PDA

View Full Version : Q7 first drive - dilemma!

Gyro
16-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Myself and the family had a 272 S Line out for most of yesterday on a test drive. Very, very impressed, and a massive difference over the previous generation Q7.

Perhaps stating the obvious here but the interior space is amazing, being a tall family (me 6'8", the wife 6'1", a 5 YO who's the height of a 10 YO and an 18 MO who is in age 3-4 clothes :aargh4:), this is really important, I can get the driver's seat all the way back with either of the kids behind me which is a big bonus! Similarly in the passenger side, I can get my legs stretched fully, so happy days there too. Found the third row of seats better than expected, daughter fitted in there in her booster seat quite comfortably, plus an added bonus was that we could barely hear her whinging about being bored, she was that far back!

The ride was out of this world, on a par with a RR Vogue IMO, think this may be the adaptive air suspension that was fitted to the demo, plus it was on the standard 20" rims. I'm also used to the M sport suspension and runflats on the X5 which is pretty awful in comparison. Very smooth and quiet too.

Virtual cockpit is better than I thought, a no brainer to have IMO - even the wife who is very disinterested in options/gadgets in the car loved it.

Cabin, very well made as you would expect and a pleasure to sit in, all in all a very positive experience.

No onto the dilemma. I was amazed at how well the car pulls, really amazed. It didn't feel far off the X5, which has 100 BHP and 150 Nm more, which got me thinking, do I really need the SQ7. I think I know the answer, but that 272 engine is brilliant and saving a five-figure sum is quite appealing but I just know that if I went for it over an SQ7, there would come a time when an SQ7 pulled up next to me at the lights and I would be kicking myself. Another thing I thought about was depreciation - I'm not sure how well an SQ7 will hold its value over a 272 S Line. My X5 M50d has depreciated way more than a standard X5, and I'm thinking that the same may happen with the SQ7 being as it is a big powerful thirsty SUV. Having said all of that, I just know how big a smile it would put on my face, and I read somewhere that "S" cars tend to hold their value pretty well. Certainly my previous standard Q7 did.

Last paragraph reads a bit self-indulgent, apologies:Blush2:

satyp
16-05-2016, 08:50 AM
I personally think retention valuation is a grey territory most of the time what with GLASS/GAP not being an exacting methodology from year to year for the same model.

I think between the retention say the 218/272/Sq7 is obviously relative to the initial price.

My point I guess is people would easily percieve the 272 or SQ7 to hold more value over the 218 for eg because they've paid more so when come to sell they`ll expect and get more. But the actual “retention” would the same accross all three models. i.e so in reality you would just probably get a 1000 difference between each of the models with the SQ7 which you would have paid the most for the same set of features coming out on top.

Dealers tebd to make matters worse by saying that you get more retebtion on a 272 over a 218b engine, when in reality it`s just that 272 (higher powered engine) is just a more popluar engine.

I would base the decision more on whether you will be happy with a more powerful engine in the long run and taxing/running cost etc

Hope it helpz

👍

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

satyp
16-05-2016, 08:55 AM
& There will always be ever more powering engines coming out tempting us to part with the cash time and time again and keeping (Audi) happy ☺ in this case

srbsq7
16-05-2016, 09:14 AM
It's great to hear your feedback on the 272 S Line with the standard 20" wheels and air suspension. My previous car was the 40d M Sport and the family were fed up with hard ride, so with this order I put ride quality as the main requirement. The car I had on the test was on the steel springs and that was amazing in comparison. Hopefully I'll get to experience it first hand this weekend if it makes it in time.

Tough decision you've got. For me, I'd rather have the fully loaded 272 than the SQ7. If my budget was bigger, I'd probably be tempted with the SQ7! What is the price difference between the two with the options you want? Be interesting to see if the dealers are as willing to heavily discount the SQ7 too if the demand is high.

