PDA

View Full Version : Parking sensors

Colh
22-05-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm currently negotiating the purchase of a new A4 Avant and can get one within the next 2 weeks, a 190 Sport Ultra which comes with the basic rear parking sensors.

I'm moving up in size from a Golf and I'm a little concerned at the lack of front sensors. Do I need to be concerned?

I could wait for a MY2017 which now comes with park assist plus, bit the dealer reckons he won't get one until late June when I need the big motor for a family trip. Is it worth waiting for and sorting alternate transport for my trip?

decisions decisions :confused::confused::confused:

garmcqui
22-05-2016, 10:28 AM
you can probably have the front parking sensors retrofitted.

There is an update coming already?

Colh
22-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Yeah, cars build from May have parking system plus as standard, but there's a £400 price increase which evens it out.

Im buying on PCP so not sure about making alterations.

Kestrel
22-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah, cars build from May have parking system plus as standard, but there's a £400 price increase which evens it out.

Im buying on PCP so not sure about making alterations.

I'm buying on a PCP too.
I made an alteration a month or so after the order went in.
It all depends on how long the factory has had your order, but more importantly how close it is to being built.
Fortunately for me I dont want the car until Sep 1st

Colh
22-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm buying thru carwow so any factory order for quick delivery would be nicking a fleet order. Not sure if they could customise at this late stage.

zollaf
22-05-2016, 08:56 PM
can you park a car without hitting something in front of you. if so, you dont need to worry about front parking sensors.

ILikeJam
23-05-2016, 11:12 AM
I'd agree with zollaf

I've got front parking sensors on our CR-V and I could probably count on my fingers how many times they've went off in the 14 months we've had it. Probably only twice have they actually been useful.

Nice to have (and will doubtless be the norm in the next couple of years) but largely pointless.

Kestrel
23-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I'd agree with zollaf

I've got front parking sensors on our CR-V and I could probably count on my fingers how many times they've went off in the 14 months we've had it. Probably only twice have they actually been useful.

Nice to have (and will doubtless be the norm in the next couple of years) but largely pointless.

Well I dont agree...I use mine every time I use the car. I drive into the garage and switch them on to prevent hitting the far wall...very useful.

zollaf
23-05-2016, 12:04 PM
when i have to drive a car with them fitted, i switch them off so i can drive into my garage without them squeeling all the time when i am 2 feet off a wall. i use my eyes instead and so far have never failed. in fact, most sensors are flat out in full panic mode when you are a good foot off a flat wall which is useless if you need to be an inch off it.

Colh
23-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the reality check!

I'd not had parking sensors until my wife's MK7 Golf had them and I think I've only had to use them once to get out of a parking space that had very little space to get out of.

I've got my order in for a 2016 A4 Avant 190 Ultra Sport in Ibis White today! Should get it within 3 weeks.

pyrochris
26-05-2016, 12:10 PM
when i have to drive a car with them fitted, i switch them off so i can drive into my garage without them squeeling all the time when i am 2 feet off a wall. i use my eyes instead and so far have never failed. in fact, most sensors are flat out in full panic mode when you are a good foot off a flat wall which is useless if you need to be an inch off it.

Unusual tip: for anyone who regularly forward parks their car into a dark garage without parking sensors... Suspend a tennis ball from the ceiling of the garage so that it just touches the windscreen when you are correctly parked. Voila. Drive in till you touch the ball. Works every time! (And people will always ask you... why do you have that tennis ball hanging in your garage!) :D

zollaf
26-05-2016, 01:31 PM
mates dad did this back in about 1980 something or other. was not happy when it didnt work and he drove into the far wall of his garage. he never did find out who moved the tennis ball though. i believe he went on to make a fortune inventing parking sensors.. :)

Vizen2
30-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Caught the front spoiler twice now, moved from a 3 Series and I do think the A4 is a bit longer, I'd have them fitted if I do had the choice