PDA

View Full Version : Front Armrest...gap

Kestrel
22-05-2016, 09:38 AM
A few years ago I had a MK2 Skoda Superb with the same ratchet type armrest as in the current A4. I really missed it when I moved to another car. So I was delighted when I learned that the A4 has the same device.
But why-oh-why is there a permanent gap on the A4? On the Skoda, when the rest went fully down there was no gap!
Anyone got any thoughts on the design thinking behind the gap in the A4?

iambu
22-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Which gap are you referring to? You know the armrest can also slide forwards and backwards (horizontally)? Without going out to my car to check I can't remember if that still leaves a gap. By 'gap' I presume you mean you can still see into the storage area a bit?

Kestrel
22-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah, sorry for any confusion.
Unlike in the Skoda, in the A4 when the armrest is fully down and fully forward there is a gap into the storage area. Just cant understand the thinking behind that.

MarkBS
23-05-2016, 09:20 AM
You are not alone...mine is the same, really annoying! You'd think that for a car of this quality they would put an extra bit of travel on the armrest to close the gap.
Mark

ILikeJam
23-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah I'm really confused as to why that's there too. It's like they had left over parts from the A1 or something and just thought "It's too short but let's just use them anyway..."

I can only assume it's to allow easier access for cables to the USB etc ports in there while still having the device on the console somewhere, but it looks unsightly. Is there a contactless charger option that goes in there? Maybe it's to make inserting and removing a smartphone easier as well.

On my BMW the cover closes completely and still slides back and forth. There's also a little cutaway on the vertical side of the cubby that allows you to close it and have a cable running into it. Looks much better IMO

stevel1305
23-05-2016, 07:47 PM
You are not alone...mine is the same, really annoying! You'd think that for a car of this quality they would put an extra bit of travel on the armrest to close the gap.
Mark
So extreme was the quest to save weight that the Audi Engineers decided to leave out that little bit of extra travel!!

timj77
23-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Think gap is good idea as no need to keep moving armrest when connecting phone to CarPlay, just connect phone and drop in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJC_OK
03-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I assume it's so that potential thieves can see my phone is in the car, thus making their decision to break in a little bit easier :)