PDA

View Full Version : RNS 510 Navigation Gone Mad

LindsayD
13-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi everybody, this is my first post on the forum and I would be very grateful for any advice. I have tried to search for similar problems but I haven't found anything relevant.

I have a 2008 Tiguan Sport4M fitted with the RNS 510. Over the last few months this has developed an intermittent navigation problem which is now constant. In brief, the satnav appears to have no idea where I am and if I set a route it will guide me off-road across fields or perhaps into the sea - it will not at any point recover to complete the journey correctly. No amount of resetting will resolve the problem. The separate satnav readout on the dashboard is similarly affected. I have not carried out any modifications or software upgrades.

I had a word with my local garage and they said that they felt the problem was with the dashboard binnacle and quoted a hair raising price for replacement or repair. I am instead wondering if it is a fault limited to the RNS 510 which could be resolved in a less costly way. I would appreciate any opinions.

I'm thinking that, initially at least, I should try to rule out a problem with the antenna or with the connection between the unit and the antenna. If that is worth doing then any thoughts on that would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance,
Lindsay

Crasher
13-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Usually this is a faulty GPS aerial, it is possible to check this using a diagnostic computer.

LindsayD
13-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Thank you Crasher - I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but would I need to take the car to an authorised VW dealership to have this diagnosed or could any workshop do it?

Crasher
13-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Someone with VCDS (VAG-COM) or VAS PC such as a VAG experienced independent.

LindsayD
13-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Thank you, I'll get it tested and will report back with the diagnosis.

Marley_tiguan09
07-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Thank you, I'll get it tested and will report back with the diagnosis.

Did you fix your navigation system? I have the same problem on my 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk