PDA

View Full Version : The new Q7 smartphone interface

Skippy73
26-05-2016, 08:59 PM
So not sure who has the smartphone interface but I think some recent Q7 arrivals might do.

So I thought I would write how I have found the smartphone interface running Android Auto for my S7 Edge.

Well I am basically very happy with it so far. I leave it on the MMI screen and use the VC for navigation if I need to. It all works exactly as I hoped it would my car is a recognised wifi hotshot by my phone so as soon as the car is on the phone connects via wifi meaning any streaming I do from my phone through Android Auto won't use the phones data but the cars data instead.

I have no intention of using Google maps on Android Auto (AA) and I don't see why anyone would as the cars Google earth is far superior. So for me the AA options I was after was my ipod equivalent music control as I have all my music stored on my phone. I also wanted to use tunin radio app to listen to radio stations world wide. Particularly Australian radio that let's me reminis of home. I also want to have messaging apps including what's app to notify me of messages so I will no longer be tempted to look at my phone while driving.

Well the first image is what you get when you are first connected.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/826363eedc24c6f949c454d606cfb2a8.jpg

You can see in the image it gives you a bit of info of places it has noticed you like to go. The more I use the car the more the info will sharpen amd become relevant. Bit of weather info aswell. All great. If I have been listening to music it will have info recommending to resume where inlet off with info of last song and cover art.

Navigating around the UI is good via the MMI control knob and turning onto music is easy. I kept worrying watching you tube videos as they only demonstrate Spotify all the time and online streaming and I was concerned all my music on the phone could not be played like days of old using an Ipod. But its all good except you can only select playlists,recent played mixes etc. You cant choose artist or songs individually like you can an ipod.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/7c782607aafa05ade721dfc42dde26bc.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/1caf25c0b0d89af17c68357f746e2e41.jpg
At first I was guttered but I discovered how good OK Google (SIRI) is integrated into the car. A quick press of the voice command button on the steering wheel gives you standard Audi VR options. But a longer press gives you full OK Google from the phone. It's brilliant quick and sharp. I've never liked voice commands to much I always end up just using control wheels. But this is brilliant. Just say to ok google "play rock playlist" or "play fleetwood mac" and it does it instantly. So fast and enjoyable. Today I sent a message to my wife. OK goggle on my phone knows who my wife is, so in the car I just so message my wife, Google asks what I want to say and boom it's sent and the accuracy so far is first rate. Messages that come in weather what's app or standard text can be read out easily. It's all very intuitive.

The next other plan I had for AA was also successful using tunein radio app that is an approved app for both AA and Carplay. Straight on and in no time I have my Australian radio stations on in the car. While it's the phone providing the UI to the car, the phone is connected to the cars WIFI so you 2 aerials on the roof are maintain the best possible connection with no cut-out. Even the artwork of the Australian radio stations are displayed.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/bd2454e12a58743466d37e8a167f2e2a.jpg

And I can flick through my favourite radio stations as easy as the cars own DAB.

Another thing is while listening to my music or online radio at any time I can swap into the cars MMI menu, navigation or other function WITHOUT LOSS. AA will keep working no differently.

Also the speed camera warning we have all just put into our cars also works in Android Auto. So you can get all your standard notifications still.

So lastly the telephone in AA against the Telephone in MMI. Great news is I can use either at any time. If I have not turned AA on and maybe listening to standard DAB or something the telephone is great. Display full contact directory profile photos of who is on the phone or calling you. If I am in AA it's the same. Full photos easy to use and I can use OK google to call anyone and again it's simple, fast and intuitive to use.

Well that's about it. Loving Android Auto at the moment and works well with all the other function of the car.

My wife has a iPhone 6S so I will use hers to test and compare shortly.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nemo78
26-05-2016, 09:11 PM
That's a very thorough review [emoji1360] I have ASI on this one didn't on previous one...I do like the voice texting and voice searching to call someone.

I do think it's flaky and one thing that does annoy me is that (could be I haven't worked out how to do this) but so much easier to search for numbers using the normal Bluetooth MMI integration and the biggest negative for me is that if a phone is connected by ASI then I can't have my second phone (work) connected by bluetooth.

I guess for me I'll use the ASI on longer journeys especially when don't need both phones connected.

Don't get me wrong - it's good but there is so much more it could have been and integrated a lot more [emoji1360]

Skippy73
26-05-2016, 09:15 PM
That's a very thorough review [emoji1360] I have ASI on this one didn't on previous one...I do like the voice texting and voice searching to call someone.

I do think it's flaky and one thing that does annoy me is that (could be I haven't worked out how to do this) but so much easier to search for numbers using the normal Bluetooth MMI integration and the biggest negative for me is that if a phone is connected by ASI then I can't have my second phone (work) connected by bluetooth.

I guess for me I'll use the ASI on longer journeys especially when don't need both phones connected.

Don't get me wrong - it's good but there is so much more it could have been and integrated a lot more [emoji1360]

I didn't know you couldn't connect second phone if using ASI. I doubt I will ever use the second phone option tbh so won't effect me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nemo78
26-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I didn't know you couldn't connect second phone if using ASI. I doubt I will ever use the second phone option tbh so won't effect me.

The second phone option is a godsend as always frustrated me in previous car that I had to make a 'choice' and then switch them manually...

andyhud007
26-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Great review!!! I cant decide if I need AA or not now... not that I have it, but would try to retrofit it...

dghdgh
27-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Go for the RAC Andy they are faster than the AA.
(Why does no one find my joke funny)?

andyhud007
27-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Its funny!!!:outtahere

stonestokie
30-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Did you get a new Q7 the !?, did you trade your old one in?, get a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nemo78
01-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Did you get a new Q7 the !?, did you trade your old one in?, get a good deal?

Hey long time no speak! I had my Q7 replaced as there a number of issues with it and on the replacement i had Smartphone Interface added

andyhud007
16-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Little birdy in this great wide world tells me to enable SmartPhone interface on Q7 4Ms that dont have it is just a firmware update and they hope they can provide it (potentially at a cost). This isnt via Audi BTW

Thats all I know for now, but apparently its just "all software" , there is no extra hardware.

Watch this space....

srbsq7
16-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Little birdy in this great wide world tells me to enable SmartPhone interface on Q7 4Ms that dont have it is just a firmware update and they hope they can provide it (potentially at a cost). This isnt via Audi BTW

Thats all I know for now, but apparently its just "all software" , there is no extra hardware.

Watch this space....

Must admit I'm not blown away with it with iPhone anyway. iOS 10 upgrade later this year may make it a bit better.

