PDA

View Full Version : Avon tyres

ismart
12-05-2016, 04:40 PM
My front tyres are coming close to renewal time having now done over 26k in the B8. Looking at the ratings it seems Avon tyres are quieter, better in the wet and much cheaper than the standard 215/55 R17 Continentals.

Does anyone have experience of the Avons, are they really a better tyre?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itavaltalainen
12-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Avons are relatively cheap. Which continentals did you have fitted - Sport contact 5?
Go for Goodyear Eagle F1, they are better than the contis. Dunlop sport maxx rt are decent too, but a bit quick to wear.
Pirelli P7 are quite hard and noisy, I would not go for them again. If you want a cheaper but good brand look at Nokian zLine - they are excellent. Have transformed my brothers Citroen once - they were better than the michelins it came with.

I had Avon winter tyres once, they were OK but next time round it'll be Nokian or Michelin winter tyres.

This experience is based on a mk7 golf estate (2.0tdi) in 225 45 17 but your size should be similar.

ismart
13-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Mine are eco contact. The Dunlops look like they have good ratings especially the 67db noise rating.

dghdgh
13-05-2016, 12:46 PM
To be fair your driving style and needs are a major influence on what tyres you should go for. The tyre review sites give a guide but at the end of the day budget will always come into the picture. I get discount codes through every now and again from tyre traders, I think, and will gladly pass them on to you if still need them when I get one.
But I would always advise to get the best possible tyres, both wet and dry grip, as your budget can take. After all the rubber on the rims is the only think keeping you on the road at 70 mph!
I personally would never touch Avon tyres based on experience and reviews.

ismart
14-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks for voucher offer, please let me know if one comes along. My prioities are wet grip followed by quietness, The current contis seem a bit loud but are fine in all other areas for my needs. So far it seems that good year efficient grip performance fits my criteria.

dghdgh
14-05-2016, 02:46 PM
30662This one has just expired but might work I think you could also try going via topcashback at the same time. It was mytyres not the site I mentioned prior, these ar part of national tyres I believe. If any more come around I will give you a shout.

stephenwhite990
24-05-2016, 06:57 AM
I have put avons on my car all round and they seem to have worn down very quickly , i wont be using them again .

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk