 or 3 stations, quite poorly, if you manually set it to the correct frequency. If you use the scan feature it finds none whatsoever.

Has anybody else experienced the same/similar issues or could suggest some potential solutions to the problem.

Many thanks,

Mike

technik
31-05-2016, 11:18 PM
No problems like that with mine. :-(

itavaltalainen
01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Not normal (although I rarely use radio in my mk7 Golf with MIB1 discover media), unless you live in the sticks but guess you have comparison with another car?

I would take it back to dealer and ask them to fix. Don't let them fob you off with "there's nothing in the fault memory".

Mike Kearns
01-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Thanks folks.Yes, wife's car is my comparison. She has no radio reception issues so coverage isn't the problem. Going to ring the dealer tomorrow.

maurajames
11-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Hi
How did you get on. I have answered a couple of other threads over my find. I said the same in those replies. What I am going to say sound stupid but I tracked my terrible reception down to a poor 12v to USB charger thing. I must of got a cheap one with 2 outputs. And as soon as I get in my car I plug in my IPhone. And it took ages to track this down. But as soon as I unplugged it the signal came back. I put in my old charging usb and all back to normal.
This sounds crazy. But I promise it was my problem. I do loads of miles and my reception even of Bbc radio went to nothing.
Pass the word on
James

Mike Kearns
11-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Hi James,

The problem actually turned out to be far more sinister. Both rear windows on either side had been replaced incorrectly at some point in the cars life, after being smashed (there was still broken glass in the beading). The aerials are in the windows (FM/DAB on the offside AM in the nearside) and the terminals hadn't been connected again when the glass was replaced.

As it gave me major concerns over the history of the vehicle I complained to the dealership and they took it back.

I replaced it for the same model, but a plate newer. Fortunately I have had no issues whatsoever with this one.

Kind regards,

Mike