Not Audi issues, just CarPlay in general ...

srbsq7
30-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Got the car back today. They've replaced the two microphones and now all the voice commands work perfectly.

Had a quick play with voice control and car play and I'm starting to see the benefits. It's clunky via the controller but with voice it's pretty slick.

I've got an Apple Music subscription and using voice to search for any artist / track works really well.

Skippy73
30-06-2016, 10:57 PM
I am still loving the android auto and it's working without issue. Spotify, google play and my tunein all available at ease. My only annoyance is the limit of scrolling through music until a message comes up telling you that you have to park to view any further and generally you don't get far at all. It's a bit annoying and I never had this restriction when it used to be the AMI with iPhone iPod. You could scroll through songs or artists all you wanted. Not sure if Apple car play is the same but I don't like it in android auto. But luckily the OK google voice assist works well to get to the songs I want.

Skippy73
16-07-2016, 12:15 PM
So being a little bit of a technology freak I was happy using my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Android Auto. It has a few annoying little things like search restrictions while driving but on the whole is was great. Having always had IPhone moving to android was a big move for me. But then the Q7 arrived and after using the S7 Edge happily in the car the curiosity began to get to me and I wanted to do a complete comparison to that of the CarPlay. I'm basically going to choose which phone I keep based on the Q7.

I always buy my phones outright every year whenever the latest model comes out and I stick my work SIM card in it so I have no phone bill as such. So the interest in testing the IPhone and CarPlay against the Android got to much and last week I went and bought a new iPhone 6S Plus ;-) I figured I would compare which is best for car integration and sell the other one on EBay. I usually sell my old phone when I get a new one on EBay every year anyway.

So how have I found CarPlay compared to Android Auto (AA) you ask? Well before I tell you there is one matter that improves the CarPlay experience in the Q7. Last week for the first few days I was not happy with CarPlay at all but that was running the current IOS 9. But a few days ago I upgrade the phone to the Beta IOS 10 and it improves the CarPlay experience 10fold. So here is my comparison:

Let's talk about the virtual cockpit (VC) comparisons first. Android Auto is the leader here as the VC is well connected via AA, it displays the phone well while connected to AA on the MMI. So phone details and great contact pictures off you phone are displayed on the VC. CarPlay fails massively as there is no phone connection at ALL, when you run CarPlay on the MMI it disconnects the Bluetooth completely and so on the VC phone Tab is says no phone connected. It's a bit rubbish really as AA managed to maintain a Bluetooth connection and AA connected or not all is displayed in the VC.

On the VC music Tab both CarPlay and AA display track, artist, album etc perfectly but neither display the Artwork, it's just a standard blank image area. So that's a draw really.

So now on the main MMI screen. Well firstly using the phone, and AA jumps well in front for me. It displays beautifully full colour images of the people calling you if you have photos assigned to your contacts in your phone. I love it when my wife calls it displays a great photo of her and my daughter and it's really crisp and sharp. CarPlay displays a very small circle photo image of your contact calling only so very limited and it doesn't look as nice. Both CarPlay and AA do well on contact access through either Siri/OK Google or the MMI control wheel. AA wins this really.

Music is a tough one and the CarPlay IOS 9 is not very good but running IOS 10 Beta it's loads better. For a start AA music restricts your searching via the MMI control wheel it really annoys the hell out of me and while you can use OK Google to ask to play a song or artist, you can't always remember or know what mood you are in and I used to like scrolling around a bit until I found something that I'd not listened to in ages. So while the car is moving you can search for only about 6 clicks of the control wheel and it stops you with a safety warning. Where the CarPlay there is no such restriction and the new IOS 10 Beta music layout on your phone and in CarPlay is brilliant. Playlists, Artists, Albums really nicely laid out. What I don't like about CarPlay is the display on the now playing screen, there is album artwork but it is full screen size and heavily blurred behind the play, rewind, forward controls also at full size screen etc, so AA displays this just a bit better. The same applies to Spotify, again better search ability in CarPlay where AA restricts you. Your library and online browse content is easy to get to on either platform etc for AA search restriction. Also I use Tunein to get those Australian radio stations pumping out in the car (good old Rolf Harris) and it performs equally again in either platform, but since my IOS 10 beta upgrade Tunein is unstable. But I have to accept that and it's the risk i take when running a beta version it will be fixed in the final release shortly anyway. For me CarPlay wins because of the Search ability which is a big plus for me.

It's worth mentioning that like Andyhudd you can use music through Audi Connect and sometimes I do do this, purely because sometimes I just don't bother plugging in the phone when I get in the car and so my phone connects to the cars wifi and launches the app and WiFI media music control is good on either platform, displaying the artwork and track info perfectly on the MMI or the VC and navigation through the menus for artist or songs etc is equally as good. That's what I love about the car and having the smart phone interface, you have options. Jump in the car and go without plugging your phone in you still have music control. Get in the car and plug your phone in and you have CarPlay or AA with music control so lots of versatility.

I don't use MAPs at all through either platform because for me Google Earth Navigation and online traffic is leaps better. But if I were to choose which is better? AA google maps is better than Apple maps from what I have seen. AA wins.

So what about messaging. I am not going to lie I was terrible at using my phone while driving, quick texts, music searches even quickly downloading a song I wanted, I was really bad but only when travelling on my own. But since having the Q7 it has made me safer as I don't need to touch my phone anymore. It goes into the phone box and stays there. But messages was always one of my reasons for reaching for it while driving. AA gives you notifications not just for Messages but also What's App and that was a big draw card for me. CarPlay at the moment has no What's App integration only text messages. So you get a message click on it and Siri/OK Google reads it out to you. The you can respond and Siri/OK Google will send it for you. I have found both platforms work well but maybe OK Google is just a bit in front on accuracy of the voice assistant. Worth mentioning you can have texts read out in the standard MMI telephone function but there is no What's App option. However things are about to change for CarPlay because What's App was not able to previously integrate into CarPlay because an app has to be approved and a developer has to meet certain parameters and messaging required Siri as one of those parameters because messages can only be read out not seen. Apply restricted developers from access to Siri up until now and the new IOS 10 is allowing developer access to Siri for the first time, this will open up more apps for CarPlay and I know What's app and even Facebook messenger on on their way to CarPlay already. At the moment though only AA can handle What's App and other message mediums so AA wins for now.

So my last point is the CarPlay on the IOS 10 Beta you can now remove items off the CarPlay home screen you don't want and even arrange the app icons how you want them displayed. So Podcasts for instance I removed and moved the app positions around a bit in an order I like. It's great.

So what is going to be my favourite platform I have not yet fully decided but CarPlay is looking good it's just a shame that the phone integration to the VC is a bit rubbish and shuts the Bluetooth off leaving you with no phone function on the VC.

Oh also if you have a IPhone 6/6S and are unsure about jumping onto the public IOS 10 beta, I can only say the new Beta 2 version currently out is good and I have had no real serious issues and I'm loving the new IOS 10 notifications and displays ;-)

Many Thanks

satyp
17-07-2016, 09:52 AM
So not sure who has the smartphone interface but I think some recent Q7 arrivals might do.

So I thought I would write how I have found the smartphone interface running Android Auto for my S7 Edge.

Well I am basically very happy with it so far. I leave it on the MMI screen and use the VC for navigation if I need to. It all works exactly as I hoped it would my car is a recognised wifi hotshot by my phone so as soon as the car is on the phone connects via wifi meaning any streaming I do from my phone through Android Auto won't use the phones data but the cars data instead.

I have no intention of using Google maps on Android Auto (AA) and I don't see why anyone would as the cars Google earth is far superior. So for me the AA options I was after was my ipod equivalent music control as I have all my music stored on my phone. I also wanted to use tunin radio app to listen to radio stations world wide. Particularly Australian radio that let's me reminis of home. I also want to have messaging apps including what's app to notify me of messages so I will no longer be tempted to look at my phone while driving.

Well the first image is what you get when you are first connected.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/826363eedc24c6f949c454d606cfb2a8.jpg

You can see in the image it gives you a bit of info of places it has noticed you like to go. The more I use the car the more the info will sharpen amd become relevant. Bit of weather info aswell. All great. If I have been listening to music it will have info recommending to resume where inlet off with info of last song and cover art.

Navigating around the UI is good via the MMI control knob and turning onto music is easy. I kept worrying watching you tube videos as they only demonstrate Spotify all the time and online streaming and I was concerned all my music on the phone could not be played like days of old using an Ipod. But its all good except you can only select playlists,recent played mixes etc. You cant choose artist or songs individually like you can an ipod.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/7c782607aafa05ade721dfc42dde26bc.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/1caf25c0b0d89af17c68357f746e2e41.jpg
At first I was guttered but I discovered how good OK Google (SIRI) is integrated into the car. A quick press of the voice command button on the steering wheel gives you standard Audi VR options. But a longer press gives you full OK Google from the phone. It's brilliant quick and sharp. I've never liked voice commands to much I always end up just using control wheels. But this is brilliant. Just say to ok google "play rock playlist" or "play fleetwood mac" and it does it instantly. So fast and enjoyable. Today I sent a message to my wife. OK goggle on my phone knows who my wife is, so in the car I just so message my wife, Google asks what I want to say and boom it's sent and the accuracy so far is first rate. Messages that come in weather what's app or standard text can be read out easily. It's all very intuitive.

The next other plan I had for AA was also successful using tunein radio app that is an approved app for both AA and Carplay. Straight on and in no time I have my Australian radio stations on in the car. While it's the phone providing the UI to the car, the phone is connected to the cars WIFI so you 2 aerials on the roof are maintain the best possible connection with no cut-out. Even the artwork of the Australian radio stations are displayed.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/bd2454e12a58743466d37e8a167f2e2a.jpg

And I can flick through my favourite radio stations as easy as the cars own DAB.

Another thing is while listening to my music or online radio at any time I can swap into the cars MMI menu, navigation or other function WITHOUT LOSS. AA will keep working no differently.

Also the speed camera warning we have all just put into our cars also works in Android Auto. So you can get all your standard notifications still.

So lastly the telephone in AA against the Telephone in MMI. Great news is I can use either at any time. If I have not turned AA on and maybe listening to standard DAB or something the telephone is great. Display full contact directory profile photos of who is on the phone or calling you. If I am in AA it's the same. Full photos easy to use and I can use OK google to call anyone and again it's simple, fast and intuitive to use.

Well that's about it. Loving Android Auto at the moment and works well with all the other function of the car.

My wife has a iPhone 6S so I will use hers to test and compare shortly.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thought I'd ask you skippy as you seem like an Andriod Auto Maestro..

Android Auto - I'm having major issues trying to navigate around using the dial.. I can't still seem to get to the bottom 5 “App” toggles for some reason just goes straight to home screen

Also found this - but still don't help me thought I'd share as Mr Mathias Halliger tries to explain how Audi AG tries to intergrate into AA and how some functionality is suppressed by region.

2016 Audi Q7 and Android Auto hands on demo at #IO15 - YouTube (https://youtu.be/yxq7yJEnt-s)

Would appreciate any pointers.. I've tried moving the dial in all directions but still can't get to the lower toggle sections ie between drive communications etc..

What obvious thing Am I missing here?.. thought it be would be intuitive.

Also tried using AA google maps on little screen and as soon as AA becomes active (once smartphone interface) is in use then VC maps disappear and get replaced with a compass dial n/e/s/w ..whats the deal with that...

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Skippy73
17-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Ok so to get to the menu you always see along the bottom you tilt your control wheel down, that will always put you on the home icon highlighted first the that looks like this "O" once that's highlighted it indicates that you are in the bottom menu area and you turn the wheel to move along the various items like Maps, Music, and Audi MMI etc. I think that's what you mean? If you are trying to get to a particular music app, when you first select the headphone symbol on the bottom of the menu it will always load you straight into the last used music app by default but if you want to use a different music app you have to just re click on the head phones icon on bottom menu and the second time you will have app choices if that makes sense.

I have never seen the compass dial as I don't use google maps, I use the built in nav google earth which always works even when AA is running (but not AA maps)

satyp
17-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Ok so to get to the menu you always see along the bottom you tilt your control wheel down, that will always put you on the home icon highlighted first the that looks like this "O" once that's highlighted it indicates that you are in the bottom menu area and you turn the wheel to move along the various items like Maps, Music, and Audi MMI etc. I think that's what you mean? If you are trying to get to a particular music app, when you first select the headphone symbol on the bottom of the menu it will always load you straight into the last used music app by default but if you want to use a different music app you have to just re click on the head phones icon on bottom menu and the second time you will have app choices if that makes sense.

I have never seen the compass dial as I don't use google maps, I use the built in nav google earth which always works even when AA is running (but not AA maps)

You are right that's what I meant.. I just wasn't getting to that bottom screen!!

I will post picture of compass once the vehicle is back Mrs has taken it in law from yesterday, so my QT quality time with the Q this Sunday has taken bit of a hit..

I was quite sure some folk here had mentioned using AA maps on small screen ..Audi Google earth 🌎 on VC in tandem..

Thought you had posted [emoji16] while back

I like simply got used to google live traffic algorithms which the Google earth or Audi system doesn't quite highlight via colours.. At least I haven't noticed as yet as I thought Audi Nav uses the HERE maps database.

