PDA

View Full Version : Pic Request. SEB Saloon Tungsten plus Oxford or Nivelles, help deciding

4NT
20-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Hello all, I'm looking to place my order soon for Passat SEB Saloon 2.0 150

I think I'm decided on Tungsten colour but would love to see a decent picture of one on upgrade wheels. :1zhelp:

I like the GT Oxford in 18's but another option is the Nivelles in 17 plus the sport suspension (cheaper option as I have to pay for any upgrades) I'd appreciate any help on this.

Also I'm going for Ambient lighting, I've seen in another thread this goes through the door strip and door release, does it also light up the exterior door handle like on BMW's I couldn't figure out from the website so if anyone has this option and could confirm please?

Many thanks!

fm_carv
20-05-2016, 06:48 PM
I have the tungsten silver. It's a very nice color. Ambient lighting doesn't lit up the exterior door handle.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/2c385a0cf4ecd04966eaf81b9faee70c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fm_carv
20-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Here's a few more picshttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/7a60f0637b6954765624d7e9b16abbf7.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/7f44e02ee55e1877d5931c3aee5e7e19.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/a8e138dfc13af3e9ce8b9cce1e3c4b93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4NT
21-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Thanks very much for sharing. That's lovely. In the snow picture it appears more silver but in the sun there's a hint of gold/beige, is this the same in person or just how the pic appears?

Again, lovely car.

MattB247
21-05-2016, 06:20 AM
Here's my new Tungsten R Line delivered yesterday in fact, with the 19's and sports suspension which doesn't firm up the ride but does drop it 15mm.

MattB247
21-05-2016, 06:21 AM
I ticked the debadging option too, I like the look.

4NT
21-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Thanks Matt. Looks ace, I only wish my list included GT or even R line, that's lovely. So is the sports suspension not even standard on R Line? In your opinion is there any beige/bronze to it?

Really struggling to find tungsten in the flesh to view.

Many thanks for sharing.

MattB247
21-05-2016, 07:04 AM
No, I'm afraid sports suspension is extra, it's not that much to be honest (about £240 with vat) but I just like the look. To be honest I love the car BUT I think VW skimped a bit on the standard kit on the Passat: I can get a £14000 Astra with Xenon headlights as standard, but they're an extra on the £31k Passat which I think is a bit tight!

I wandered around a few dealerships until I found a car in Tungsten, it's not that common which is why I like it. I've read that in certain lights it can look a little bronze-y but I have only had it a day so couldn't confirm! This post here shows the colour more:

UKpassats.co.uk • View topic - R-Line (http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=84849)

P Adams
21-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi 4NT

My tungsten silver GT saloon does have a warm, almost brown look to it in certain lights. We have had reflex silver Passats for the past three cars, but didn't want a dark car or a red one for our new B8. In the end we really liked the tungsten version of a CC we saw in the showroom before ordering last year. Tried a Harvard Blue demonstrator for a weekend and it looked filthy after only three trips in the rain!

I'll post some pics of it later this morning

4NT
21-05-2016, 08:14 AM
You'd expect an R Line to have sports suspension as standard surely, even a GT, I understand it being an option on all others however. Yep, xenons do seem to appear on lesser cars, but how else could they get people to by them other than loading them with toys, very ugly car IMO.

Thanks for the link I've just registered there so will get in and look.

Cheers

4NT
21-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks P Adams,

I was initially going for reflex but have also owned a number as its a good safe clean re saleable colour. I take your point ref dark colours, it's hard to keep cars clean with the absolutely nuts weather!

I think I may have seen a cc in tungsten yesterday whilst out walking my son (in his pushchair, 8 months yesterday), I hovered at the end of the driveway where it was parked then quickly moved on after realising I looked like I was casing to steal it.

I look forward to seeing the pics.

Thanks

P Adams
21-05-2016, 10:45 AM
30686306873068830689Pics as promised

4NT
21-05-2016, 10:54 AM
That's brilliant. Nice pictures. I think my mind is made up on the colour. Thanks for uploading the pics P Adams

MattB247
21-05-2016, 11:28 AM
It's a great colour - in certain lights it looks quite silver, and in others it looks quite grey or bronzed.

4NT
21-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Cheers Matt. I'll be going for it, just seen a Golf in it and as I passed the lines of the body seemed to flip the colour a little like a pearl finish.

Just need to figure out waiting times and if to wait for September registration now...

MattB247
21-05-2016, 04:49 PM
If you wait till Sep your car will be worth marginally more in years to come but your part exchange will be worth a bit less every month you put it off so it kinda balances out, but if you ordered now I think lead time would be about 2 months or so.

4NT
21-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Thanks Matt I agree, however I'm a company car driver so it's more vanity of what I think is a 66 plate than fiancial, my current car is nice so I can handle stalling for 4 weeks.

YawnGumbo
21-05-2016, 11:06 PM
I have the Nivelles alloys on my SEB estate and I have to say I think they look great - so much better than the standard wheels and I'm really pleased I went for the option especially as they are relatively cheap. I've got the standard urano grey paint which I think perhaps makes them better though - not sure what they'd be like against a paler colour.

4NT
22-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Thanks yawn gumbo, I agree about them looking better than the standard spoked wheels. I've only seen them on the configurator though, would you mind sharing pictures of yours? Also, did you go kensington espresso or black on the seats?

Thanks

YawnGumbo
22-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Here you go...30737

I went Kensington black as not keen on the other colours. I have to say I am really pleased with the car, and it is so much more comfy than my old A4!

4NT
22-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks very much for that. They look well, I was a bit concerned they'd be lost in the big arches but look nice, a lot better than the standard ones and only £100 upgrade.

I'm assuming the Titan black is black all the way over the seat and espresso means the middle base and back of each seat has that grey tan check pattern? I would like to see the seat of you have a pic and wouldn't mind? The VW configurator doesn't really show it well enough.

Thanks.

YawnGumbo
22-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Pic attached. Titan black is the grey check (if you want to see one in the flesh then pretty much all SEB Passats in showrooms that I've seen have this cloth). I would assume espresso would be brown with a brown check pattern.

4NT
22-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Brill, thanks for that. Yes that pattern is familiar and I think it looks well with the contrast stitch. I was wondering if there was a totally black trim as when you build it on configurator it defaults to the espresso.

Again thanks for sharing.

MattB247
06-06-2016, 09:26 PM

There you go - turns bronze in certain lights, looks great!

4NT
07-06-2016, 04:24 AM
Looks really nice! I've still not seen one in the flesh, the only tungsten I've found at dealer was a new Tiguan, sun was out so I could see all the shades on the creases and shapes of the car, really great colour. Order has been placed. Just a 14 week wait now!

MattB247
07-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Good choice - that's why I like the colour: you don't see it around much.

4NT
07-06-2016, 05:40 AM
P Adams, does your car have sport suspension? Cheers

MattB247
07-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Mine has - see pic above.

4NT
07-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Yes, which I think is a must on the R, but what you also have are 19's and deeper bumpers plus skirts so it's hard to see how an SEB will look.

Also merc have delivered me a 65 plate C class, it's confirmed for me I've done the right thing going back to VAG!

MattB247
07-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Yes I see what you mean - the R does have the deeper skirts and the 19's do fill the arches. On a functionality viewpoint, it handles really tight and well but isn't harsh at all so I think it's a good option to go for.

4NT
07-06-2016, 07:41 AM
I wish it was an option for 19's but this time around my company have really limited model choice previously most/all cars were top line. Such is life. I had an A4 S line and the ride was just firm enough so hoping it will be similar on Passat, however last time our BM was in we had a 3 M Sport and it was awful, totally rock hard and crashy. Big decision for me as it 48 month term.

MattB247
07-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Mine isn't crashy at all, and if you thought an A4 S Line - with its legendarily rock hard suspension - was ok then you'll think the Passat is a sofa lol

P Adams
07-06-2016, 10:52 PM
P Adams, does your car have sport suspension? Cheers

Hi

No, my GT saloon doesn't have sports suspension but does have DCC (dynamic chassis control) and I find it very useful for my varying trip to work and differing surfaces we drive at weekends. We had a new B5 saloon for 13 years and that had sports suspension though ;-)

4NT
08-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Thanks Matt and P Adams, P Adams I just thought yours actually sat quite well and trying to work out how 15mm will appear and the difference it will make. Matt, We've got an 8 month old and if the suspension was more m sport than s line id have had to re order! Thanks guys

P Adams
08-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks Matt and P Adams, P Adams I just thought yours actually sat quite well and trying to work out how 15mm will appear and the difference it will make. Matt, We've got an 8 month old and if the suspension was more m sport than s line id have had to re order! Thanks guys

Hi 4NT

Yes, I'm more than happy with the way the car sits with the GT Oxford alloys and I was advised by a good friend who is a VW MD that the ride with the 18" tyres would be great. I was slightly worried, as I was coming from a 2006 B6 saloon with 16" wheels which was very comfortable!

