PDA

View Full Version : Q7 4M All wheel steering help please

maxw
09-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi all

ive got a q7 2016 all wheel steering and can some one who has this on there q7 would you kindly answer some questions please

if the car is sat still running and you turn the steering on full lock as you stand outside the car watching the rear wheels can you see them move and turn?

or do they only turn when car is moving?

even when I turn into my drive full lock and get out to look at the rear wheels they still look straight

I know in high speed there controlled by computer but surly they should turn when I'm turning in the drive?
May be not when stopped but if I stop half way through a turn and get out the rear wheels should be turned a little?

really hope some one can help on this as worried it's not fitted to the car

thanks all

satyp
09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I think they only move +/- 5 degrees very minute.. Will check have read or saved it somewhere

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

satyp
09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Do you not think it helps in car parks etc otherwise

srbsq7
09-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Some diagrams here might help you by looking under the car 2016 Audi Q7 - Five Link Rear Suspension With AllWheel Steeing | Wallpaper #89 iPad | 1024x768 (http://www.caricos.com/cars/a/audi/2016_audi_q7/1024x768/89.html)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satyp
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Not sure if this helps towards the middle of the article..

2017 Audi Q7 First-Drive - SlashGear (http://www.slashgear.com/2017-audi-q7-first-drive-14418324/)

satyp
10-05-2016, 09:44 AM
When I get mine, I will be looking to find someone local to me or compare to a one @ my local Audi to see if there is actually any difference on the SLOW tight turns :-) (y)

chrisjerman
10-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Just reading that , the Q7 starts at $54800 that's under 38 grand !

srbsq7
10-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I think that's before sales tax which is around 10% but is still cheap! I guess they benefit from such a big market. I get more frustrated about the lake of consistency in options between markets.

NickTyler
11-05-2016, 09:24 AM
They do only turn 5 degrees from center which is not a lot but that should still be noticeable at full lock.

maxw
13-05-2016, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys on your help

ive watched a few you tube clips etc but nothing shows the rear wheels steering at a standstill or moving slow so still stuck on this

i did see a interesting you tube clip of a guy had his car on axle stands showing the movement of the rear wheels but not at slow speeds or standing

so what I can work out so far it's prob above 10mph or so

so will either have to get under the car or pop to the dealer and put on a ramp or ask for more info

was hopping another Q7 owner had AWS also to get more thoughts on this

i was hopping it would help me park in my drive but deffently no help with that

M

JonoNZ
13-05-2016, 02:45 AM
It should help with you parking in your drive. It reduces the turning circle of the Q7 to that of the A4! On the demo we had RWS was noticeably better at getting the car into our garage (which is perpendicular to the driveway) with less manoeuvres.

satyp
13-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Dynamic mode + find a park ask someone to keep driving in a circle full lock on the steering. Car will remain in motion

You stand in the middle.. There has to be a noticeable difference in rear wheels?

NickTyler
13-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Dynamic mode + find a park ask someone to keep driving in a circle full lock on the steering. Car will remain in motion

You stand in the middle.. There has to be a noticeable difference in rear wheels?

I agree with this. Whats the point in reducing the turning circle if you have to be doing over 10mph? Everything would go flying out the window!

srbsq7
01-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Maxw did you get to the bottom of it? Just saw this on Audiworld which would explain why you couldn't see it at standstill: Rear Wheel Steering - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/rear-wheel-steering-2901494/)

satyp
01-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Maxw did you get to the bottom of it? Just saw this on Audiworld which would explain why you couldn't see it at standstill: Rear Wheel Steering - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/rear-wheel-steering-2901494/)
Awesome Stuff 👍

maxw
01-06-2016, 02:41 PM
No
not really sorted it out I've got a funny feeling it don't work when in eco
but auto seem to work but you can't see it but it does seem prob under 5MPH it don't steer so driving in my drive unless it's fast it's no use for that
but overall i.e. Turn in the road mini roundabout it makes a huge difference and works great just a shame it don't work at very low speed

i think also that it might work with the park assist but not sure

many thanks for sharing video a big help there is a sim one on you tube where guy has his car on axle stands and camera pointing at wheels

maxw
01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
No
not really sorted it out I've got a funny feeling it don't work when in eco
but auto seem to work but you can't see it but it does seem prob under 5MPH it don't steer so driving in my drive unless it's fast it's no use for that
but overall i.e. Turn in the road mini roundabout it makes a huge difference and works great just a shame it don't work at very low speed

i think also that it might work with the park assist but not sure

many thanks for sharing video a big help there is a sim one on you tube where guy has his car on axle stands and camera pointing at wheels