It would nice to have alternative nav guidance on the 2nd screen at times..

satyp
17-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks skippy ..it only works now.. Need to get familiar with the dial.. Takes a little getting used to though

Skippy73
17-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks skippy ..it only works now.. Need to get familiar with the dial.. Takes a little getting used to though

No worries [emoji1]also have a play with the MMI touch pad. When in music for instance, select the left side button on the touch pad will show you menu for selecting artist or playlist for instance and the right side button on the touch pad launches OK google assistant which I find better than holding down the voice button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds.

It will annoy you though when you are are restricted on music search while driving.

Skippy73
17-07-2016, 11:53 PM

Oh I forgot to mention. Have you noticed that the AA does not display on the screen in full size (black bars either side)??

You can fix that, Launch the app and in the top left corner of the screen where it says android auto tap it 10 times and you will enter developer mode. In the setting select display 720p.

And now you have AA displayed in full screen of the MMI.

You might of already known that.

satyp
18-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Awesome .. Will check ✔ it out in the eve for sure.. Interesting little finds.. Can't believe why a software system would hide so much flexibility.. Only thing I can think of is some design for bigger screens.. But still doesn't make sense as it would still fit, no not sure why they would cap any real estate on the screen by putting bars ..from a user perspective :-0

andyhud007
18-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Guys. I need a favour for those of you that have the smartphone interface. If your OK to, can you take a pic of your MMI version levels please. Including all the ones you see if you scroll down on that page. Feel free to pm me if you'd prefer. I'm making headway for smartphone interface on my16s but need to compare some levels against cars that have it.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

satyp
18-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Just posting again whilst on Tapatalk

Had posted in Q7 4M software thread appx post no #77 ..I think it had relevant info..else I took some more earlier today..

satyp
18-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Guys. I need a favour for those of you that have the smartphone interface. If your OK to, can you take a pic of your MMI version levels please. Including all the ones you see if you scroll down on that page. Feel free to pm me if you'd prefer. I'm making headway for smartphone interface on my16s but need to compare some levels against cars that have it.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Had posted in Q7 4M software thread appx post no #77 ..I think it had relevant info..else I took some more earlier today..

andyhud007
18-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Nemo78
18-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Just let me know if you need anymore detail

srbsq7
21-07-2016, 11:40 PM
So my last point is the CarPlay on the IOS 10 Beta you can now remove items off the CarPlay home screen you don't want and even arrange the app icons how you want them displayed. So Podcasts for instance I removed and moved the app positions around a bit in an order I like. It's great.

So what is going to be my favourite platform I have not yet fully decided but CarPlay is looking good it's just a shame that the phone integration to the VC is a bit rubbish and shuts the Bluetooth off leaving you with no phone function on the VC.

Oh also if you have a IPhone 6/6S and are unsure about jumping onto the public IOS 10 beta, I can only say the new Beta 2 version currently out is good and I have had no real serious issues and I'm loving the new IOS 10 notifications and displays ;-)

Many Thanks

Just took the plunge! Agree, seems pretty good and only found a couple of minor issues - Sky go doesn't work and TuneIn disappeared from CarPlay.

Certainly no regrets so far! Got a backup on the PC if I do want to roll back though!

Skippy73
22-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Just took the plunge! Agree, seems pretty good and only found a couple of minor issues - Sky go doesn't work and TuneIn disappeared from CarPlay.

Certainly no regrets so far! Got a backup on the PC if I do want to roll back though!

They have just released iOS 10 beta 2 it's its even better and more stable. It's starting to feel close to the final version. But yeah TuneIn is still not working yet on CarPlay, the icon is on my screen but when I try to use it, it just starts to load and after a while comes back with try again. If you try again it closes down. But it's just a bug and I know it will be fixed in a few weeks so I'm not bothered. But Spotify and iTunes music is great.

Glad you like it

srbsq7
22-07-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes, I thought I'd wait for public beta 2 before going for it. For me the TuneIn icon isn't even visible in CarPlay.

Looking forward to seeing what other apps appear in CarPlay now Siri is being opened up.

Nemo78
22-07-2016, 07:31 AM
How do I get the beta iOS?

Skippy73
22-07-2016, 08:22 AM
How do I get the beta iOS?

It's really good nemo. Just register for the apple public beta tester. Google it and you will find it.

Very easy.

I'm really enjoying the lock screen notifications layout etc

srbsq7
22-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Links off here Apple Releases Second Public Beta of iOS 10 - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/20/apple-releases-ios-10-public-beta-2/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds)

srbsq7
22-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Links off here Apple Releases Second Public Beta of iOS 10 - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/20/apple-releases-ios-10-public-beta-2/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds)

Skippy - have you tried facetime? Did a call to the kids this morning and it seemed to be stuck in portrait mode and wouldn't rotate. Was going to try again tonight.

Skippy73
22-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Skippy - have you tried facetime? Did a call to the kids this morning and it seemed to be stuck in portrait mode and wouldn't rotate. Was going to try again tonight.

No mate I haven't and I usually FaceTime my parents in Australia every few weeks. Might try over the weekend, using the cars 4G wifi [emoji12]

srbsq7
22-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Just worked out the issue only occurs if using the force touch on the FaceTime icon to bring up a favourite?! Bit bizarre but good that it works otherwise.

Submitted two bugs to apple today. Hope the pay is good...

Skippy73
22-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Just worked out the issue only occurs if using the force touch on the FaceTime icon to bring up a favourite?! Bit bizarre but good that it works otherwise.

Submitted two bugs to apple today. Hope the pay is good...

Yeah I sent the TuneIn bug. That FaceTime is a bug definitely.

srbsq7
25-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Read today that iOS 10 allows Apple maps to display in the VC. Checked and at the moment with the beta you just get a compass - and that is at the expense of the standard maps. I think this would prevent me from ever using Apple maps if you couldn't have both at the same time.

satyp
25-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Read today that iOS 10 allows Apple maps to display in the VC. Checked and at the moment with the beta you just get a compass - and that is at the expense of the standard maps. I think this would prevent me from ever using Apple maps if you couldn't have both at the same time.
Its the same with AA..

I have a feeling compass will stay in full release too [emoji15] [emoji30]

I mentioned this or asked skippy re android (posts #16#17#18 I think)...same issue just a compass never ended up posting picture tho ..

No one seems to want use smartphone map on side screen and standard map on VC ... [emoji47]

I guess at the end of the day any IOS update will be followed by AA update and vice versa ..So all good as it should translate into the Audi interface somehow??.. Hope the compass explanation surfaces ..

Still not getting why standard Audi maps flip to compass!!!.

Tale for another day...

Skippy73
01-08-2016, 08:47 PM
FYI apple have released a new version of iOS 10 beta today for developers. This will be available to Public Beta users on Thursday so more fixes and CarPlay functions [emoji106]

Skippy73
02-08-2016, 08:42 PM
New beta 3 for public available now for those interested in settings, general, update

maxw
02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I hope this version is better than the other had a nightmare with screen freeze and can't log into me Barclays Bank account lol grrrr
hope this works better

srbsq7
02-08-2016, 11:12 PM
First impressions are that it's a fair bit more responsive.

Didn't have issues with Barclays app before and works with this one.

Definitely seems more polished.

srbsq7
03-08-2016, 07:18 AM
iPlayer doesn't appear to work. Reinstall didn't fix so looks like an app update is required

Skippy73
10-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Those running IOS10 Beta. New Beta 4 released today FYI

srbsq7
10-08-2016, 01:36 PM
On it. Also done the Apple Watch and major improvement with the apps now less dependent on the phone. Runs much faster and still a beta.

Skippy73
15-08-2016, 09:19 PM
New iOS beta 5

Nemo78
15-08-2016, 09:22 PM
I can't wait for the full release of iOS10 and maybe an iPhone 7 [emoji5]

srbsq7
19-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Beta 6 just released so perhaps urgent bug fixed

Skippy73
08-09-2016, 10:15 PM
iOS 10 gold master is released

srbsq7
08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Nice one - assumed I'd have to wait till next week! Watch OS 3 also available

Sandy100
08-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Hi Skippy,
Thats a great review, i've had car play for a while but getting more and more frustrated with it disconnecting/cutting in and out to regular audi mmi vs carplay.
i had a look today and my software is 0442 - do you know if this is the latest release? i was hoping with an update and ios10 things might get better, the lack of bluetooth and info in the VC is beyond backwards.

any suggestions welcome

thanks

srbsq7
08-09-2016, 11:39 PM
My May build car is on 0442 and I don't have any issues with CarPlay disconnecting. MY17 cars have a newer software version but I don't believe any older cars have had an upgrade beyond 0442.

Apple haven't enabled wireless CarPlay yet so no change with iOS 10 - I'd be surprised if it will work with existing cars when it does come.

With regards to info in the VC, Apple Music works but phone info doesn't which is annoying. With the betas, Apple Maps was displaying a compass so will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow when I connect it up.

Skippy - gold master definitely seems a lot smoother and quicker.

srbsq7
09-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Just checked this morning and when Apple Maps is on he middle screen, you can have the Audi / google map in the VC as long as you don't put a route into the Apple maps as you then get the daft compass.

Nothing new from what I can see but hopefully more apps integrated with Siri will follow soon.

Skippy73
09-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Hi Sandy, srbsq7 is spot on, I also have had no connect issues. Sometimes occasionally CarPlay doesn't start up automatically and I'm directed to the connection manager and have to tick my iPhone profile in the options. If you google CarPlay changes in iOS 10, or watch the Apple June event video, it details how Apple CarPlay is being updated to run navigation over on car centre consoles, but this does not seem to have occurred yet. It maybe that the Q7 VC is over and above the standard driver display and so an Audi update will also be required. Time will tell but I have no doubt they will sort it eventually.

On a side note, new iPhone 7 plus ordered this morning :-)

Gyro
09-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Hi Sandy, srbsq7 is spot on, I also have had no connect issues. Sometimes occasionally CarPlay doesn't start up automatically and I'm directed to the connection manager and have to tick my iPhone profile in the options. If you google CarPlay changes in iOS 10, or watch the Apple June event video, it details how Apple CarPlay is being updated to run navigation over on car centre consoles, but this does not seem to have occurred yet. It maybe that the Q7 VC is over and above the standard driver display and so an Audi update will also be required. Time will tell but I have no doubt they will sort it eventually.

On a side note, new iPhone 7 plus ordered this morning :-)

"On a side note, new iPhone 7 plus ordered this morning :-)" --> What did you go for Skippy? I've gone for the 7 Plus, 128 GB, silver for me and rose gold for the wife. Going to try that invisible protective coating rather than a case this time I think! Gone for 16 GB data on each handset which should hopefully be plenty for tethering in the SQ7's hotspot. Did spend over an hour on the phone to EE though, most of which was on hold!

Sorry for side-tracking the thread folks :Blush2:

Skippy73
09-09-2016, 11:24 AM
"On a side note, new iPhone 7 plus ordered this morning :-)" --> What did you go for Skippy? I've gone for the 7 Plus, 128 GB, silver for me and rose gold for the wife. Going to try that invisible protective coating rather than a case this time I think! Gone for 16 GB data on each handset which should hopefully be plenty for tethering in the SQ7's hotspot. Did spend over an hour on the phone to EE though, most of which was on hold!

I went the new Jet Gloss Black in 128gb form. I don't want to put mine in a case that will cover that nice shiny gloss so To keep it glossy and scratch free I will keep it in a nice leather pouch. Then when in pocket or travel it's protected, put in use in my hand it's sheer sexiness [emoji16] I buy mine each year direct from Apple unlocked. Managed to be quick enough this morning to get a 1-2 week delivery, but I seen now it's into November.

I have to say those air pods look the nuts too. I'll be in New York end of oct so think I'll get those then and it's will be cheaper [emoji16]

Gyro
09-09-2016, 11:39 AM
I went the new Jet Gloss Black in 128gb form. I don't want to put mine in a case that will cover that nice shiny gloss so To keep it glossy and scratch free I will keep it in a nice leather pouch. Then when in pocket or travel it's protected, put in use in my hand it's sheer sexiness [emoji16] I buy mine each year direct from Apple unlocked. Managed to be quick enough this morning to get a 1-2 week delivery, but I seen now it's into November.

I have to say those air pods look the nuts too. I'll be in New York end of oct so think I'll get those then and it's will be cheaper [emoji16]

Nice, I almost got the jet black but thought it would be a PITA to keep clean/glossy! I've got a two week delivery too so happy days, not too fussed about the earphone thing as I bought a pair of Bose QC35 Bluetooth on-ears recently.

Nemo78
09-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Ha it's become the iPhone thread [emoji23]

It's funny how Apple have said that the jet black will scratch on their website...

Anyhow resisted ordering as it seems too expensive without any major update...so the 6 will need to hold on a little longer [emoji5]

Skippy73
09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Nice, I almost got the jet black but thought it would be a PITA to keep clean/glossy! I've got a two week delivery too so happy days, not too fussed about the earphone thing as I bought a pair of Bose QC35 Bluetooth on-ears recently.

