PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat Entertainment - Which am I getting?

Thakey17
01-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm so confused. I've ordered my new car with the Rear Seat Entertainment. I was advised against it by a few people who were saying that it was just a couple of Samsung tablets, not worth the money. The feed back I've read online, in particular some US owners, is terrible. All of the pictures in the brochure and on the configurator show what looks like the old system which are the Samsung tablets.

While looking around on youtube most of what I have seen seems to be the new Nvidia tablets which link in to the MMI that Audi showed over 18 months ago saying that it will be fitted to the 2016 Q7. These look great and also link via wifi to the DVD player up front. These are what I want. My dealer is unsure why they are not available. I have since emailed Audi UK about this and am still waiting for a response.

Looking around it seems to be exactly the same system as what's on the new Bentley Bentayga, so it's obviously more than a prototype system.

Does anyone know more about this new system, and if it's due out soon? I will definitely be cancelling the system if it's still the old version.

I've attached a photo of the new one that I really want.

Any info appreciated.

srbsq7
01-05-2016, 09:21 PM
I didn't realise there were different versions. Audi UK site / brochure seems to have the old one but German site has the new one. Hopefully MY17 will see them on the UK cars too?

Thakey17
01-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I didn't realise there were different versions. Audi UK site / brochure seems to have the old one but German site has the new one. Hopefully MY17 will see them on the UK cars too?

The dealer did read up again on his list of updates and couldn't find anything. Interesting that it is on the German site. I have also gone on to the Nvidia UK site and they say that they supply the system to Audi.

With the rear seat system now being totally dependant on wifi does that mean that it can be easily retro fitted at a later date should it come out later in the year? I wonder how much hard wiring from the factory is needed in the car to fit these new tablet style systems?

Thakey17
02-05-2016, 10:19 PM

I had a look on the German site and found it. I think it's safe to say that there is no confusion as to what I'm getting for my £1100. It will not be the new system. See the attached screen shot. If the new system is the same price as in Germany than I worked it out on today's rate at £2800 for the two screens and install of the docking!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!:aargh4:

Not sure if I'll be adding that....... but defo cancelling the current choice. New Ipad minis for the kids then.30562

srbsq7
02-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I just use a holder that clamps to the headrest and holds an iPad. I've got too much investment in Apple to have to buy again into an Android ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thakey17
02-05-2016, 11:08 PM
I think that's the best option for me too. I just really wanted the ease of just chucking in a DVD and keeping the little ones quiet.

andyhud007
03-05-2016, 07:04 AM
I was looking into RSE in the new Q7 and stumbled across this (very thorough) first post

2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2017-q7-rse-review-horrible-rear-seat-entertainment-system-2897011/)

I'm confused as hell as to what is/is not possible now (after seeing the Audi marketing video): Audi Q7 - Audi tablet | Video | Audi MediaTV (https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audimediatv/video/audi-q7-audi-tablet-400)

Thakey17
03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I was looking into RSE in the new Q7 and stumbled across this (very thorough) first post

2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2017-q7-rse-review-horrible-rear-seat-entertainment-system-2897011/)

I'm confused as hell as to what is/is not possible now (after seeing the Audi marketing video): Audi Q7 - Audi tablet | Video | Audi MediaTV (https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audimediatv/video/audi-q7-audi-tablet-400)

That is exactly the complaint that I read and has put me off totally from the cheaper version. The youtube video that you linked is the new system which is great and does everything that you'd want it to, it even links via wifi to the DVD player up front. Perfect in all but price. If available soon in the UK I'd expect it to be about £2800 with two screens all fitted. I love my kids but that's a hard additional amount to swallow when I've already been a little "tick happy" with the options boxes.......

andyhud007
03-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Agreed, I feel a universal Ipad mount and 2 ipads are probably the better choice. If you want to keep it OEM'y get 2 pairs of Audi Bluetooth headsets :D

andyhud007
03-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I spoke to a dealer and they can't be retro-fitted unless you have had the RSE prep work done on your front seats. You'd know if you have if the seats have a little plastic flap that lifts up on the back of the seats with metal prongs to accept the mount and power. Inside the seat is extra cabling etc which is impossible to retro-fit

However, from factory order you need to just make sure you have the newer ver as you mentioned. Best of luck!

Thakey17
03-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Think I'll wait to see if the new version is listed on the MY17 options and then decide. My wife really wants an OEM system as she's fed up of cables but she'll have to go without a hell of a lot of Birthday and Christmas presents for the new system!!!!!

