PDA

View Full Version : Passat value - 196k mileage?

wid77
15-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi,

I have been offered a 2000 X Passat Saloon SE 115TDi. I know the owner and she has had it from new. She has completed 196k miles in the car and she is now selling it. Mr question is, how much would you pay? I realise that it is very difficult without seeing the car but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I knoow these cars can do big mileages but is nearly 200k getting very close to the end of it's life? Are there potentially big bills around the corner? Are there some items, i.e. suspension, which may need to have been changed?

The car drives ok but you can tell it has done the mileage, although it was all mainly on the motorway. It has a full service history but not VW for the last 50k miles. The climate control has been disconnected as the compressor packed up. The interior is in good nick. The exterior has stone ships and 2 dents which i could live with. The car has just been MOT'd.

She wants £1500 for it. I telephoned a local VW independent garage and he said, 'wouldn't pay half that for it mate' but he wasn't really interested in helping as he didn't even ask the model or whether it was petrol or diesel. He also quoted £700 to fix the climate control which is obviously too much.

My wife is thinking of buying it and she would only do about 6k miles a year in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wid77

Sam
15-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Starting with the bigger jobs - It should have had at least three timing belt changes by now. The control arms are notoriously ropey on the early models but you could have either the end of the B5s or beginning of the B5.5s or a mixture of the two.

Replacement of the arms is straightforward, getting the pinchbolts out isn't.

You may find that just getting under the car to tighten subframe bolts and suspension components will have a positive effect on the ride.

Big bills all depend on how it has been maintained and what has been done already, with an almost full VWSH you should be ok.

I've seen B5s with 300,000+ miles, and there's an interesting thread on clubb5.com (currently down) with a list of high mileage Passats and related problems.

If you have to have one, there are better ones out there. But if you only have £1,500 to spend, it wouldn't be a bad investment.

Hex69
18-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I have been offered a 2000 X Passat Saloon SE 115TDi. I know the owner and she has had it from new. She has completed 196k miles in the car and she is now selling it. Mr question is, how much would you pay? I realise that it is very difficult without seeing the car but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I knoow these cars can do big mileages but is nearly 200k getting very close to the end of it's life? Are there potentially big bills around the corner? Are there some items, i.e. suspension, which may need to have been changed?

The car drives ok but you can tell it has done the mileage, although it was all mainly on the motorway. It has a full service history but not VW for the last 50k miles. The climate control has been disconnected as the compressor packed up. The interior is in good nick. The exterior has stone ships and 2 dents which i could live with. The car has just been MOT'd.

She wants £1500 for it. I telephoned a local VW independent garage and he said, 'wouldn't pay half that for it mate' but he wasn't really interested in helping as he didn't even ask the model or whether it was petrol or diesel. He also quoted £700 to fix the climate control which is obviously too much.

My wife is thinking of buying it and she would only do about 6k miles a year in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wid77

You missed out on a cracking motor, I bought this car to replace a '98 1.8 20V, and wouldn't go back to a petrol. Engine is barely run in at 200k, and climate control will only cost <£100 to repair.

P.S. I only paid £1k :beerchug:

Imran
18-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I bought my 1999 v reg 1.8 petrol with 90k on clock for £2100 last september, he had it on for 2300, haggled him down, in the end he just wanted to get rid of me so dropped 200 quid.

If you could, get a copy of vagcom and before you buy it plug it in, if shes a friend she shouldnt say no, may just give you an idea of there are any issues :)

Hex69
18-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I bought my 1999 v reg 1.8 petrol with 90k on clock for £2100 last september, he had it on for 2300, haggled him down, in the end he just wanted to get rid of me so dropped 200 quid.

If you could, get a copy of vagcom and before you buy it plug it in, if shes a friend she shouldnt say no, may just give you an idea of there are any issues :)

Imram,

I know the seller also (she's emigrated to Canada), and have bought the car off of her. It's got FSH, and does 50+ mpg day in day out. :biglaugh:

Imran
18-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Wish I was getting that mpg :zx11: bloody petrols, going from a honda accord 2,0 petrol, where Id fill it up on pay day and then refill next pay day, to a 1.8 petrol passat fill it up on pay day then 3 weeks fill it up again. 67 quid is giving me roughly 300 miles, all local no motorway.

Yeah dieseals the way to go *sigh*, next ones defo gonna be a diesel!

Hex69
18-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I know, was getting 35 ish mpg from petrol, and was doing 500 miles a week (ouch!).

Now a tank lasts me over a week and can get 600+ miles on a tank!!

dilbert
18-03-2008, 07:23 PM
My 2000 X reg 1.9TDI PD has done 190K now, and did 30K of those last year alone. I bought it 3 years ago with 105K on it.

In the last 85K it has gone through each MOT with no work other than two bulb replacements. Expenses beyond fuel and servicing have been front and rear pads, a new battery, and a CV joint gaiter. It returns 56mpg (including a lot of short journeys around town) and is the cheapest car I've ever owned by far. Best fuel consumption was a 600 mile round trip Bristol to Newcastle at 75mpg. It still does the 10K between services without needing a drop of oil.

I can't see me parting with it for ages yet. The drive just gets better and better.

Go for it!

wid77
18-03-2008, 10:31 PM
You missed out on a cracking motor, I bought this car to replace a '98 1.8 20V, and wouldn't go back to a petrol. Engine is barely run in at 200k, and climate control will only cost <£100 to repair.

P.S. I only paid £1k :beerchug:

Congratulations! We decided against the car for a number of reasons. Hope it gives you good service. ;)