PDA

View Full Version : electric window fault

vw_craig
15-10-2007, 06:26 PM
hello

recently upgraded my 1.9 dl golf to a 5 door 1.9 tdi gl. so i dont have much experience with electrics. the rear driver side window will not work at all. when you press the button front or on the door itself all you here is a sound of say the relay switching but nothing moves....

any ideas??

am i looking at a new motor and so on??

thanks in advance

gingerwizard
15-10-2007, 08:18 PM
hi
check the loom between the door and the b pillar, the wires break there, its a very common problem

vw_craig
18-10-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks, i checked the switch and also the loom between the door and the car body where the round plug connectos to the car wiring. door side seemed to be fine. going to check the car body side to see if anything has come away there. but there is some power going over as both speakers work and you can here the window motor/relay clicking as you press the button to operate the window......

masters1977
19-10-2007, 01:33 AM
I Had A Problem Where The Door Spring U Know The Bit Bit That Keeps The Door From Swinging Of Its Hinges Had Become Loose.. The Bit Inside The Door Had Caught The Window Itself So The Window Did Not Budge At All.. Was Completely Stcuck.. So Much So Infact That All My Pulling And The Pushing Of The Window And Pressing Of The Button Forced The Window To Shatter..

Did Not Realise What The Prob Was Ofcourse Untill I Came To Rplace The Window.. In The End I Just Removed The Spring Altogether Has Been Fine Ever Since.

vw_craig
19-10-2007, 01:13 PM
thanks im in the middle of checking those things now...

meanwhile, i have checked it wasnt the switch and when i took the passenger switch out to check it wasnt that it now wont work via the door switch only the control switch on the dash.....any ideas??

the switches all work as checked on the front window loom.......

its gonna be a long weekend

vw_craig
19-10-2007, 04:38 PM
:biglaugh:

great news, after taking half the interior out and tracing the wires from the main relays and fuse box, ive managed to get the window working!! played with the wires to check for breaks all the way. took the door connecting pins out checked all connections. as i was going along wd40 all joins. got into door and took all connections off the motor, checked them, wd40, put back together, wd40 the rails and tried to shift the glass manually incase it was stuck. invidually tried it with only certain wires connected to door loom and so on. basically went through all possiblities of a short and so on. gave the motor a smack with a hammer and left it for 15 min. thought id give it a try to see if i could still here a relay clicking in the door and after a clank the window moved fully and closed!! fantastic.....dunno exac where the prob was but something i did fixed it. so thanks for the help guys!!

so its working from the dash console but not from the personal door button. i know the button works cos i checked it. the little green light doesnt come on in the button when on this circuit. any ideas for getting the personal button to work?? i can live with that but may try and find out why. the main thing is its working!! time to put the car back together and get onto the next job......

vw_craig
19-10-2007, 06:03 PM
got all the personal door switches working in the rear now, now lights working on them and cuts all over my hands but small price to pay to actually having them work!!