PDA

View Full Version : '03 Ibiza 1.4 16v - faulty coolant temp sensor

Sam
15-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Engine light has come on and I've scanned for faults and the signal to the CTS is low.

I reset the engine light and it came on again after 50 miles. I checked the faults once again and got the same fault code - proving that it is definitely faulty.

I've located the CTS in the engine bay (it's the wife's car, I'm not normally allowed to touch it), found a price for a new one but still have one last question before I attack it.

It doesn't look the easiest place to get to (right hand side of the engine underneath a lot of wiring and to the left of the top rad hose). I presume when I pull the horseshoe clip and remove the sensor that coolant/water will pour out and due to the stupid design it'll take me a while to get the new one in place.

Anyone have any experience with this or have any pointers other than work on the engine when it's cool and replace the seal at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Sam
18-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Tsk, all that time I spend helping other people ..... :p

Sam
05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
10 minute job, 5 if you have really small hands.

Old sensor out, coolant out (less than a litre lost), finger in to find old seal, put new seal on new sensor and put them both in. Top up coolant.

Clear codes and reset warning light.

Job done.

bora(ing) nick
05-11-2007, 05:02 PM
So Sam...... you spent 2 weeks planning a 10 minute job??? :D

Maybe you should turn this into a "how to". ;)

Nick

Sam
06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
So Sam...... you spent 2 weeks planning a 10 minute job??? :D

Maybe you should turn this into a "how to". ;)

Nick

<laughing>

I found the fault code, ordered the part then worked for 20 days out of 21 :p

I had a few spare minutes this weekend so just did it. Couldn't have been easier. A "how to" might be handy, the engine is the same across the VAG range.

bora(ing) nick
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
......... then worked for 20 days out of 21 :p

Fair play to ya! what do you do Sam?

Nick

Sam
06-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Fair play to ya! what do you do Sam?

Nick

Legal stuff ;)

bora(ing) nick
06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Legal stuff ;)

Nuff said!!

LOL, i nearly wrote about the legality of excessive working in my last post.....

I was going to say;

In my industry (mechanical and electrical contracting,) it's illegal to to work more than 12 consecutive days. There must be at leaset a 2 day (48 hour) break in between any 2, 12 day runs.

So i couldn't work 20 out of 21 days if i wanted too (even though i've signed an opt out clause.)

Nick

Sam
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Nuff said!!

LOL, i nearly wrote about the legality of excessive working in my last post.....

I was going to say;

In my industry (mechanical and electrical contracting,) it's illegal to to work more than 12 consecutive days. There must be at leaset a 2 day (48 hour) break in between any 2, 12 day runs.

So i couldn't work 20 out of 21 days if i wanted too (even though i've signed an opt out clause.)

Nick

Same laws govern my field too. But if you don't put in the time, things don't get done and rewards are never seen.

<taps side of nose>

onzarob
06-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Tsk, all that time I spend helping other people ..... :p

Have you tried your local dealer:blackeye::biglaugh:

Sam
06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Have you tried your local dealer:blackeye::biglaugh:

Haha!

They wanted £40.xx for the part and more for labour.

VAG Parts sorted me out for half the price