Andy, really appreciate the info, thanks for that.

srbsq7
03-05-2016, 05:24 PM
Can you get the prep done in the UK? I saw on the German or US sites it was a c.£150 option but don't think it was on the UK configurator. Would have probably got it done for that money.

andyhud007
03-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Yep, I saw that too. It doesnt appear to be a UK "option" to have the prep done on its own. Who knows, it could be possible to retro-fit. I could prob find the part details on ETKA

Thakey17
03-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Can you get the prep done in the UK? I saw on the German or US sites it was a c.£150 option but don't think it was on the UK configurator. Would have probably got it done for that money.

Not that I'm aware, no sign of it anywhere. Agreed, even if not buying the tablets just yet well worth getting the prep done.

Thakey17
04-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Bad news. Just had Audi UK call me back regards my request for info in the new tablet. It's not coming to the UK!!!!!! No idea if it will at all. He said that they have had numerous calls from customers and dealers all confused and the info they have from the factory is "not for the foreseeable".

Might be worth pushing the dealer to see if I can at least pay for the prep to be done for the future. Worth the gamble for £250.

Big_D_80
04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
I have the rear entertainment and can confirm it is the 'older' system not the AUDI tablet set up. It works ok for what it is. I wouldn't shell out over double for the tablet version in any case. These things work perfectly well for the kids and I stick to all my apple tech for outside the car use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thakey17
05-05-2016, 11:30 PM
I have the rear entertainment and can confirm it is the 'older' system not the AUDI tablet set up. It works ok for what it is. I wouldn't shell out over double for the tablet version in any case. These things work perfectly well for the kids and I stick to all my apple tech for outside the car use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you're the only person that has this system on this thread, I would really appreciate some more info on it.

In what way do you use them? Do you stream everything? If so what is the data usage like? I have seen that I could purchase a portable DVD player and plug via the HDMI IN. What worries me is the mirroring where both screens will show the same picture / audio etc. Does this all work fine?

My wife is really pushing me on this as she really wants a genuine Audi system not after market. I'm unsure based on what I've read online so any help will be massively appreciated.

Big_D_80
06-05-2016, 08:44 AM
As you're the only person that has this system on this thread, I would really appreciate some more info on it.

In what way do you use them? Do you stream everything? If so what is the data usage like? I have seen that I could purchase a portable DVD player and plug via the HDMI IN. What worries me is the mirroring where both screens will show the same picture / audio etc. Does this all work fine?

My wife is really pushing me on this as she really wants a genuine Audi system not after market. I'm unsure based on what I've read online so any help will be massively appreciated.

Well the tablets are quite bulky. You can use them outside the car but you probably wouldn't want to given their size. Battery life is about 5 hours from a full charge when not connected in the car.
I tend to use SD cards to play content for the kids. Music and videos. They can use their own headphones Inc Bluetooth ones so no wires. You can download apps from the Google store including games (but they are awkward to play if the kids have to reach the screen to control). The interface is very simple but works well for its intended purpose. I think linking up to a DVD player would be ugly and a pain so ive not tried that. You can rip a dvd to an SD card though. The tablets play pretty much any video format. I've not come across anything they can't play. The performance is great. You can send the video from one to the other tablet so they both sync the same thing and that works fine or each tablet can play their own thing. The screen is anti reflective and also it's safe to use as it been deigned as a car tablet whereas an iPad hasn't. The anti reflective properties can make the screen look a bit blurred compared to the latest Retina display iPads when using the menu functions but when playing content the quality is fantastic and I see why they did this. It's a feature rather than an problem. I feel more comfortable knowing that the screen are built and design for use in the car from a safety perspective, even though they are quite expensive compared to what you get in the latest consumer tablets. They are easy to clip in and take out.
I have them connected to my iPhone hotspot for using some of the apps like google maps. Data use is not too bad but I wouldn't let the kids stream hours of you tube content because that would eat up your data tethering. They are definitely nice to have for long journeys and I do like the fact that they are OEM and tested specifically for use in Audi cars. The integration is great but it is unfortunate that you cannot play content from the main MMI however most of the time the kids want to watch or listen to something different than those up front anyway. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.

Thakey17
06-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Well the tablets are quite bulky. You can use them outside the car but you probably wouldn't want to given their size. Battery life is about 5 hours from a full charge when not connected in the car.
I tend to use SD cards to play content for the kids. Music and videos. They can use their own headphones Inc Bluetooth ones so no wires. You can download apps from the Google store including games (but they are awkward to play if the kids have to reach the screen to control). The interface is very simple but works well for its intended purpose. I think linking up to a DVD player would be ugly and a pain so ive not tried that. You can rip a dvd to an SD card though. The tablets play pretty much any video format. I've not come across anything they can't play. The performance is great. You can send the video from one to the other tablet so they both sync the same thing and that works fine or each tablet can play their own thing. The screen is anti reflective and also it's safe to use as it been deigned as a car tablet whereas an iPad hasn't. The anti reflective properties can make the screen look a bit blurred compared to the latest Retina display iPads when using the menu functions but when playing content the quality is fantastic and I see why they did this. It's a feature rather than an problem. I feel more comfortable knowing that the screen are built and design for use in the car from a safety perspective, even though they are quite expensive compared to what you get in the latest consumer tablets. They are easy to clip in and take out.
I have them connected to my iPhone hotspot for using some of the apps like google maps. Data use is not too bad but I wouldn't let the kids stream hours of you tube content because that would eat up your data tethering. They are definitely nice to have for long journeys and I do like the fact that they are OEM and tested specifically for use in Audi cars. The integration is great but it is unfortunate that you cannot play content from the main MMI however most of the time the kids want to watch or listen to something different than those up front anyway. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.

Thanks @Big D 80 , I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that info. You made them sound good, do you work for Audi??? Ha ha.... I'm useless with tech but will look at how I can rip DVDs to SD, sound like a plan. The big thing for me was the mirroring on both screens as previous reviews said that it didn't work smoothly, but as you say yours is fine I might just leave it on my spec and go with them.

Is there also an App that you can have to control content from your phone? I'm sure one of the videos for this particular system shows it.

Big_D_80
07-05-2016, 09:22 PM
No prob. Yep the app is ok but I don't really use it.

Rajan Joarder
11-09-2016, 09:28 PM

Thank you for the detailed info.... thats really helpfull.... but I got a question... you mentioned that no content can be palyed from the main MMI up front. But is it possible to stream audio via bluetooth from the tablets at the rear to the MMI up front.... I mean play audio through the car speaker system via bluetooth when watching a movie or playing a song ? I remember reading on some forum that the MMI recognises the tablets only as media sources, but donot stream audio from them...like it does from ,lets say an iphone or android phone. So am a bit confused....
Was planning to get the same for my car. So the info would be much appreciated...

Skippy73
11-09-2016, 09:55 PM
I really don't know why everyone is so keen on RSE. Just get to standard size iPads. You don't need rear seat mounts unless you have a really little one. Our kids 4 and 12 have an iPad each. Their iPads have the favourite games etc on them that they like, plus it has Netflix on each that can be streamed via WiFi our 4 year olds Netflix is locked to G rated only. Plus I have a Seagate wifi hard drive in the car that has a shed load of movies. They each have their own wireless headphones also. Couldn't ask for anything more for the kids: games, Netflix and a catalogue of Movies on the wireless hard drive. Perfect.

Rajan Joarder
12-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Well i already ordered the rse as an option..... have the ipads on the other car. So dont wanna buy another pair of ipads again.... But i really wanna know if the RSE can play audio via bluetooth through the car speakers....? If they cant I am gonna cancel my order. So if anyone can help....it would be great.

Skippy73
12-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Well i already ordered the rse as an option..... have the ipads on the other car. So dont wanna buy another pair of ipads again.... But i really wanna know if the RSE can play audio via bluetooth through the car speakers....? If they cant I am gonna cancel my order. So if anyone can help....it would be great.

Gotta ya mate

Rajan Joarder
12-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Guys... anyone... could really use some help here.... the RSE tablets do or doesnot stream audio via bluetooth through the car speakers...????

Thakey17
12-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Can't help at present. Mine is due at the end of the month so won't have a clue until I play around with it.

srbsq7
12-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Guys... anyone... could really use some help here.... the RSE tablets do or doesnot stream audio via bluetooth through the car speakers...????

Hi Rajan,

I just had a quick look In the manual and it would appear it can do this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/a23ccb6ad4b470e0d48e11e8bbad3f72.jpg

Rajan Joarder
12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi Rajan,

I just had a quick look In the manual and it would appear it can do this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/a23ccb6ad4b470e0d48e11e8bbad3f72.jpg

Thanks a lot..man for taking the time to post this.... btw... the manual says audi tablet.... this is for the Audi entertainment mobile tablets right...? Not the new nvdia audi tabs which is only available in germany...?

srbsq7
12-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks a lot..man for taking the time to post this.... btw... the manual says audi tablet.... this is for the Audi entertainment mobile tablets right...? Not the new nvdia audi tabs which is only available in germany...?

I was about to say it must be as this is from my MY16 manual and it's never been available but looking at the spec sheet it looks like it's the NVidia's. Audi have done a really sh!t job on these:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/6906635fb2957a245d9d44ca88a1bef7.jpg

There's a long discussion on Audiworld and one of those guys should able to help.

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 05:50 AM
I was about to say it must be as this is from my MY16 manual and it's never been available but looking at the spec sheet it looks like it's the NVidia's. Audi have done a really sh!t job on these:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/6906635fb2957a245d9d44ca88a1bef7.jpg

There's a long discussion on Audiworld and one of those guys should able to help.

Yup... definately the new Nvdia tablets..... so i guess its still questionable if the old RSE android tablets have a similar feature.... I mean playing audio over the car speakers... and I did post a similar question on Audiworld.... no one answered yet..... am soo confused man....

andyhud007
13-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Yeah I heard we get the older tablets for rse. Why is that?

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Only available in germany..... the new ones..... such a bummer.... almost racist... lol

Thakey17
13-09-2016, 07:49 AM
I think I said previously on this thread that the new Nvidia tablets are used on the Bentley Bentayga so obviously the system works over here so why can't Audi use it?

Rajan, for reference I did also work out from the German configurator that they cost nearly 3k for 2 tabs and prep. Nearly 3 times as much as the Entertainment Mobile.

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Not only the bentayga but also the mulsanne.... but if u buy a regular nvdia tablet.... similar specs.... its a lot cheaper.... definately... way way overpriced.... just cuz of the car infotainment intrigration and fancy app for the specific car... and car logo...

andyhud007
13-09-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't have it but agree with all of that. Surely 2 fruit flavoured tablets or similar and a couple of mounts I sure you can get from eBay or alibaba would be a lot cheaper?

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Still need the info... do the audi Entertainment mobile play audio over the car speakers...?

andyhud007
13-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Suggest either:
1. Ring Audi Customer Services and ask
2. Ring some random dealers (Stoke Audi are pretty good) and ask

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Suggest either:
1. Ring Audi Customer Services and ask
2. Ring some random dealers (Stoke Audi are pretty good) and ask

Alteady tried.... they either say that they dont know, or they have never tried playing audio via car speakers. Cant even find any info or manuals for them on the net either.....seriorly is this such a rare thing...?

andyhud007
13-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Fair enough. I can't be sure but look at it this way. I can play music from my Phone via Bluetooth to the MMI and out the car speakers. Therefore, hypothetically, the same rules should apply for the tablets.

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Fair enough. I can't be sure but look at it this way. I can play music from my Phone via Bluetooth to the MMI and out the car speakers. Therefore, hypothetically, the same rules should apply for the tablets.

You are technically correct. However I read this thread ( 2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2017-q7-rse-review-horrible-rear-seat-entertainment-system-2897011/) ) and the guy said it cant. That is the reason why I am so confused...

andyhud007
13-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Then I'm all out of answers sorry. If someone has RSE and can test it, thats, as you know, is your only real choice...

Best of luck

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Then I'm all out of answers sorry. If someone has RSE and can test it, thats, as you know, is your only real choice...

Best of luck

Yes i guess so...or wait till my one arrives. Thanks anyway for taking the time to help.

srbsq7
13-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Have a look at the 3rd video here at around 6m 30s

Audi Help & Support | Audi USA (https://www.audiusa.com/help)

Looks like it does work

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 07:52 PM

Looks like it does work

Thank you soo much....

Thakey17
13-09-2016, 07:55 PM

Looks like it does work

srbsq7, you're a legend!! That's the only video I've seen about using them. I've ordered them and was still in the dark about how they operated. I admit they are pretty basic and not up to spec of an iPad but for me it was the whole oem and crash safe aspect of the system. I'll probably hate them when they arrive.

Thanks for sharing that link. Huge help.

Rajan Joarder
13-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Just watched the video... definately works..and most importantly answered my question. Thanks srnsq7.. you' r the man!!! Will post.. once I get hands on...

srbsq7
13-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Glad to help - distracted me from the sweaty train journey home! [emoji3]

andyhud007
14-09-2016, 04:54 PM
That is great stuff SrbSQ7.... love this forum...:beerchug: