PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Have I bought a dud

Ben gt
02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Just picked up a 1.6 FSI (55 plate) for my missus to use as a run around whilst she is on maternity leave. The car has very heavy steering and pulls to he left a lot so looking around it seems it could be the electric power steering shot. The previous owner said there was a 'fault' with the power steering when it went for its MOT but nothing major. So worst case scenario, if the rack needs replacing, is it a case of £100 for a replacement from eBay and the labour to fit (couple of hundred?) or are my figures way out?
Thanks in advance
Ben

Rob69
02-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Hi Ben, first off if you got it from a garage I'd take it back, if private sale not sure how much recourse you'd have. Also wondering why you bought it with this fault unless it was peanuts. Have you got any warning lights on the dash to indicate a rack fault, uneven tyre wear or rumbling tyre noise indicating tracking is out or front and rear suspension bushes worn throwing out front or rear wheel alignment.
Afraid to say it's not a cheap, quick fix.

Ben gt
02-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Ben, first off if you got it from a garage I'd take it back, if private sale not sure how much recourse you'd have. Also wondering why you bought it with this fault unless it was peanuts. Have you got any warning lights on the dash to indicate a rack fault, uneven tyre wear or rumbling tyre noise indicating tracking is out or front and rear suspension bushes worn throwing out front or rear wheel alignment.
Afraid to say it's not a cheap, quick fix.

Thanks for this.

It was an eBay sale so sold as seen, I paid 1k for it so nothing major and wasn't listed in advert. It has just come through its mot so still road worthy (apparently!)

No lights or anything but obvious heavy steering and pulling.

The guy said he was quoted £300 to get it repaired, including getting the tracking done, which could be rubbish I know but trying to plan for worst case scenario

niall campbell
02-05-2016, 08:25 PM
have you checked the power steering fluid level ?

if steering is heavy, is the tyres inflated properly ?

is your car electric power steering pump or belt driven power steering ? So if its belt driven, is the belt fitted or slipping ?

Can you tell us the colour of the power steering oil please

Ben gt
02-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Turns out the steering thing is a non-issue...the bearings have gone in the engine. Even if it could steer the engine is on its very last legs :( proper dud!

Rob69
02-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Tough luck bud! Negative feedback for that fleabayer, or buyer beware.