PDA

View Full Version : (Non) variable boot floor - GT spec. estate

gamichea
28-05-2016, 11:13 AM
I found no caveats in the brochure or price list before I ordered and can find none in the handbook now but it seems GT trim means the the boot floor cannot be set to the lower level neither just the front section nor the whole thing. The path to the lower level for the front section is blocked on both sides of the boot by small plastic blocks and the full size spare wheel (a non-negotiable must have for me) sits just a little too high for the rear section to sit at the low level. What really annoys me is that had the polystyrene moulding that holds the tools around the spare wheel well been designed a little differently the front section could be lowered and I may yet deal with that if I can find how to remove the plastic blocks. It is also annoying to be deprived of the full functionality. Why shouldn't we have the choice of removing the spare wheel and tool kit to cope with exceptional requirements?

Anyone with a GT estate found a solution to any of this?

I noticed the test drive SEB had the front section only set low to accommodate the tool kit sitting in a different polystyrene moulding atop the space saver. Removing the tool kit presumably allows a full length lowered boot floor?

150GT Passat
29-05-2016, 07:03 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks back when I tried to lower the boot floor to give more room for my greyhound when she's in there.
In the end, I removed the tools from their casing and threw the casing in the garage, the tools in one of the side storage areas wrapped up in a tea towel, and prised off the plastic bits to allow the whole floor to be lowered.
Have to say I was rather disappointed with the whole design. This, along with several other issues (which I have mentioned in other threads) make me wish I had chosen another Octavia instead of this Passat.

gamichea
29-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all that 150GT. Its good to know it can be done. How did you prise off the plastic bits? Insert a screwdriver and twist?

I think the current Skodas are fine cars but Skoda's unwillingness to make provision for a full size spare means they have ruled themselves out of contention as far as I am concerned. Cans of gunk, space savers and nothing at all in conjunction with run flats are all absolute no-nos for me. And for a few people I know since they lifted the boot floor of their car for the first time to deal with a flat and found themselves short changed.

So far this and too many buttons on the steering wheel (I prefer the cruise control stalk found on my previous Passats) are the only issues I have and they are easily outweighed by the positives, especially the 190 engine, the ACC and the DSG 'box.

YawnGumbo
02-06-2016, 06:02 PM
I have the SEB Estate with space saver and even with the toolkit in place I can have the variable boot floor on the lowest setting both front and back. Could the issue you're seeing be an impact of having the full sized spare...? Perhaps they put the plastic bits in place to prevent you lowering only one side and thus maybe breaking the boot floor bit?

gamichea
02-06-2016, 10:00 PM
I have the SEB Estate with space saver and even with the toolkit in place I can have the variable boot floor on the lowest setting both front and back. Could the issue you're seeing be an impact of having the full sized spare...? Perhaps they put the plastic bits in place to prevent you lowering only one side and thus maybe breaking the boot floor bit?

Yes, the full sized spare is at the root of it, I'm sure, and the toolkit moulding is fractionally higher than the spare. The plastic blocks are easily removed, insert a finger from below and lift upwards and outwards and out they come and will easily go back properly. The floor front is now willing to go lower as described in the handbook but not useably as it fouls on the front of the toolkit moulding as expected. I intend to cut off the offending few inches and rehouse any displaced tools. The rear floor should then rest on the toolkit moulding on the left and I'll put in a wood batten at the same height to support on the right. Not sure that's entirely necessary because at the top height the boot floor does not get much support which suggests its got plenty of strength and the risk of breakage is very low.

gamichea
07-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Job done. Took off about 13.5-14cm of the front end of the toolkit moulding using a tenon saw then worked a chamfer of the new top edge with a coarse rasp sufficient for the front section of the floor to take the lower route. The rear section rests on the toolkit moulding on the left and a 38mm square wood batten on the right.

The only tool I could not rehouse somewhere in the toolkit moulding is the jack handle which I have placed in the narrow space to the left of the toolkit moulding in company with my torque wrench.