PDA

View Full Version : A3 Heated mirrors

SimonPopp
15-10-2007, 07:21 PM
My 1999 A3 1.8T sport has heated mirrors, they seem to be on all of the time and i can't find a switch anywhere.
Is this normal???? They get very hot, seems pointless them being on all of the time, they have a blue tint to they mirror.

Ta for any input

Simon

paul b
15-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Simon
The owners manual for my A6 reckons that they are automatic and turn on when needed. I wouldn't worry, it won't damage anything.
Paul

jeffers999
17-10-2007, 10:25 AM
yea mine are the same on my s3 they turn on when its below a certain temp ..

Space Cadet
17-10-2007, 12:11 PM
On my 2005 A3 3.2 the button that adjusts the electric mirrors has three positions – left (obviously for the left mirror) right (ditto) but in between there is a middle position with a little illegible diagram. When put in the middle position it heats up the mirrors to clear ice etc.

You haven’t perhaps just left the button in the middle position have you?

It just means that you have to leave the button in the right or left position all the time – not that that obviously matters.

paul b
17-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Space cadet is right, but some models don't have the adjustment. My A6 doesn't, but if I decode the option codes in the front of the log book thing, it tells me it has heated mirrors. I knew that though anyway because I saw wires going to the mirrors when I replaced the mirrors and added chrome mirrors to it.
Paul

SimonPopp
18-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I have no adjustment, read book and it says the mirrors heat when ignition is on - so i guess they are on all of the time, even when it's warm.

Seems odd.

Thanks for answers

sukrw
18-10-2007, 09:29 PM
ah this is interesting, I have an A3 (2007) and mine has the 3 positions you mention - the middle one having the little heater symbol.

I assumed that they came on when the heated rear window button was on.

I will check over the next couple of days and see if they do indeed come on a. all the time, b. just when it is cold or c. just when the heated rear is activated.

Suppose I could also just read the handbook ;-)

Sukrw.

sukrw
18-10-2007, 09:57 PM
ok it was easier to just read my handbook - and this is the answer from an A3 - 2007 handbook.

Quote:

"the mirrors are heated depending on the outside temperature and vehicle speed until the ignition switch is switched off, even if the knob is no longer in position 0"

position 0 being the middle setting on the mirrors direction (i.e. not left and not right).

Hope this helps a little ?

Clever those audi people !

Sukrw.

1staudiA3
22-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi there

I have an A3 1.8 Turbo My heated mirrors dont work at all if it does its only the passenger side mirror not the dirvers?

?????

ashleytinman
23-10-2007, 07:06 PM
same here havent decided what to do with mine yet i think check that all the wires are in the correct place first and then go from there.

loki
24-10-2007, 09:58 PM
The previous owner of my '99 A3 fitted chrome mirrors without any wiring. I've just spent all afternoon figuring out which wire does what and attempting to connect them up. The mirrors were full of black sealant and I've had to seal them back up just to get the mirror to stay on. Hopefully they will work, if not I will be a little miff!

I really like the look of the chrome mirrors but they are sooo expensive to replace. All the mirrors I've seen are hundreds of pounds. I really hope my fix works as it could be very expensive to get new ones!

paul b
02-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Loki, have you tried e-bay? I got some genuine ones for my A6 for £95.
Paul

loki
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Loki, have you tried e-bay? I got some genuine ones for my A6 for £95.
Paul

Yep looking all the time, only seems to be aftermarket ones or just the covers rather than the whole mirror. Hopefully I'll get lucky and there'll be whole mirrors

paul b
04-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Good Luck!