PDA

View Full Version : Passat Motorway Humming

ljloubouch
02-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Greetings to everyone from the Czech republic,

I am here simply to check a problem which has occured on my B8 but which I have now seen recorded by another user of a local Czech VW forum. I have a Passat sedan, 110kw 2.0 diesel and have only had it as a company car for 3 weeks. Since taking the car from the dealer, I have been hearing very strange humming noises coming from somewhere in the front when on the motorway. They are loudest when on relatively smooth surfaces and vary anywhere between "I can't almost hear it" to "the radio is not loud enough for this", going from aprox 125km/h (70mph) and then basically taking over the enginge noise, the wind noise...everything. Basically its like there's another engine somewhere at the front that's much more loud than the diesel...a very deep, constant humming noise. There are days and situations when its hardly audible and days when I can't hear anything else and (but that's maybe just me), they seem to dissapearing the longer I drive on a motorway at one point in time. My dealer is yet to find what's actually wrong with the car, guesses being anything from aerodynamics (but they checked and nothing is loose), through tyres (Conti EcoContact 5) down to the DSG automatic transmition. Anyway, I asked at a local Czech VW owners forum (which only has a few Passat B8 registered users) and one person came back to me, saying he has the same thing, from the very start, with the sounds getting louder as the car has more kms (he has 7000kms, I only have 2.500). Have any of you had the same problem? Thinking its either a problem with a certain "batch" or something across the early 2016 models (meaning it would be both on right and left hand drives). Exactly the sort of problem that can take months and years to solve! Thank you!

MattB247
04-06-2016, 06:39 AM
Funny you should say this - I've had my 150 diesel for 3 weeks now and I'm noticing when I drive there's quite a droning noise coming from the engine. Coming from a Volvo I just thought it was because it was a different engine, and I have the sound deadening glass too which isolates me a bit from the outside, but I'm sure my engine is a bit hummy. I'll monitor it and see what the dealership says.

technik
04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
It might be the bulkhead pipe vibration issue a lot of people have experienced. Is it humming between a certain rev range? Try dropping a gear whilst using the cruise to see if it stops. Mine has it at about 2000rpm and it's def a vibration hum.