PDA

View Full Version : A4 b7 2.0tdi turbo issue

sully251
26-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Hi all, i've been a member for a while but this is my 1st post, hope someone can help.
I have recently bought an 05 avant sline 2.0tdi. The previous owner replaced the spool on the turbo and all was ok for a while then the other day the car went into limp mode, which cleared when i switched off the ignition and started back up. I also noticed a bit of an oil leak from the turbo. I removed the turbo and found the oil feed pipe was missing the copper washer so was leaking oil. while the turbo was off i checked the vnt was operating correctly and found it was all free just as expected. I also checked the actuator was ok with a vac pump and again all was ok. I then noticed that the stop screw was loose and missing the locking nut. I fitted a locking nut and refitted the turbo, now here's where the problem starts.
When i started the car you can hear the turbo spooling up but there is a whine like a turbine slowing down and the car is smoking, when i drove it up the street I can hear the turbo but the car feels lik its being restricted and no power but not in limp mode. There is also a lot of smoke from the exhaust.
I have vcds but am a newbie so still trying to learn about it. Can anyone advise me on how to use vcds to check whats happening with the turbo or even check the turbo is set up correctly, or shed any light on what might be wrong.
many thanks in advance

zollaf
26-05-2016, 07:57 AM
so the car was ok but dropped into limp mode. you then stripped the turbo and now the cars not running right. can you post a pic of where you put this locknut ?

sully251
27-05-2016, 03:35 PM
hi mate, I didnt strip the turbo down I just removed it from the car to check the vnt was moving freely and that the actuator was working ok. it was then i noticed the stop screw was loose and the lock nut was missing. I fitted a new lock nut to the top side of the casting that the screw is threaded into. But I think the screw is incorrectly adjusted and causing the problem