The sensible option is probably a Kia Sedona, so probably best not asking any of us for advice!

satyp
16-05-2016, 09:25 AM
It's great to hear your feedback on the 272 S Line with the standard 20" wheels and air suspension. My previous car was the 40d M Sport and the family were fed up with hard ride, so with this order I put ride quality as the main requirement. The car I had on the test was on the steel springs and that was amazing in comparison. Hopefully I'll get to experience it first hand this weekend if it makes it in time.

Tough decision you've got. For me, I'd rather have the fully loaded 272 than the SQ7. If my budget was bigger, I'd probably be tempted with the SQ7! What is the price difference between the two with the options you want? Be interesting to see if the dealers are as willing to heavily discount the SQ7 too if the demand is high.

The sensible option is probably a Kia Sedona, so probably best not asking any of us for advice!
Lol hah haa ,Totally agree..

why have that before!..

satyp
16-05-2016, 09:27 AM
We did actually test drive 🚗 tge Kia and all heh.. discounts wasn't there and monthly was`nt as attractive which was the deciding factor ;-😃

A7_UFO
16-05-2016, 10:21 AM
all depends how much consideration there has to be for budget. If I could afford to buy and run the SQ7....I'd buy the SQ7. Unfortunately, my budget only stretched to the 272 S-line with a limited amount of options. That being said, I'm loving what I've got.

chrisjerman
16-05-2016, 10:33 AM
The SQ5's really held there money very very well for the first couple of years post launch , in fact it was very hard to find a 2nd hand one advertised for less than the starting price of a new one , they have come down now , so I think it depends on when you plan on changing , if keeping it for just a couple of years I doubt you will lose anymore on it than if you had a cheaper 272ps one thus cost of ownership being equal but a bigger smile on your face . If keeping longer , once there is a reasonable supply of 2nd hand sq7's about you probably will lose more in terms of pound notes but similar in terms of percentage to the standard q7's .
Of course the residuals of the SQ7's may have been the novelty factor of being the first S suv from audi and the same may not carry over to the bigger q7 , I think the old v12 q7 lost a huge amount of money given the crazy high new price but then it was barely any quicker than the 4.2 tdi , this time the sq7 has quite reasonable mpg for a lot of speed , the Co2 is broadly simialr to the outgoing standard 3.0 tdi which will help residuals even though it's crazy to spend 70k on a car and then worry about fuel economy !

Nemo78
16-05-2016, 09:57 PM
I don't want to dampen any residuals theory but in year 1 (heck in 6months) I know my car (original one) had taken a £15k hit list vs back on forecourt.

I know year one is always a heavy knock but boy it's one heck of a knock!

For me I'd happily go SQ7 but seeing it's starting tag is £71k and I bet I could still add £10k in options that's one mouthwatering number (would also need a big lotto win to enable it) [emoji5]

Lovely dilemma to have tho

Gyro
17-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks all for your replies folk. I spec'd up a 272 S Line on the PC and managed to get it up to £69k very quickly, but I reckon I could get that down by taking out things like Matrix lights etc. Also, some of the things I want come in packs with other stuff I'm not fussed about, for instance I want virtual cockpit but I'm not bothered about HUD etc. that comes within the pack, so I'd look to spec that on it's own. Similarly with other options too. The SQ7 has virtual cockpit, full leather, and adaptive air suspension as standard (I think), all of which would be on my options list for the 272 S Line, so there's a saving there (not sure if "saving" is the right word but you get my meaning!). If I go down the SQ7 route, there would have the to be a reigning in of the options as I can't afford to go for that car and have a big list of options. The "V8 T" badge on the front wings would hopefully make up for the lack of gadgetry though. I'm not too fussed about MPG to be honest and I've decided that I'll be taking the car on a PCP so depreciation shouldn't come into it as I'll probably keep it for the full term or trade it in close to the full term. The GMFV/residuals for the standard Q7 looks good so hopefully it should be OK.