My wife has a new B7 Highline saloon with 17" alloys and standard suspension and the ride in that is good as well, although obviously not as good as my B8. She was used to driving the B5 saloon we had with 16" alloys and sports suspension so she is more than happy with her car.

I've heard that the sports suspension on the B8 is very good but we didn't test drive any cars with this option. And anyway, I was only allowed the top LED lights and DCC by my good lady ;-)

4NT
08-06-2016, 07:53 PM
I honestly thought your GT had the sport suspension. Now I'm wondering if I even actually need it as an option.

If I'm reading it right from the car history your wife will get a B9 and you a B10, quite the family car for your family. Sounds like the Mrs allowed you to get some nice extras though.

I've currently got issues with the people at lease plan, I've ordered ambient lighting plus and according to the website and their system it doesn't exist! VW have confirmed it does but they don't know how to order it. I just want my new car now the decision has been made.

P Adams
08-06-2016, 08:54 PM
I honestly thought your GT had the sport suspension. Now I'm wondering if I even actually need it as an option.

If I'm reading it right from the car history your wife will get a B9 and you a B10, quite the family car for your family. Sounds like the Mrs allowed you to get some nice extras though.

I've currently got issues with the people at lease plan, I've ordered ambient lighting plus and according to the website and their system it doesn't exist! VW have confirmed it does but they don't know how to order it. I just want my new car now the decision has been made.

Yes she is pretty good! I did want the Discover Pro and the Dynaudio speakers, as my other hobby is home cinema and hifi so I can appreciate the upgrade in sound and vision. But when we tried a demonstrator with those updates against the standard Discover Navigation in the GT, it wasn't the huge leap in quality that I thought it would be, especially as I wanted the LEDs etc.

The ambient lighting is superb, so if you do get this then all the better. Yes we are Passat people since 1998. When we looked at a few high spec new Golf tdi's last year prior to getting my B8 even my VW director pal said knowing me I'd be much happier in a B8.

My wife loves her B7 and after having it from new for 3 years won't drive mine! I still like the B7 but what a difference in ride quality and cornering the B8 has, even on the standard demonstrator we tried. You'll be happy with whatever you end up with.

4NT
12-06-2016, 05:33 AM
So the order is in and done, the sticking point on the apparently non existent ambient plus is sorted so will now have that with an led lit dash as well as in the doors, will post pics in sept.

Glad to hear you mention that ref the dynaudio P Adams as I just couldn't spend the upgrade fee on that, I've had Bose, HK, and other premium upgrades over the years and noticed more recent cars particularly my merc stock systems really have improved, hoping this is true of the B8 also, keen to know about the plug and play sub in spare wheel well though, I had a Mazda 6 courtesy car from a body shop a while ago that had similar and it was amazing sound, had to go under the boot trim to see what on earth it was!

Led would've been nice but I've spent about 1100 on the bits on mine so putting any more on a car that I actually do not own would again be that bit too much, I will however go for canbus led DRL as can't believe they are running old tech bulbs...

One more thing I have to mention before I wrap up (sorry I'm waffling but this is an annoying one), what on earth were VW doing not putting digital climate in SEB version!? There's front and rear assist, nav, adaptive cruise, dark glass and then old hat air con where you turn a knob between a red and blue line and hope for the temp you want!! Really odd.

Anyway rant over ref air con.

Thanks for advice and comments from all.

Cheers.

Ant.

P Adams
12-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Well done Ant

I know what you mean buy not adding too much if you don't actually own the car. I certainly wouldn't have added the LED lights if it had been a company car! I don't know about the plug and play sub but know how much a difference the great Monitor Audio sub makes in our home cinema room. So it probably goes without saying the VW sub would help fill out the overall sound.

Look forward to seeing the pics of your car