PDA

View Full Version : A6FUEL GAUGE

salty
11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
HELLO ALL A6 SE 1.9 TD FUEL GAUGE WORKS FINE ABOVE HALF BUT WHEN NEEDLE DROPS JUST BELOW HALF WAY IT FALLS TO EMPTY AND LOW FUEL WARNING COMES ON ANY SUGESSTIONS
SALTY(mike):1zhelp:

stuart
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi

Could be a faulty fuel tank sender/float assy in the fuel tank.

Stuart

john_garrard
01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi

I had the same problem - ran out of petrol a few times as guage shot from 1/2 full to empty in less then a few miles. After several false diagnosis from Audi guarage ( replaced part of dash) they finally replaced fuel senders. First time they damaged it, so had to return for second attempt. Also managed to drain fuel tank completely and not replace petrol!

Had argument regarding costs - they stated not covered by warrantee - but eventually accepted that fuel was an integral part of any engine and did it for free!

Cheers

John

PapaG
01-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi,
I have similar problem with my A6 1.9 TDI. Switch on sometimes & low fuel warning starts up. There seems to be a problem with sensitivity to emissions from other electrical devices also. Took it through a car wash the other day, left the ignition on & the fuel guage went mental as I passed through the wash. Took about 2 days to settle down again but no false alarms since.
Cheers,
PapaG

A6 Le Mans
03-09-2006, 11:48 PM
HELLO ALL A6 SE 1.9 TD FUEL GAUGE WORKS FINE ABOVE HALF BUT WHEN NEEDLE DROPS JUST BELOW HALF WAY IT FALLS TO EMPTY AND LOW FUEL WARNING COMES ON ANY SUGESSTIONS
SALTY(mike):1zhelp:

From what little I know, the tank has up to three, (multiple), senders which ultimately give the fuel quantity reading to the fuel guage. This is because of the nature of the unsymetrical shape of the tank and thus more than one sender unit is required to pass the correct quantity reading to the guage. I guess some clever bit of electrical wizidry somewhere looks at the readings from all tank sender units and is thus able to compute the fuel quantity remaining in the tank. If one of these senders is duff, and I would suspect the one at the lowest part of the tank, then this may be your problem. However, don't take my word for it, but I have read of similar problems and I believe this was the cause.

For what its worth

Mike:Blush:

salty
18-09-2006, 09:49 PM
From what little I know, the tank has up to three, (multiple), senders which ultimately give the fuel quantity reading to the fuel guage. This is because of the nature of the unsymetrical shape of the tank and thus more than one sender unit is required to pass the correct quantity reading to the guage. I guess some clever bit of electrical wizidry somewhere looks at the readings from all tank sender units and is thus able to compute the fuel quantity remaining in the tank. If one of these senders is duff, and I would suspect the one at the lowest part of the tank, then this may be your problem. However, don't take my word for it, but I have read of similar problems and I believe this was the cause.

For what its worth

Mike:Blush:
thanks you have been a great help i now know where to start looking mike