Ha it's funny you mention that I got a pair of QC25 about 6 months ago not realising they were about to release a Bluetooth noise cancelling pair. But to be fair I only use them on the plane during holidays and visits to Oz and the kids use mine in the Q7 with their iPads

srbsq7
09-09-2016, 09:19 PM

I've got the 6S plus and wouldn't go back to the standard size again. I think I'm going to sign up to the IPhone upgrade program which is now available in the UK so you get the latest phone each year. Can't order online though...

Interested to hear you're feedback when you get it.

Skippy73
13-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Not sure if anyone uses TuneIn Radio but I do and it has not worked since running iOS 10 beta. New tunein update just arrived that adapts to iOS 10 and bug fixes. Hopefully this will sort it.

Skippy73
14-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Not sure if anyone uses TuneIn Radio but I do and it has not worked since running iOS 10 beta. New tunein update just arrived that adapts to iOS 10 and bug fixes. Hopefully this will sort it.

TuneIn radio completely gone from CarPlay now :-(

srbsq7
14-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Are you on v10.7 that came out yesterday?

Nemo78
14-09-2016, 09:03 AM
iOS 10 nearly killed my phone and see 10.0.1 was then the update that quickly followed

Skippy73
14-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Yeah v10.7 from yesterday took it off CarPlay. I assume because of the CarPlay update in iOS10 they have taken it off while they fix it. I checked this morning on TuneIn app and TuneIn pro app. Both the same

srbsq7
14-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Same for me. Realised after I'd posted you can see the CarPlay apps on the iPhone now and it's not there.

andyhud007
15-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Just as a (probably pointless) FYI, I've found a company in Moscow, Russia who will enable Smart Phone Interface on MY16 cars for the princely sum of 280 Euros. The downside.. you have to remove your MMI unit from your glove box and ship it to them to do it (as suspected)...

Whos up for trying? :smashfrea

P13TR0
15-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Just as a (probably pointless) FYI, I've found a company in Moscow, Russia who will enable Smart Phone Interface on MY16 cars for the princely sum of 280 Euros. The downside.. you have to remove your MMI unit from your glove box and ship it to them to do it (as suspected)...

Whos up for trying? :smashfrea

erm.... as appealing as that idea sounds, I think I will live without for now. If this is legitimate, what do you think they do with the MMI unit to get the interface working?

andyhud007
15-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Basically, they basically are getting into the unit at an Operating System level and injecting the SmartPhone Interface code into it once they get the list of root passwords or crack the password hash.

I too will probably pass on this... but interesting none the less.

Nemo78
15-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Wonder if you'd actually get your own MMI unit back....if you did it if course

maxw
15-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Nice find Andy

but

am guessing that the car wont work without the MMI?

and what happen if it got lost in the post lol then what? Think ud be in a huge muddle?

M

andyhud007
15-09-2016, 11:40 PM
Yep

The car will work without MMI, its not needed to drive the car, but you wont be able to change many settings or the radio!

It would have to be your MMI unit returned Nemo, if it wasnt you would know about it fairly quickly as Component Protection would kick in and have a right hissy fit!

However, if it got lost in the post.. yeah, then your in deep S......

Andy

srbsq7
20-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Yeah v10.7 from yesterday took it off CarPlay. I assume because of the CarPlay update in iOS10 they have taken it off while they fix it. I checked this morning on TuneIn app and TuneIn pro app. Both the same

Updated this morning and still not fixed. Surprised they're not on top of this.

Skippy73
20-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Yeah I seen, they will sort it. I emailed them and got a reply that they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

I managed to find my favourite Aussie radio station on the MMI app radio.net and actually like it better anyway :-)

maxw
20-09-2016, 12:14 PM

srbsq7

quick question I sign up for beta testing on my iPad but now everyone is on iOS 10
does that mean my iPad reverts back to getting the normal updates now or am I still on the beta program or do I still have to restore via iTunes to go back to normal to remove the beta testing?

anyone?

thanks guys

M

srbsq7
20-09-2016, 02:38 PM
srbsq7

quick question I sign up for beta testing on my iPad but now everyone is on iOS 10
does that mean my iPad reverts back to getting the normal updates now or am I still on the beta program or do I still have to restore via iTunes to go back to normal to remove the beta testing?

anyone?

thanks guys

M

Hi Max, I think you would remain on the public beta for future releases. What you need to do (and what I have done), is go into Settings, then under General - Profiles remove the public beta profiles and then you'll be back to normal.

maxw
21-09-2016, 03:09 AM
Hi Max, I think you would remain on the public beta for future releases. What you need to do (and what I have done), is go into Settings, then under General - Profiles remove the public beta profiles and then you'll be back to normal.

Thanks mate have removed it now

M

Skippy73
11-10-2016, 08:25 AM
TuneIn radio CarPlay is back

Mozart
24-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi All, I'm new here. I have Q7 3,0 TDI before 15.08.2015. I've read some posts about Android Auto and seems that my Q7 does not have Smartphone Interface software. Do you know whether something has changed and it is possible to load missing software now?
I was also reading some posts regarding wireless charging, since I have also problem with this. I have Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, but my phone doesn't charge in wireless mode. I would appreciate for any suggestions.

thanks!

andyhud007
24-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Hi Mozart, welcome

I suggest doing a search on this forum under Q7 4M as the SmartPhone stuff has been discussed a lot. However, in a nutshell its not in your car and without some severe hacking and sending your MMI unit to foreign countries it isnt going to happen sadly. It only became standard in MY17 cars onwards AFAIK.

As for Wireless Charging, do you have the Audi Phone Box in the centre console under the arm rest? you need that for wireless charging

Cheers

Andy

Mozart
24-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Hi Andy,
I asked my local dealer to do some research regarding Smartphone Interface. For now I don't want to include third parties as I still have warranty :)
Regarding Wireless Charging I do have Audi Phone Box, that is why I was wondering why its not charging. I have original Samsung wireless charger so at least I have a proof that my phone has this feature working properly :)

Thanks,
Mozart

andyhud007
24-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Good stuff, let us know what you hear back

I have the Samsung S6 Edge+ and it works fine for me, even with a case on.

