PDA

View Full Version : Question Clicking/hissing noise that turns to high pitch whine from engine bay (Golf MK5 TDI GT)

Smithers88
26-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Hey everybody,

I've been looking around for a while now and can't seem to get any decent opinions on the source of this noise. A couple of mechanics have had a look and even they don't seem to know.
Basically, the noise only happens when in gear (all 6) and only when accelerating. A loud sort of brushing/ hissing noise comes from the engine bay.
As the car begins to warm up the clicking changes to a high pitch whine, but that's only really noticeable in 1st and 2nd and only under gentle acceleration.
The ticking increases with engine speed. Depressing the clutch makes the noise disappear.

It only happens in gear under acceleration so its pretty difficult to isolate where the noise is coming from, although it seems louder on the drivers side.

Has anybody else had any similar problems or think they may know the solution?
Cheers in advance gents.

- 2004 MK5 Golf TDI GT 2.0

K21000
11-12-2016, 08:51 PM
I had a similar issue with my MK5 GT, but cannot say it was the same sound as you are reporting. It turned out to be gearbox shaft bearings. Luckily sorted out under used car warranty from dealership.

niall campbell
12-12-2016, 11:11 AM
change gearbox oil and check vw for updated specs, it makes a difference