PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights - no wash

garmcqui
07-05-2016, 11:10 AM
I thought a car with factory-fit HID lights needed automatic headlight levelling and headlight washers?

But my new A4 has said lights, but no washers?

Has this law changed now?

Ta

M1tchy
07-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it hasn't. Are you certain it doesnt have them? They only wash at random intervals and not everytime you wash the screen

garmcqui
07-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Nope, definitely hasn't got them. In fact, if I remember correctly, they were a £230 option.

zollaf
08-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Are aftermarket HID headlights legal in the UK? Will they pass an MOT? What about LED headlights? | Greyhead.co.uk (http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarket-hid-lights-legal-in-the-uk)

this is interesting, as basically they dont need washers or self levelling if they are less than 2000 lumens.
washers also only need to work if they are fitted, so if they are not fitted then they are not a fail. if they are fitted and dont work then they fail. its madness, utter madness.

satsu
08-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Ah, so they are still mandatory for all LED lights. I was wondering why mine had turned up with washers when I hadn't selected the option, although clearly not enough to be bothered looking it up! Cheers

cm-mojo
19-05-2016, 10:21 AM
No they are not mandatory for LEDs either, the lumen rule still remains, essentially the Xenons installed on the A4 are 25w, not the usual 35w, and therefore the lumen output drops below the 2000 threshold. The LEDS lumen output is below 2000 aswell, and hence does not come with washers as standard. Its a 250 option across the board. if you have them, then either the dealer chucked them in for free, or you've paid for them.

satsu
19-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Ah yes. Re-reading the beautifully convoluted legal wording auto-levellers are required for all LEDs but washers are only for >2000 lumens.

Definitely didn't order them though. Here's the full option list from my order:

I think they just have a bit of straightening out of their options to do, as the car also has the hands-free boot opening feature, which according to the brochure only comes with the £525 advanced key.

cm-mojo
20-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Hmm, interesting, sounds like the robots were just feeling a bit generous when they put your car together ;-)

cm-mojo
20-05-2016, 08:37 AM
according to the brochure, the comfort and sound pack comes with convenience key.....would that not give you the kick function?

garmcqui
21-05-2016, 06:46 PM
the Xenons installed on the A4 are 25w, not the usual 35w, and therefore the lumen output drops below the 2000 threshold.

This makes sense - I drove mine at night for the first time a few days ago, and remember being unimpressed with the light output on dark roads - my wife's Golf GTD blows it out of the water in terms of illumination

satsu
22-05-2016, 09:22 PM
according to the brochure, the comfort and sound pack comes with convenience key.....would that not give you the kick function?

According to the brochure you need the advanced key for the kick function, which is totally different from the convenience key. Unless it's exactly the same. The brochure is not clear on this point, along with many others. :confused: