PDA

View Full Version : Google maps Gone :(

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Traveling up to York to see big son and family and Google maps have ceased working.

SIM still in the dash and showing full bars and selected in the menu.

Help please me tech gurus.

Ta
Pitch

Skippy73
28-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Why use Google maps when you have google earth built in to Audi.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 06:17 PM
I mean earth......

anemeth
28-05-2016, 06:20 PM
I would try to reset MMI. I think the reset is in the Menu, but if you cannot find, here is 3 button reset:

"You can reboot the MMI by holding NAV/MAP and RADIO together and then pressing the MMI knob"

srbsq7
28-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Traveling up to York to see big son and family and Google maps have ceased working.

SIM still in the dash and showing full bars and selected in the menu.

Help please me tech gurus.

Ta
Pitch

I did have mine default back to standard map once. I can't remember the exact menu option but it's probably the right menu button when you're viewing the map.

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Cheers chaps.

It it could be monthly 1gb data gone although it has been fine for the last 4 years in BE A5 coupe and A6 with Google Earth. Strange.......

i will reset though.

ta
Pitch

Thakey17
28-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Strange. My current A6 still shows Google Earth images on the nav even though I no longer have a data sim in the car. I just assumed it only needed the sim to update images and worked from saved data.

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Could it be Audi connect un subscribed??

srbsq7
28-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Could it be Audi connect un subscribed??

Can you access anything else online e.g train times, news etc

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Will try but earlier I kicked the 6S onto airplane connected via wifi to car and no joy in surfing. Points to the SIM being out of data which is strange.

The roads are there but just a dark background.

dghdgh
28-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Put your lights on, sorry!

srbsq7
28-05-2016, 09:30 PM
I think in a menu of settings you can find SIM data usage stats. I was surprised my kids had done 512mb in one day!

I looked at monthly deals and it was either 2gb or 20gb p/m for and extra £5 so went with that fortunately

pitch3110
28-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Put your lights on, sorry!

Lov it........

andyhud007
29-05-2016, 09:25 AM
It could be your data allowance on your SIM. On nav screen check bottom right hand corner. If it says 'online' for traffic then data is good. If it says TMCpro then data has stopped and it's dropped back to tmc for traffic which comes in over GPS.

Also try launching audi connect. If you don't see a news article or Weather then your data maxed out. If you do then your OK. Same if you search for a special destination, if it times out your data is maxed out.

Note: Audi Connect services are separate to Google maps in Nav. They are not linked in any way other than they both use data.

pitch3110
29-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Spot on Andy and twigged yesterday afternoon that TMCpro had popped up.

Just spoke with our provider and one of our data SIMs was showing high usage and yes it was the one in question.

As I mentioned earlier I have had no issues over the past four years and that is with using Google Earth, connect and only one left at home sitting in the back using wifi + in between cars that SIM sat in the draw for 10 days so the Q7 has the potential to eat data for some reason could it be dual displays.?

many thanks again chaps for your input, even dghdgh...........

ta
Pitch

Skippy73
29-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Spot on Andy and twigged yesterday afternoon that TMCpro had popped up.

Just spoke with our provider and one of our data SIMs was showing high usage and yes it was the one in question.

As I mentioned earlier I have had no issues over the past four years and that is with using Google Earth, connect and only one left at home sitting in the back using wifi + in between cars that SIM sat in the draw for 10 days so the Q7 has the potential to eat data for some reason could it be dual displays.?

many thanks again chaps for your input, even dghdgh...........

ta
Pitch

Pitch,

I am amazed if you have used 1gb data in 2 weeks? You got your car only a few days before mine? Or did I miss something?

I have allowed 2gb per month. Not checked my usage to date yet I have pre paid EE sim so will set the app up and check it.

You Have not told the kids your cars wifi hotspot code have you and they might of steamed you tube or something off the car??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skippy73
29-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Ok so I went for a quick run into town this morning and after Pitches post I was concerned how my data usage was going. To my astonishment I have used 778mb heading for 1gb in less than a week. LESS THAN 1 WEEK. so what is it that is using the data.

So firstly google earth is only small data usage. I had google earth before in my A7 and never used much data either.

Online traffic again should be very small packets of data that I am aware of.

None of the kids ipads have wifi access to the cars hotspot so our 1.15hr trip each way to Chessington yesterday was not the cause.

BUT my phone does have access the cars wifi and the audi connect app. And I connect the phone to the car by USB and Android Auto all the time. Is that what is using the data I wonder?

So my quick trip this morning I left my phone at home and the data usage remained the same interestingly.

Hmmm some tests from everyone I think is needed. I have allowed 2gb a month and at this rate that is not going to last.

srbsq7
29-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Could be the phone as apps are often less bandwidth intensive when on mobile data compared to wifi. As phone thinks it's connect to wifi, it will think it's unrestricted.

A good example is I have MS Office on my iPhone and each office app is c.500mb. If MIcrosoft updates the apps and phone is set to update when on wifi, you'd do your 2GB in 15 minutes!

You can change this but it would apply to all wifi networks and you'd then have to update manually.

Skippy73
29-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Could be the phone as apps are often less bandwidth intensive when on mobile data compared to wifi. As phone thinks it's connect to wifi, it will think it's unrestricted.

A good example is I have MS Office on my iPhone and each office app is c.500mb. If MIcrosoft updates the apps and phone is set to update when on wifi, you'd do your 2GB in 15 minutes!

You can change this but it would apply to all wifi networks and you'd then have to update manually.
Yes I think your right mate.

I have lots of setting selected like to only update apps when connected to wifi etc or what's app will only download photos and videos people send me when I'm on wifi or select manually.

Think I will play around with the phone and change some setting.

I was really shocked that in 4 days to use that much.

pitch3110
29-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Well I think my thread starter has provoked much needed debate and thoughts although I am sure someone would have flagged up sooner or later.

My data bolt on has kicked in and pleased to say Google Earth is up and running again.

The way forward needs some thoughts but I still am unsure why this is happening in the Q7 and not in the previous two Audis which both had the top end Tech Packs with Google Earth, connect etc .....

ta
Pitch

Skippy73
29-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Well I think my thread starter has provoked much needed debate and thoughts although I am sure someone would have flagged up sooner or later.

My data bolt on has kicked in and pleased to say Google Earth is up and running again.

The way forward needs some thoughts but I still am unsure why this is happening in the Q7 and not in the previous two Audis which both had the top end Tech Packs with Google Earth, connect etc .....

ta
Pitch
I have to say I spent 30 mins reviewing my phone setting and not a lot of data had been used to be honest.

In fact andriod auto had used no data at all and audi connect had only used 10mb.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/f59baf8230a056d289394353a90d5181.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/40aa90dba448536b577c95ae0ac9c288.jpg

So I'm not convinced it's the phone. Maybe high definition google earth and the online traffic.

Not sure