Mozart
24-11-2016, 04:28 PM
So you don't need any additional accessories? All you need to do is to put your phone into Audi Phone Box and its charging, correct? I couldn't find any option for that in the MMI nor in the APB itself. So I guess this is another thing that Audi Service will have to take care...:(
Anyway, thank you Andy for the prompt reply!
cheers

Mozart
28-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Quick update, I will be on Thursday visiting my dealer, also for software update. Will see about this Smartphone Interface. I saw in another thread that I'm also missing Adaptive Cruise Control option in MMI, so I hope it will be also updated.
I will keep you posted.
cheers.

andyhud007
29-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Quick update, I will be on Thursday visiting my dealer, also for software update. Will see about this Smartphone Interface. I saw in another thread that I'm also missing Adaptive Cruise Control option in MMI, so I hope it will be also updated.
I will keep you posted.
cheers.

Good luck. Be interesting to hear what your dealer says about SI and whether it can be added to your car. Different country and all.

Mozart
08-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Unfortunately, I have other problems with my Q7 and lack of ASI seems to be minor one. Currently my Q7 is in Audi service where they're trying to fix all problems. They expect to fix all by tomorrow, which is very unlikely for me. Anyway, if they will get to things like phonebox doesn't work or missing ASI I will be very happy and will let you know. For now they could't explain how bottom bars of two left doors doesn't fit to the rest and why there is nothing in history about that :(

Nemo78
08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, I have other problems with my Q7 and lack of ASI seems to be minor one. Currently my Q7 is in Audi service where they're trying to fix all problems. They expect to fix all by tomorrow, which is very unlikely for me. Anyway, if they will get to things like phonebox doesn't work or missing ASI I will be very happy and will let you know. For now they could't explain how bottom bars of two left doors doesn't fit to the rest and why there is nothing in history about that :(

Sorry to hear this Mozart. What other issues have you been experiencing?

Mozart
09-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Well, first problem was with with bottom door bars (like this from your avatar's picture :) ). Ie bars from left side didn't match to the rest. It was like they were taken from not S-line model. But lately Audi replaced them for proper one. Also the same door creaked. Also the same door from the inside were not in the same line as dashboard. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the history, but this left door was changed obviously. The driver's seat is loose. You can feel it especially when accelerating or braking. Other that that Audi PhoneBox does not work at all. Right mirror when set, turn down while reverse is on, but sometimes does not return to its position. There is also strange behavior of front parking sensors, they can activate when nothing is closing. But this I have observed in another Q7, which seems that Q7 are not best in the world :). I noticed also some strong vibration just before car go to the stop mode and turn off. I don't know if this is related more with autohold or start&stop system, but I can't see this in Q7 that I got from service as a replacement car. Small things, but all together are really frustrating...:(

ragebe
09-12-2016, 02:38 PM
You know that your phone will only charge in the box if it's a metal-case phone?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Mozart
09-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Yes, I know. We have verified that it doesn't work with guy from Audi. Also I did same thing in the replacement car and it worked.

Nemo78
09-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Well, first problem was with with bottom door bars (like this from your avatar's picture :) ). Ie bars from left side didn't match to the rest. It was like they were taken from not S-line model. But lately Audi replaced them for proper one. Also the same door creaked. Also the same door from the inside were not in the same line as dashboard. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the history, but this left door was changed obviously.

Definitely sounds like the doors been changed...did you buy the car new or used? I can't remember without going back through the thread.

There is also strange behavior of front parking sensors, they can activate when nothing is closing. But this I have observed in another Q7, which seems that Q7 are not best in the world :).

Yup mine does this, in fact so did my original one, never worked out why? Sensitivity or just the car picking up mysterious happenings around the car....

I noticed also some strong vibration just before car go to the stop mode and turn off. I don't know if this is related more with autohold or start&stop system, but I can't see this in Q7 that I got from service as a replacement car. Small things, but all together are really frustrating...:(

So I sometimes get a judder type sensation when start stop kicks in, it's like the engine cuts out and brakes clasp on before the car really has come to a halt. Only happens now and then. I don't feel a vibration.

Can't comment on phonebox unfortunately as my fruity type of phone doesn't understand wireless charging...[emoji17]

Mozart
09-12-2016, 04:27 PM
I bought it as kind of demo car, as it was used by importer and then sold to the Audi dealer. Anyway, Audi service is about to start working on my car, so I hope that they will fix all. If we get to the reason of that vibration I will share with you the details. As far as Audi Smartphone Interface I don't have any hope as I've heard that their electrician is not so experienced, so I expect to hear something like "sorry, it's impossible" :)

ragebe
09-12-2016, 04:29 PM
In your shoes, I'd be tempted to return the vehicle for a full refund and buy another. Sale of Goods Act gives six-year cover in the UK; don't know if you have something similar in Polska.

Mozart
09-12-2016, 04:53 PM
I was also thinking about returning car with full refund as we have that also based on the civil law. But the car has been checked in other place and doesn't seem to be involved in any crash. This dealer promised to fix all issues and if they succeed and add, let's say, full refund service till the end of warranty as a redeem, I think I can go for it :) Especially, that I already talked to the expert witness who said that if all parts have been replaced with original parts, there was no additional paint, then the car will not lose its value. So replaced windscreen, front bumper (and some additional stuff near bumper) and this mysterious door will not affect the value.
By the way, the reason that I started asking about Audi Smartphone Interface was, apart that I thought its missing or not working, the need of using youtube :) I usually play some music for my kids, as its much more easier, instead of having everything on SD :)
Obvious solution would be to run it on smartphone and play via bluetooth, but it doesn't seem convenient while driving and having phone in phonebox:) Do you have any workaround?

ragebe
09-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Can you not plug a lead into your phone and the Aux socket? 3.5mm jack-plug either end.

Mozart
09-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Apologize, I wasn't clear. I meant to use MMI to navigate, as I think this is one of the best car multimedia system. You can still focus on driving and operate media. There are some apps like Auepo, so perhaps, there is something for youtube?

Mozart
15-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Hi,
All the best in new 2017 for all of you.
I have a quick update. Service has fixed some issues like doors or driver's seat. Also I have now full functionality of the Phonebox, including wireless charging and here I got some new "facts" from Audi. They told me that all Q7 manufactured before 07.2015 don't have wireless charging...
But they tried with something they called driver (some hardware part) from other Q7 that has it and it worked with my car. So they ordered it for me, but in order to work in my car they had to put it in that other Q7, program it and then put into my car. Anyway, it works fine now.
I found in this thread Predictive Efficiency Assistant - Page 4 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/171420-Predictive-Efficiency-Assistant/page4?highlight=predictive+efficiency)
same problem with my car. I showed them that this version of software should bring Adaptive Cruise Control option in MMI, but they didn't want to install anything, saying that its not that simple and if my car doesn't have this feature it means its not for this car. Strange, as I have ACC, predictive information and road signs recognition....so using speed limit from road signs should also work?

cheers.

srbsq7
15-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Hi Mozart,

Traffic sign recognition and predictive efficiency assist are two additional options to ACC and all 3 are included in the Dynamic pack. If you have them, then the ACC does adapt speeds to roadsigns and speed limit info in the sat nav data I believe.

It certainly works for me and recognises temporary road signs.

andyhud007
15-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Apologize, I wasn't clear. I meant to use MMI to navigate, as I think this is one of the best car multimedia system. You can still focus on driving and operate media. There are some apps like Auepo, so perhaps, there is something for youtube?

I use Napster & Web Radio and the MMI Connect app. I can then use the MMI to control all my music. If you dont have Audi SmartPhone Interface then it can't be retrofitted by Audi, they won't do it but there are people in the world willing to do it for you for a price but you need to send your MMI unit in the glove box to them. No guarantees either.

andyhud007
15-01-2017, 01:18 PM
I found in this thread Predictive Efficiency Assistant - Page 4 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/171420-Predictive-Efficiency-Assistant/page4?highlight=predictive+efficiency)
same problem with my car. I showed them that this version of software should bring Adaptive Cruise Control option in MMI, but they didn't want to install anything, saying that its not that simple and if my car doesn't have this feature it means its not for this car. Strange, as I have ACC, predictive information and road signs recognition....so using speed limit from road signs should also work?

cheers.

Mozart I cant quite understand what your asking. ACC in the MMI but you have ACC?

What do you think your missing?

Cheers

Andy

ragebe
16-01-2017, 11:01 AM
I've just left mine at Poole Audi for it's first 'service' (oil-change and inspection) and have left a note asking about why Android Auto doesn't work, so will see what the response is this afternoon. The loan car is a TT TFSI on a '66' plate. It's rather nice and accelerates and brakes well. I wouldn't swap my Q7 for it though.

Mozart
18-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Mozart I cant quite understand what your asking. ACC in the MMI but you have ACC?

What do you think your missing?

Cheers

Andy

I have ACC, I have also Predictive information eg roundabout ahead, etc, I have road sign recognition. But I don't have possibility that ACC can adapt the speed to the area speed limit based on signs.
It can be set in MMI in Drive assist - Adaptive Cruise Control - Use speed limit. I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control option :( So I thought I had older software.

Thanks.
Mateusz

Mozart
18-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Hi Srbsq7,

I think I have all 3, but to be sure let's clarify what is exactly predictive efficiency assist. Is it just a pack of information showed on green (in ACC section in Virtual Cockpit) like roundabout or slow down speed limit etc? If so, I have all of them, but using speed limit from signs doesn't work.
Unfortunately, it is very painful talking to this Audi service, because their first answer is either: "it's ok, it should be that way" or "sorry, your car doesn't have this option". But since I'm stubborn I have now fixed driver's seat, working phonebox etc :)

cheers

andyhud007
18-01-2017, 11:34 PM
You have all the right hardware by the sounds of things. Sounds like some missing coding more than anything.

Nemo78
18-01-2017, 11:38 PM
I have ACC, I have also Predictive information eg roundabout ahead, etc, I have road sign recognition. But I don't have possibility that ACC can adapt the speed to the area speed limit based on signs.
It can be set in MMI in Drive assist - Adaptive Cruise Control - Use speed limit. I don't have Adaptive Cruise Control option :( So I thought I had older software.

Thanks.
Mateusz

Hang on someone in the early days had the ACC option in MMI missing...there's a thread here somewhere

Edit: Mozart is this the issue?

Predictive Efficiency Assistant

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evwaudiforum%2Eco% 2Euk%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D171420&share_tid=171420&share_fid=7960&share_type=t

andyhud007
18-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Good shout Nemo! Those build weeks where the cars weren't coded correctly!

srbsq7
18-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Thanks.
Mateusz

It does sound like something isn't right there. If you see the green foot coming off the accelerator when you approach roundabouts you have the predictive efficiency assist. I think you also have the Efficiency option in drive select?

Just checked the manual, and the place to turn it on or off is: MENU button -> Car -> press left control button -> Driver assist -> Audi Adaptive cruise control.

Under there, you should have "Use Speed Limit" and "Adaption to route ahead". If this is missing, sounds like you have the software issue Deano179 had in the thread you provided a link to. If so, definitely fight with Audi to get it fixed as this is one of the best features.

Mozart
19-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Guys,

Yes, I agree there is some problem with software. In my previous post I also put a link to this thread where problem was similar and solved after update.
But, my software version is 0358, which is the same that solved problem from that thread. I even got info how to run engineers menu, but there was no option for this and I didn't want to mess with it without manual :)
Furthermore, In Audi service they didn't want to install anything just because, they told me that it is possible only when there is service action for it. Also according to them I have the latest version.

Thanks.

srbsq7
19-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Hi Mateusz,

Are you in the UK? Might be worth raising with Audi UK if you're not getting anywhere.

It does feel like we're in a transition period where dealerships are not up to supporting their customers on the tech aspects of the cars (this isn't just an Audi thing as my experience with BMW wasn't any better).

The factory push out a lot of beta software and have virtually no support structure to deal with any issues.

I think they need to sort this out or the tech led companies like Tesla will take over in the next decade.

Can you imagine going into your local dealership in a few years time once that Nvidia / Audi Q7 demo'd at CES a couple of weeks ago goes into production! My Q7's AI is misbehaving, please can you fix neural network and give it a hoover and wash too [emoji23]

andyhud007
19-01-2017, 12:47 AM
It will be missing coding. I'm on 0358 and have it. There is newer software for mmi but that's just the mmi software, not the car as a whole.

0358 doesn't reflect the overall software level of the car, there are many levels for each module in the car. The mmi is just one module on 0358.

Mozart
21-01-2017, 07:00 PM
I'm in Poland. I will have to still struggle with my local dealer. Currently, I have scheduled next visit there on next Friday, where I will have to prove them that I have this predictive efficiency assistant :(
They are going to verify it in some Audi system and then it will be possible installing anything. But it's getting better as I have now fully working PhoneBox including wireless charging :) It's wired that it seems that Q7 made before 07.2015 doesn't have not only Smartphone interface, but also wireless charging in Phonebox. I wonder if anyone could confirm that?

andyhud007
21-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Mine was built October 2015 and I do not have smartphone interface but I DO have wireless charging phone box.

ragebe
21-01-2017, 08:02 PM
I have wireless charging box AND the ability to have two phones connected via Bluetooth, which is why I thought I had ASI.

andyhud007
21-01-2017, 08:15 PM
I can connect 2 phones too but it's nothing to do with ASI unfortunately.

Nemo78
21-01-2017, 08:37 PM
My original was built Aug and had everything except smartphone interface