As for the Kia option, that would actually be a possibility if my circumstances were different. I live in Edinburgh but work in Aberdeen Monday to Thursday (work at home on Fridays), so I need something economical to drive up and down the A90 - hence the Passat. The wife drives the big car on the school run and on various jaunts to meet friends for lunch etc., and generally spending my hard earned! If I worked in Edinburgh the wife would have a Kia Sorrento or similar and I'd have something more RS-shaped!!! Anyway...

Got my dealer calling me as soon as the order book opens on the SQ7 so I'm still going to keep an open mind. The only potential fly in the ointment is the trade in value of my X5, which I suspect may be in -ve equity. I can voluntary terminate it but I suspect that will be a long drawn-out affair with BMW chasing me to pay ridiculous amounts for every tiny stone chips etc. On that subject, has anyone ever done a VT? Maybe needs a new thread...in any case my preference would be to trad eit in as it's much cleaner and less hassle that way.

Cheers
G

NickTyler
17-05-2016, 01:39 PM
do I really need the SQ7. I just know there would come a time when an SQ7 pulled up next to me at the lights and I would be kicking myself.

Slight edit to your sentence but you answered your own question...

Gyro
17-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Slight edit to your sentence but you answered your own question...

I think you might be right...

srbsq7
17-05-2016, 05:35 PM
You only live once! I'm starting to wish I was getting one!

Audi SQ7 | First Drive | Autocar India - YouTube (https://youtu.be/XDkXfl_nF0Y)

Gyro
17-05-2016, 05:53 PM
You only live once! I'm starting to wish I was getting one!

Audi SQ7 | First Drive | Autocar India - YouTube (https://youtu.be/XDkXfl_nF0Y)

Too true but it's not a done deal yet! Depends on the deal and trade in value I get for the X5. I'm dealing with Edinburgh Audi but apparently Aberdeen Audi are going to be doing some cracking deals this summer. They' shift the most cars of any dealership in Europe (apprently) but with the downturn in the oil industry they're really struggling to hit their targets so will be really pushing the deals. Having said that one of the guys on here is travelling quite a distance to get his Q7 from Edinburgh so they may be OK. Dealer told me there will be no deposit contribution or deals on the SQ7 as its a new model so I'm not holding my breath for orange wheels or drive the deal with it being a new model. We'll see though! I've been a bit daft by showing the dealer how keen I am but like the Warren Zevon song, I'm an excitable boy...

pitch3110
17-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Gyro, for me they have been a great bunch to deal with.

I was put in touch with them by a pal who lives in Edinburgh and the first conversation they confirmed 'we will not be beaten on price' and they were true to their word. You know how far away I live and no one around here could touch them.

Not sure who you have chatted with but I could not recommend the sales guy I have been dealing with enough.

Decisions, decisions...........lov 'em.

Pitch

hash67
17-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Hi I did a VT with Audi finance in december on a A7 bitdi that had one 40k in 2.3 years, totally painless, audi could not make it any easier, no excess mileage charge, car was perfect condition wise and was offered finance on a new car without question.

thanks

hash

satyp
17-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Same here done a VT 2.6 yrs into it VWFS agreement, settled it sold privately so I could pump the gain from (i.e, instead of bigger loss by part-ex to dealer) the equity profit into new car..

VWFS reworked the settlement figure.. Which would ALWAYS works out better at the END of the 3 yr (GFV) figure. But I wasn't bothered as I got some interest rebate + the 700 pounds for GOODWILL ..

Happy ☺ days!..

.. as @hash67 says... Was quite straight forward the dealer does all the hardwork if they want your custom bad enough

andyhud007
21-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Just my 2p only from where I'm coming from but I love the 272 S-Line. It pulls great. Now I've had the ABT AEC Unit fitted (as per other thread) the pull is even more immense, especially in Sport mode. No idea what it feels in an SQ7 as never driven one but that is always another option I suppose you could look into?

Just my random thoughts, thats where my level of expertise comes to an end sadly...