PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 tyres - 2015 3.0 TDI Sport

RogerRamJet
31-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm sure the question about tyres must have been posted before, but I'm new to the forum, so apologies. I have an April 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI S-Line Sport which came with manufacturers recommended Pirelli P Zeros (295/35 R21 107 Y). I've recently clocked 10k miles and Audi have informed me, after 1st service, the wear on the rears is near the legal limit. I haven't pushed the tyres at all, so am surprised by the amount of wear. Audi also informed me the drive ratio on the car is 80% rear to 20% front, which is why the rears have worn so much more then the front tyres, whcih still have 4mm of tread. Can anyone recommend any longer lasting, more durable, and yet high performance tyres as replacement. To be honest Audi Crawley have been no use at all. The car drifts to the left, which suggest the alignment is out and which they checked and confirmed as so on 1st service, and yet they want to charge me an arm and leg to put it right, but won't do it until the tyres are changed. This isn't something I would expect on a car which is only 13 months old with no noticeable potholes hit in the past year. I used to own a 2012 X5 and had no such problems with wear at such an early stage. Any sensible suggestions are welcome.

satyp
31-05-2016, 09:39 PM
I think this an ongoing Audi issue esp with pulling to the left..

I'm probably also not helping by saying, I had the exact same issue on a MK1, and frankly was hoping this doesn't repeat itself with new one.. ;-( Which I'm still waiting for now on a locked build in June..

I have posted on here somewhere else that most manufacturer approved tyres are made softer rubber to meet various test and claims..

I have found Michelin lasted a lot better than other AO tyres such as goodyear (for sure) not entirely sure of Bridgestones..

The issue you will next face with Audi is they will bang on about any “new tyres” on the Audi not being AO if you continue to have a pulling issue in the new tyres if you go with makes that are not AO approved.. From what I gather Audi currently have “aligence” with either Pirelli Goodyear and Bridgestone depending on what Audi model it is from factory.

They will pull out every line to exempt themselves from any warraty issue if you decide to put non AO tyres which are perfectly fine in IMHO.. I found the Michelin to last at least 8 months longer on the same driving conditions... But they weren't so called AO .. As Mercedes and Porsche use them on the same. MLB car.

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

srbsq7
31-05-2016, 09:49 PM
I think it's going to be a hard one to prove either way but certainly doesn't sound right for the age and mileage. Have you spoken to the dealer / group manager? Even splitting the bill would seem reasonable - assume you're staring at a £700-£800 bill?

Thakey17
31-05-2016, 10:35 PM
How much tread was left on the rears? I recently put my A6 in for it's 20,000 service and received a call saying all tyres were worn and near illegal. As I'm chopping it in soon for my Q7 I was reluctant to spend any money on the car. I knew the fronts were close but the rears had loads left. It was a FWD car. I questioned how a FWD car can have equal wear all round. I told them not to touch it until I came over to view them.

It was an absolute joke that they were trying to palm me off with nearly £800 worth of tyres all round. Had I not have been more car savy then they could have had me. The service manager's stance and apology was based on an over exaggeration from the girl on the desk. I wonder if it's a thing they are advised to say on all cars that have tyres anywhere near 3mm.

Have you seen the tyres or is the car still in.

Q7newbie
01-06-2016, 01:55 AM
I'm sure the question about tyres must have been posted before, but I'm new to the forum, so apologies. I have an April 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI S-Line Sport which came with manufacturers recommended Pirelli P Zeros (295/35 R21 107 Y). I've recently clocked 10k miles and Audi have informed me, after 1st service, the wear on the rears is near the legal limit. I haven't pushed the tyres at all, so am surprised by the amount of wear. Audi also informed me the drive ratio on the car is 80% rear to 20% front, which is why the rears have worn so much more then the front tyres, whcih still have 4mm of tread. Can anyone recommend any longer lasting, more durable, and yet high performance tyres as replacement. To be honest Audi Crawley have been no use at all. The car drifts to the left, which suggest the alignment is out and which they checked and confirmed as so on 1st service, and yet they want to charge me an arm and leg to put it right, but won't do it until the tyres are changed. This isn't something I would expect on a car which is only 13 months old with no noticeable potholes hit in the past year. I used to own a 2012 X5 and had no such problems with wear at such an early stage. Any sensible suggestions are welcome.
The 4L Q7 DESTROYS tyres. You're lucky you even got 10k off your Pirelli's. I averaged 6k per set. As for the tracking/wheel alignment issue, just call Audi and tell them about it. They'll sort it and get your tracking seen to for free. Your Audi dealer will save face by saying it is a "once off, jesters of good will". They've done this for alot of Q7 owners whose cars developed this fault. Likewise, you should push for free tyres or at least 50% off on your purchase.

As for your question as to what alternative brand you can go with that'll last longer. I and a few other guys on here who had/have the 4L Q7 agreed that Nankang AS1's are one of the best choices for price, durability and product quality.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

dghdgh
01-06-2016, 08:26 AM
I am far from defending Audi or challenging you on your driving history.
One of the major problems we all face in this day and age is the decay of the road surface and artificial road obstacles we drive over every day. Accepting we are talking about a vehicle which is claimed to have 4x4 off-road capability, speed humps put the cars geometry under stress every day. You say you have not hit a pothole, I am not sure where you are driving as we have on every road I have driven on including ruts on motorways. You can quite often drive over them, or in them, without noticing and the car will compensate with the suspension taking out the shock waves, remember some potholes are quite minor others like valleys.

All in all the marque has a history of geometry weakness and this should be emphasised to the dealer, if nothing else to get the geometry re-aligned. They're quite right in wanting the tyres changed before re-alignment as the car will be sat on the ground for toe and heel adjustment. If the car is not sat on a flat surface any re-alignment will be flawed, the worn tyres will make it unbalanced unless the wear on all tyres is identical.

As for tyres remember the rubber on the wheels is the only thing in contact with the road surface at speeds, well we will say unto 70mph. Wear durability is important and I applaud you in asking for quality tyre recommendations but grip should be your number one factor followed by durability. Its no good putting really hard wearing boots on if you slide all over the place and more importantly takes you longer to stop. The equation is not simple but if you look at some true review sites, use several as like manufactures these sites can sometimes have a conflict of interests. Don't shy away from some of the up and coming manufactures, but please please remember the Q7 is not a light vehicle some power to weight ratios also impact in an eaxpedentual curve on tyre wear and ask yourself would you go for the longest lasting break pads over the one that would stop you in the shortest distance.

I accept I have given you no answers but I hope I have added to your though processing I apologise if I have worded my post in a less than subtle tone.