PDA

View Full Version : GTTDI 130 Tank range

BSB
15-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I recently had the good fortune of a smooth run from Kent to Bolton and back and another from Kent to Wnchester and back with a little local pottering in between. My previous record had been 786 miles on one tank but on this occasion, I managed 838. Just wondered what other drivers had managed? As all of the trips were for leisure in my own time, I was mostly cruising along at just 60-65mph.

mobitune
15-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Im doing mostly short runs in mine, got close to 500 :-\

Then again, the dealer filled it until the gauge was reading full, not til the pump cut off! (The gauge started moving straight away)

StuPDi
16-10-2007, 10:09 AM
what's the capacity in the golf??

i rarely get 600 out of the audi, usually high 500's

have had the computer reading over 700, but there's too many roundabouts and traffic lights in the way :(

Stu

Col
16-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I recently had the good fortune of a smooth run from Kent to Bolton and back and another from Kent to Wnchester and back with a little local pottering in between. My previous record had been 786 miles on one tank but on this occasion, I managed 838. Just wondered what other drivers had managed? As all of the trips were for leisure in my own time, I was mostly cruising along at just 60-65mph.

Vented or un-vented tank ?

Best I ever had was about 650 unvented, reckon iit would have gone 750 vented.

BSB
16-10-2007, 02:32 PM
what's the capacity in the golf??

i rarely get 600 out of the audi, usually high 500's

have had the computer reading over 700, but there's too many roundabouts and traffic lights in the way :(

Stu
The capacity of the Golf is supposedly 56 litres though occassionally it shows a little more than that when I fill up. This time, it filled at 57.09 litres on 838.0 miles. The trip computer doesn't have a tank range reading in the Golf so I am going on actual achieved mileage.

BSB
16-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Vented or un-vented tank ?

Best I ever had was about 650 unvented, reckon iit would have gone 750 vented.
Sorry, I don't understand the term 'vented' or 'unvented' in this instance? :o

bora(ing) nick
16-10-2007, 02:52 PM
The most i have ever got is around the 650 miles (PD100) but TBH i dont try for efficieny at all.

The least i have ever had out of a full tank is around 400 miles, (but that whats you compromise for ragging it everywhere ;-) )

Nick

Col
16-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Sorry, I don't understand the term 'vented' or 'unvented' in this instance? :o

Venting the tank is bypassing built in cut off which doesn't allow you to fill the expansion space in the filler neck pipe with fuel.

If you look at the filling aperture, you will see a button on the left hand side, press this in with the filler nozzel and you can squeeze about another 5 to 6 litres in.

Do a google search on the subject of "TDI venting" "VW tank venting" etc to find out lots more and get piccies to.

v6dub
16-10-2007, 07:43 PM
i wish i could get that kind of mileage from my golf i can only manage 280 to 320 per tank, and that is if i am not going over 2500rpm.

BSB
17-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Venting the tank is bypassing built in cut off which doesn't allow you to fill the expansion space in the filler neck pipe with fuel.

If you look at the filling aperture, you will see a button on the left hand side, press this in with the filler nozzel and you can squeeze about another 5 to 6 litres in.

Do a google search on the subject of "TDI venting" "VW tank venting" etc to find out lots more and get piccies to.
Thanks for that! You learn something every day, as they say. All I know is that fuel comes right to the top of the pipe. I did once worry as I filled the car and it registered just over 60 litres of fuel and my natural cynicism led me to believe the retailer was ripping me off with inaccurately metered pumps. So does this mean I should have braved it out for another forty miles? :D

coeur
25-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I get about 530 - 550 miles to a tank averaging just under 50mpg. My daily commute is 35miles each way on dual carriage with speeds ranging from 65 to 75 mph. As good as the mpg is I still find it a little disappointing - I would expect to get over 50mpg easily on each tank.

It is due a service in the next 1000 miles so hopefully this may improve things. If not, I may have to chip it - is it really true that you get better fuel economy and better performance from a chipped diesel?

devonutopia
25-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Was this record done using venting?

My record in my fabia (45 litre tank though) is about 600 miles before the buzzer went off, then I managed another 60 or so before needing to fill up again. I average around 55mpg usually - not bad for a car with a potential 260 horses on tap should I wish to use them (and forget about the 55mpg average :D)

BSB
30-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Was this record done using venting?

My record in my fabia (45 litre tank though) is about 600 miles before the buzzer went off, then I managed another 60 or so before needing to fill up again. I average around 55mpg usually - not bad for a car with a potential 260 horses on tap should I wish to use them (and forget about the 55mpg average :D)
Having now found out what venting is and having done so last night, I can confirm that the record was set without venting. So, having read on some other forums that venting increases the capacity of the tank by some 1.9 US gallons (approx 1.5 Imperial), does that mean that over 900 miles is theoretically achievable on one tank? :confused:

Incidentally, how on earth did you achieve 260 bhp out of a 130 PD engine?