PDA

View Full Version : Lap Timer - Q7

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,

So after some tinkering with the laptop I've got lap time active on the virtual cockpit and HUD.

Here are some pics. It works well and usually this is hidden but enabled on S versions of the car like the Sq7 in our case.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/6f3b2807952ae13eb192a701a374c3e4.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/b2e00d36594d93c3119c8557b6e3c950.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/5556479fe6d2ad5e574291eca832b919.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/e2d4a14b06418c828f112a2b754f864e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/49283cf9e452d1af7278a1e9860f7500.jpg

Any questions let me know.

Andy

Thakey17
27-05-2016, 02:28 PM
That's the first time I've seen your car out of Economy Mode....... Ha ha.

How on earth do you find these things out???? Good work Andy. It's great that it also works on the HUD. Not sure if we'll ever chuck our one round Brands Hatch when we get it, but good to know it's there.

Nemo78
27-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Awesome stuff Andy....need to get a meet sorted for you to activate all these on my car [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JMB7
27-05-2016, 04:39 PM
I'd like to be at that meet too so you can mod mine also!
Is the temperature display in the hud a separate mod? And is the lap timer easily toggled on and off from the hud display?
Nice work.

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Oil temp and gear selection appear in HUD automatically when lap. Timer is enabled in the vc. It's not a separate mod. Toggle lap timer with left right buttons on left side of steering wheel

JMB7
27-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Cheers,
Do you have a list of the mods you have been successful with? I remember reading a couple of posts a while back with other mods but can't seem to find them searching on my phone.
Tempted to invest in vcds/vcp. Also wondering if the cheaper obdeleven system is capable of any of these.

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 05:01 PM
So far this car is a hard nut to crack. Its not like the old v1 MLB, its based on v2 MLBevo which is basically an entirely new system. I have both VCDS and VCP (genuine leads) and I have used them for many years so have no experience with ODBeleven

When I had my A5 I went to a meet somewhere in the middle of the UK and I think I must have coded about 30 cars with tweaks. I love it, so I'm happy to do the same for us Q7 folk.

So far all I have done is Needle Sweep on the VC, The lap timer stuff and Disable the annoying seat belt chime. They work because they are based on MLB v1 coding. I'm currently deciphering the coding for MLBevo and its taking longer than expected with new security codes to get past etc.

p.s You need HEX-NET interface for the new Q7. Hex-CAN-USB doesnt cut it anymore. A great friend, but its time to move to the side has come. :(

dghdgh
27-05-2016, 06:26 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but rather than one or two people taking on the burden of the cost of the hex-net etc. Why not have 3 or 4 experts (4 Andys) around the country and we all chuck in a few quid to cover the cost. That way we will all have access to the mods on a geographical basis and people with the motivation are not bearing the cost.
Is that like forming a Club.
I am a bit daft at times I know.:confused:

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 06:48 PM
You know that aint half a bad idea and I definitely think its something to look into.

However right now a couple of things to consider

The Hex-Net from Ross-Tech is only available from US, there are no UK importers of it (that I know of yet). FedEx stumped me £80 customs charge
Until we crack the system there is no point purchasing them but I would not stop anyone from doing so. Its not a matter of "if", its just a matter of "when"

Short term, a meet somewhere (faces to names always help) and I can bring my kit with me. It sounds pretty nerdy, but it works.

dghdgh
27-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Bugger I ve just come back from states, I was there for just under 7 weeks.:zx11:

Nemo78
27-05-2016, 08:07 PM
You know that aint half a bad idea and I definitely think its something to look into.

However right now a couple of things to consider

The Hex-Net from Ross-Tech is only available from US, there are no UK importers of it (that I know of yet). FedEx stumped me £80 customs charge
Until we crack the system there is no point purchasing them but I would not stop anyone from doing so. Its not a matter of "if", its just a matter of "when"

Short term, a meet somewhere (faces to names always help) and I can bring my kit with me. It sounds pretty nerdy, but it works.

Andy - send me the link of what's needed...I maybe able to get a cousin is there at the moment...

However a meet is definitely required...

wolek76
27-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I am almost 100% sure that obdeleven device is capabe of doing that too.
Just need Andy to give us some instructions.
Then I will happily do the video of how to enable this in my sline Q7.
Wife's going away with kids so will have some peace and quiet for a few days :D

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Andy - send me the link of what's needed...I maybe able to get a cousin is there at the moment...

However a meet is definitely required...
Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with HEX-NET Pro (WiFi/USB) Unlimited VINs (All VAG) (http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHN.html)

This is the unlimited Vin version (which I have) which means you can code unlimited cars. The other is a 10 Vin limit which means you can only code upto 10 vehicles.

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I am almost 100% sure that obdeleven device is capabe of doing that too.
Just need Andy to give us some instructions.
Then I will happily do the video of how to enable this in my sline Q7.
Wife's going away with kids so will have some peace and quiet for a few days :D
Wolek. Give it a try. You need to access module 17.

Instruments 17
Coding 07
Long coding
Byte 1
Bit 3 activate/check
Save

I would expect this should work because it's based on coding from older cars. It's the new coding that could be more of a concern... Time will tell.

wolek76
27-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks Andy.
Tomorrow morning will give it a go.

wolek76
28-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Well hello again :)
Andy, I think you might be investing in another device :approve:
It worked on my device.
What's more it shows some more interesting options (which VCDS/VAG-COM don't show if I remember correctly)
I haven't played with it due to lack of time but now the wife and kids are away, the play time is now :D
Enough of talking...
Have a look at the videos
1st - procedure on OBDeleven
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=156AB99E52E1D976!2198&authkey=!AJEnQ_qdyiXthf4&ithint=video%2cmp4)
2nd - result
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=156AB99E52E1D976!2197&authkey=!AGsAhKdW_3vkyRQ&ithint=video%2cmp4)
you'll see that I've made a mistake at first (doing the wrong Byte) but thankfully the car didn't accept it so no harm done :)
I also tried to enable dual speedo (KPH/MPH I think) but that didn't seem to stick, although I haven't driven it yet so will see later in the day...
have fun guys

andyhud007
28-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Wolek. That is great news! I'm pleased it works. That should help the guys out too for coding!

Can you do me a favour? Can your device access module 13 - auto distance reg.? If so does it support security code access and if it does can you see if security code 14117 works and gets accepted?

Cheers!

wolek76
28-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Can do.
Just tell me what it supposed to achieve?

andyhud007
28-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Can do.
Just tell me what it supposed to achieve?
A lot of the coding for mlbevo is locked behind the security access. I can't see what could be available under adaption without getting past the security codes. If we can do that we can pull a full export out of the module so we can see what could be modified to our advantage.

wolek76
28-05-2016, 10:43 AM
A lot of the coding for mlbevo is locked behind the security access. I can't see what could be available under adaption without getting past the security codes. If we can do that we can pull a full export out of the module so we can see what could be modified to our advantage.

Ok. So just a stab in the dark then, right?

I'll go and see what can be achieved (will try to record aswell).
Give me 30 mins

Breakfast first :)

andyhud007
28-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Yep. Nothing more than info gathering. If we can get through the doors we can see what's behind them. Cheers Wolek!

wolek76
28-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Bad news Andy.
According to the device the module 13 is for Adaptive Cruise Control. Sadly, my car doesn't have that installed hence the device does not pick it up.
I tried forcing it to do so but it shows 'lack of communication with the module' (probably because it is not there :)
Sorry mate.

andyhud007
28-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Wolek. No worries sorry I assumed you had it installed. If the module physically isn't on the CAN gateway you can't access it. We will keep trying!

Does the software allow you to do a full export of your modules in your car? That would be handy if you could send it to me. Pm if you prefer. I can then interrogate it and compare against mine.

Thanks

Andy

wolek76
29-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Been playing with OBDeleven device again...
here is the result :
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=156AB99E52E1D976!2199&authkey=!AAueQUfsrcevIRM&ithint=video%2cmp4)

Unfortunately I cannot give you the right bits and bytes to enable it. The app only shows options to enable/disable certain things.

As for the software dump, I could not see the option of doing so in the app. So dont think I can help with that yet.

andyhud007
29-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the update wolek. That's really interesting. Can I ask what within the tool it is 'enabling'? I can look via vcp to perhaps see what is being changed... Good find!!!

wolek76
29-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Little update.
Unfortunately the new screens show up but do not work. They're all showing zeros. Now, whether it's enablind something else or perhaps I haven't got a module that would feed that data? Andy might know?
I'm out of the house now but what I can do later is take screenshot of my longcoding screens and by comparing these with yours (Andy) perhaps you might work out the right bits and bytes to enable?
Stay tuned.... :)

andyhud007
29-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Wolek yes. If you can share your long coding and if you can disable the options so we can compare your long coding before you enable it and after I can then look to see what is actually being changed and what codes are linked.

Exciting stuff. Thanks mate!

wolek76
29-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Right. Here are the screenshots of my existing coding of the module 17 coding. Pics also show the 'other way' of enabling things in it. I am going out tonight so dont have time to enable/disable things for you Andy. But I think that you should be able to compare my HEX bytes against yours and then be able to work it out.
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. (https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=156AB99E52E1D976!2200&authkey=!ADcDrAN1B7YPZ4E&ithint=folder%2cpng)

Have fun fiddling :)