Its a shame Audi don't describe what it does in detail

its the same with the drive system i.e. Auto comfort Eco etc there is no real discripshion on what does what

ok dynamic speaks for it's self but auto if you throw the car in a corner or sudden boot it does it act like dynamic then normal drive act a bit like Eco you just have to guess and try

M

srbsq7
01-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Its a shame Audi don't describe what it does in detail

its the same with the drive system i.e. Auto comfort Eco etc there is no real discripshion on what does what

ok dynamic speaks for it's self but auto if you throw the car in a corner or sudden boot it does it act like dynamic then normal drive act a bit like Eco you just have to guess and try

M

Agree - it's not the best but I don't think its just Audi who are cr@p at writing detailed manuals!

I found at the weekend, Eco seems to be noticeably different when used with ACC. You feel it come of the accelerator much earlier trying to roll up to the next junction etc.

Papereyes
21-06-2016, 01:55 PM
So, how have people gotten on with AWS? Thinking about whether to swap it for running boards, I've chosen AWS on my car but prices are locked in MY16 prices, so if I swap I'm gonna have to take on the general price increase of £700 between MY16 Vs MY17

srbsq7
21-06-2016, 02:13 PM
I dont have AWS but after a month of ownership, I'm not finding I am missing it.

I was thinking it seemed better than my old X5. Just checked the official spec and X4 e70 turning circle was 12.7m and the Q7 4M is 12.4m AWS brings that down to 11.4m but for me I don't need it.

IMHO, I would say its an option you can leave off unless you have a specific need which requires that level of maneuverability.

satyp
21-06-2016, 03:00 PM
I agree... I would only consider AWS if the driving habits and places of visit of the main person driving benefits... There are a few car parks and and airport terminal that the old Q7 just and few other cars just WOULD NOT cope.. It was almost like doing 3 point turns..I personally think a lot of these are simply bad design.. But there just seems a lot of bad design in most new places in London too.. Hence I'm hoping that extra 1m makes the difference for us..

Hence it was on my order list.. To be honest I wouldnt have if i just took it work and back..

Now have the need to check what all the AWS fuss is about..

Papereyes
21-06-2016, 03:14 PM
When's your car coming in satyp, Given that we mainly drive round London with there insanely right roads was the main driver for getting it.

satyp
21-06-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm told cars still in Emden this morning 9ish days apparently.. I was following a vessel from Emden it got to sheerness Saturday so thought it was on home soil.. London roads actually are not too bad as it goes.. Some streets are with all the double cars parks5 especially Hammersmith side street areas... My main beef is with people who design the newer multistorey car parks .. I'd say about 3 out 10 can get spacing right keeping the larger cars in mind... Imo the rest just hit the side road.. I guess they have to work with the amount of cars they have to fit in as opposed to much sq. ft they have to fit the correct number of cars..

JMB7
21-06-2016, 08:03 PM
I had a Q7 without all wheel steering for 3 months but when they agreed a replacement I was allowed to add any extras I wanted and I added All wheel steering amongst others.

Only had the new car a week but the difference is noticeable, It's more like my old A4 for parking (other than the width which was always the main problem with or without all wheel steering). The other noticeable difference is the handling around the lanes in my area, just feels much tighter and almost like its on rails even in comfort mode, less roll. Overall I'm happy with the addition and my wife certainly finds it easier getting off the drive!

Papereyes
21-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks JMB7 sound advice and we have a tough drive to get off. It was the main reason to get it as my wife complains in our 5 series how too long and wide it is. That's probably the only issue I have left to deal with! Curious to know how you managed to get any extras u wanted, did you feel your boots?

JMB7
21-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Ah they weren't free extras, but as it had been a few months since the purchase I had a bit extra in the piggy bank to spec some things that I had to miss originally.

Papereyes
21-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Ahh I c, thought u got them free from the dealer!!!