PDA

View Full Version : A4 Locking Wheel Nuts

gazd
15-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Just bought a second hand A4 1.8 that's had some RS4 alloys fitted. I want to change the tyres and guess what...the locking wheel nut adaptor key is missing:aargh4:.

Initially, I want to identify the wheel nut type to see if I can get a replacement adaptor, before resorting to the undersize socket and big hammer approach.

I have attached a picture of the offending locking nut...please can anybody identify the make/model?

paul b
15-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Jet it to Audi in the car. Let them have a look. They will sort you out with one in minutes.
Paul

gazd
16-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I was thinking that the locking nuts are not standard Audi parts, so I hadn't bothered with the main dealer...I'll rethink my approach and hot foot it down there. Cheers for that.

paul b
16-10-2007, 05:47 PM
O.k. now I see your problem. A bit of a daft question, but, do the nuts have any name on them as to who they were sold or manufactured by?

gazd
17-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, the only mark on the nuts is the stamped number "16" shown on the photo - this appears to be the diameter of the centre spigot i.e. 16mm. At least this gives me an indication of what size of undersize socket to use if I have to "pursade" them off...

gazd
18-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Just as a follow up to the locking wheel nut saga....my father turned up with some special nut remover sockets that he'd borrowed from a local independant garage. I have successfully removed all 4 locking wheel nuts, in 10 minutes, with no damage to the wheels. It could not have been easier.

These special sockets are made by an American company called Irwin and can be bought from Screwfix.com for £19.95. The 5 piece set had a 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 14mm and 16mm sockets on a 3/8" drive and can be used with various ratchets, impact drivers and wrenches etc. I believe they also do a larger set for the more standard 20, 22 and 24mm size wheel nuts. There are some good images on the Screwfix site of said nut removers.

There is little or no chance of damaging those precious alloys with these little beauties, like you might by hammering on an undersize socket. I would heartily recommend these sockets for any rounded off nut or locking wheel nut application.

Hope this info helps anybody else with a similar problem, reading various threads there are a lot of you out there.

Garry

paul b
18-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Hahaha! Come to think of it, I have one of those sets from Screwfix! I had no idea that they would sort it. I have had them months and not used them yet! Maybe they will come in handy for something.
Paul